Condition Red At Work After Hours

This is a discussion on Condition Red At Work After Hours within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work for a large international engineering/contracting company. All of our offices have gun-free policies. A few months ago, at one of our company's offices, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condition Red At Work After Hours

Condition Red At Work After Hours

I work for a large international engineering/contracting company. All of our offices have gun-free policies. A few months ago, at one of our company's offices, one of our employees was planning to work late; he went to his car to retrieve his handgun so that he would have it when he walked to the car in the dark later that night. As time when on, he became aware of noises coming from the conference room. He apparently went immediately to Condition Red and stormed the conference room, gun drawn and finger on the trigger. It turned out one of his coworkers was also working late on a project in the conference room and almost got shot. I'm sure he didn't appreciate the near-death experience.

Many of us write often about maintaining Condition Orange, not White. Let's just remember to keep it Orange until we know the facts and have verified that a threat really exists. The shooting of innocents gives our entire CCW community a black eye.

2. Remove Ads

Good point. We do need to keep our heads about us at all times, not just when we are "scanning".

On a side note, this guy wasn't thinking very well in the first place. You just don't go storming a room because you heard a noise, and I won't even mention the finger on the trigger thing.

Oh, Good Lord! I hope this co-worker of yours learned a lesson. What a blatantly stupid thing to do. Did he get fired?

Thank GOD he didn't shoot anyone.
    Proud Georgia Firearms Licensee
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Seecamp LWS32
    Browning Buckmark
    Walther P22
    Bersa Thunder 380

i think it is very important to remember to keep the gun holstered until it is time to use it. it is also a great idea to yell loud and clear for that person to id them self before drawing anything and as puple88yj said lets not get on the finger on the trigger deal.

it was a good post to remember wht we r doin whn we go frm orange to red. thanks
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

A disater narrowly averted. Why didn't he just call security/police and leave? Is he still working there?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I wish I could answer your questions about what happened to the gun-happy employee, but I only caught an email of what happened before, not what happened after. I suspect he would have been terminated.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I had a friend who was sitting at his desk looking out the window one day. He saw one of his employees who had taken sick leave, drive up and get out of his car and walk toward the entrance to the building. All of a sudden, two police cars drove up onto the lawn and several Police Officers took the employee down at gun point. Later my friend was told the employees wife had called police and informed them that her husband had gone to the "office" to kill his boss. The officers took a 9mm pistol off of the employee who was comming to kill his boss, my friend. My friend worked in a Gun Free Zone. Nothing in the world would have prevented his death if the wife had not called the PD.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    Infamous slow and double post.
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

I often work late in my building in an office/industrial area and am the last to lock up and leave. We do not have a "gun" policy as nobody thinks people would carry. People know I shoot and have a pocket knife but I deflect all inquires about anything else.

One night it is just I and a female coworker. She tells me she is leaving as I head to the back to lock up. As I come from the warehouse to the office area I notice all the hall lights are out. I figure she turned them off out of habit. As I walk down the darkenned hallway a shape jumps out at me from a pitch black office and yelling (no word, just a yell).

I step back and to the right punching with my left fist while my right hand pushes back my sports jacket, and grabs a wad of shirt to pull it out of my tuckable holster. Just as the punch is about to land I realize it is the stupid female coworker playing a joke on me. I do connect with the bridge of her nose but managed to pull the punch enough to just hurt her but not break anything or knock her down. With tears in her eyes she was outraged at how I responded... This coming from the very woman who was upset because women were allowed to be alone in the office at night to lock up without any of the men being required to stay late "just in case." Go Figure.

She never noticed the partially untucked shirt, being a little more concerned with being punched in the nose. She wasn't dumb enough to file a complaint, and she is a friend (albiet one of the sheep) but her telling of the story at lunch the next day did not gain her any real sympathy. At the same time people consider me paranoid!

By all means react, at the same time don't overreact!

Maybe It's Just Me...

but I would not be searching from room to room for the 'strange sound' or unwanted visitor at work (home is a different story). The point at which I begin searching for the BG is the point at which it changes from self-defense to ?????
    Dial 911 and Domino's...both should arrive at the same time...a late dinner and protection.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

And that is where the no gun rules come from.

VIP Member
    Not too bright that guy. Run through how many people it could be...other co-worker working late, janitor, maintenance. Sounds like this guy needs a CCW class and some followup training.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

retsupt99 (and others) have it correct... secure yourself and diall 911. It ain't my job to defend my employers property.

Reaffirms the rule that you can't shoot over stuff and it is better to avoid situations and leave the area if possible before engaging in a confrontation. If there is no other reasonable alternative, then that is something else. As long as no one is visibly in danger, family is all safe, and you can leave, I think its just wise to leave and not confront. That's what the cops are for and no stuff is worth it.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Work View Post
    I had a friend who was sitting at his desk looking out the window one day. He saw one of his employees who had taken sick leave, drive up and get out of his car and walk toward the entrance to the building. All of a sudden, two police cars drove up onto the lawn and several Police Officers took the employee down at gun point. Later my friend was told the employees wife had called police and informed them that her husband had gone to the "office" to kill his boss. The officers took a 9mm pistol off of the employee who was comming to kill his boss, my friend. My friend worked in a Gun Free Zone. Nothing in the world would have prevented his death if the wife had not called the PD.

Jungle Work
    That kind of scenario is terrifying, and is the reason why I think that thinking people should defy such idiotic "we'd-rather-you-get-murdered-than-incur-liability-costs-by-allowing-CCW" employment policies.

Glad your friend ended up okay. What a courageous wife that was, who found it in herself to call the police on her own husband. A good woman -- one who knew she couldn't live with someone's death on her hands if she could prevent it.

-peacefuljeffrey

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links