Northwest Arkansas - Nighthawk Custom Training?

This is a discussion on Northwest Arkansas - Nighthawk Custom Training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever been to one of these classes? I am interested in some actual training, but I don't want to wind up at Billy ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Northwest Arkansas - Nighthawk Custom Training?

Has anyone ever been to one of these classes? I am interested in some actual training, but I don't want to wind up at Billy Bob's School of Gunslingin'

From their website and Facebook page, it looks like it is a low-budget operation, but they seem to have quality instruction and a good range.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Google a bit about Nighthawk's firearms. Take a look at those who endorse them.

Google a bit about their guest instructors:
    Instructors - Nighthawk Custom Training Academy, Centerton AR

As with many things firearms related, their website and social-media pages simply may not have yet caught up with the times, but that does -NOT- mean that they are eitehr fly-by-night or low-budget.

Look at the Milt Sparks website, for instance.

Don't judge a book by its cover. Actually look into the text. In this case, you'll find that, just like you said, the quality of instructors is "quality" (to say the least!).

In terms of training, it's arguable that the instructor/instructor cadre matters most.

There is an old thread on M4C.net - a training heavy community - that greatly benefits the newcomer to the civilian training world, which you seem to be just such a newcomer. I'll search up that thread and link it here.

I'm actually having trouble searching up that thread that I *really* want, but this one likely applies well to you, given your avatar.

Where to start? - M4Carbine.net Forums

The following post by Jack Leuba will get you prepped for the class. It's carbine-centric, but what's prep for a carbine class also works well for a pistol class, once you substitute "pistol" in for the rifle, of course. ---->

So you want to go to a Training Course for the first time? - M4Carbine.net Forums

And in terms of being someone who is new to the civilian training community, how do you know what names you can trust?

Tier 1 Instructor - M4Carbine.net Forums

There's some good discussion to help you figure out how/with whom to spend your money. But that said....

First, I'd honestly join your local shooting/concealed-carry community and get recommendations from your local enthusiasts. Even in small local/regional Forums, there's usually at least a few who are serious about training who can refer you to good local schools.

Local schools shouldn't be discounted just because they don't have the household name trainers or the facilities of bigger schools. Oftentimes, they can provide excellent instruction at greatly reduced costs. My local schools are some of the best money I've ever spent - one's run by a former Marine Scout Sniper, another by a former military pistol trainer, yet another by a family of local active-duty LEOs. Sure, they don't have the cachet of the big names, but I can tell you that everything they've taught me has more than served me well in those big-name classes. The tempo, particularly at the absolute beginner's level, may not be the same as that of the "bigger schools," but that also can work in your favor if this is your first time at such classes: it will prevent you from being "that guy" at one of the bigger classes.
    Last edited by TSiWRX; December 9th, 2012 at 05:17 PM.
    MacNobody likes this.

Thank you, I appreciate the links and time you put into your reply.

^ No problem! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by MacNobody View Post
    Has anyone ever been to one of these classes? I am interested in some actual training, but I don't want to wind up at Billy Bob's School of Gunslingin'

From their website and Facebook page, it looks like it is a low-budget operation, but they seem to have quality instruction and a good range.
    I've been to Nighthawk Custom Training Academy twice. I know Jon Hodoway, one of the owners, very well. I've attended 2 MAG 40 classes there and was an assistant instructor at one of them. It's a very nice range and you'll be treated very well. It's definitely not a low budget operation. Quite the opposite.
    Bob Mayne
    HandgunWorld Podcast
    www.handgunworld.com
    Suarez International Instructor

Thanks Bob.

I didn't mean low budget in a strictly negative term. I think a better descriptive term would be low overhead maybe? I can't afford the price tag for MAG40 yet but I plan to go check them out on an IDPA weekend. I met Jon at a recent gun show and instantly liked him.

Heyyy, I LIKE training at BBSG (Billy Bob's School of Gunslingin').
    MacNobody likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Links