Who of the major trainers offers the best training?

This is a discussion on Who of the major trainers offers the best training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Of the more popular trainers that we all see advertise in national magazines, who offers the best training? Are there small training companies that do ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who of the major trainers offers the best training?

Who of the major trainers offers the best training?

Of the more popular trainers that we all see advertise in national magazines, who offers the best training? Are there small training companies that do just as well as the big guys for a reasonable price? Is force on force training more effective than other more traditional methods?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    There\'s so many training facilites and instructors that offer any number of different courses. Sometimes the travel and cost prohibits people from taking the classes. If you\'re on a budget, try a local IDPA chapter.

Blackwater USA is in North Carolina.

Contact Defense travels.

Firearms Academy of Seattle is close to Seattle.

Gunsite was founded by Jeff Cooper.

International Tactical Training Seminars is in southern California and they also travel. You can find Scott Reitz there, and you can also find him in the bonus features in Dawn of the Dead.

Trident Concepts travels around the country. You can find Jeff Gonzales there.

Valhalla Training Center is in Colorado. You can find SWAT\'s Rob Pincus there.

Yavapai Firearms Academy is a mobile training center and you can find Louis Awerbuck there.

Rifles Only is in Texas.

Defensive Edge Training & Consulting is in MN.

Suarez International is Gabe Suarez\'s mobile training center.

There\'s lots of others.

Randy Cain of Cumberland Tactics brings \'big school'training to a number of locations nationwide for a very reasonable price. He teaches everything from Tactical Handgun 101 (my favorite) to Precision Rifle to Close Quarters Combat. Look him up at http://www.cumberlandtactics.com
    Randy is quiet and unassuming, but dont let that fool you. He knows whats what. Randy has a way of making you feel very at ease while at the same time piquing your interest and making you want to learn more. Just cant say enough about this gentleman.
    My humble opinion, as always.

Dan

First

Ayoob\'s LFI I, after that Farnam, Givens, Smith, Gunsite, to name a few.

the best pure shooting school I have ever seen is the Roger\'s Shooting School in Georgia.

Bill Rogers will certainly teach you how to shoot. I thought I was good until the first time I shot the plates at the Rogers school.
    I have learned more about shooting in reaction time than I thought was possible.

Mike

Membership Revoked Array clubsoda22's Avatar
    The only i\'ve trained with is Tactical Responce Inc. It\'s an excellent outfit with top notch training, it\'s also what i think is one of the best deals going. 2 day classes run $300, if you travel to their home range in TN you can retake any of the classes you have taken at half price. If you take any of their classes they also invite you to TN to take part in a 2 da alumni class free of charge. Even with one class you can attend the alumni class every year.

Edit: After reading the below posts, i\'ll say that the owner is a contractor in the sandbox (Former LE) and his instructors consist of people with LE or Mil backgrounds.

There is no \"best\" out there. There are a lot of \"different\" trainers and training. Some are pretty good, some are questionable at best. What might be the best training for me could be the worst training for someone else. There are a few \"big-name\" trainers that are complete frauds and there are a few relatively unknown trainers that are as good as you will find. Balance your needs with your resources, do some checking around, make an informed decision.

Care to air some laundry???

Originally posted by David Armstrong
    There are a few \"big-name\" trainers that are complete frauds and there are a few relatively unknown trainers that are as good as you will find.

Originally posted by APachon
    Let\'s just say that I would be very wary of \"warriors\" who have never been in a real war (or even in the military!) and/or trainers that have a reputation (and criminal record) for fraudulent actions and dishonesty. I\'ll gladly share specific names and issues in private, but I\'m not too sure I would want to start something like this with any specificity in an open forum.

DC Founder
    Originally posted by David Armstrong
    Originally posted by APachon
    Let\'s just say that I would be very wary of \"warriors\" who have never been in a real war (or even in the military!) and/or trainers that have a reputation (and criminal record) for fraudulent actions and dishonesty. I\'ll gladly share specific names and issues in private, but I\'m not too sure I would want to start something like this with any specificity in an open forum.
    Yeah, that should probably be kept private rather than posted openly, but you have tweaked my interest now. I think by your comments I know one that you described. If I am correct I have had the same suspicions....

VIP Member
    and/or trainers that have a reputation (and criminal record) for fraudulent actions and dishonesty
    I do believe I know who you\'re talking about. I agree.

Betty,

PM sent.

SSKC

How come nobody has mentioned THUNDER RANCH? I\'d love to go there. Clint Smith is now officially my hero for his recent gun mag article for us aging folks who\'s \"front sight\" has grown a bit fuzzy. Makes me feel like I\'m no longer alone.....lol.

Senior Moderator
    I\'ve been to Blackwater, Thunder Ranch, Gunsite, and another school and I personally like Gunsite better than any. I\'ve had all four of their handgun courses and the techniques and methods are consistent and based on real-world scenarios. One of the things I liked was the progression from shooting focus to tactics focus as you progress through the courses.

I believe Gunsite offers FOF Simunitions drills in all their courses. The only one I\'m not sure of is the introductory 250 Handgun course.

Originally posted by ExSoldier762
    How come nobody has mentioned THUNDER RANCH? I\'d love to go there. Clint Smith is now officially my hero for his recent gun mag article for us aging folks who\'s \"front sight\" has grown a bit fuzzy. Makes me feel like I\'m no longer alone.....lol.
    I\'ve enjoyed every course I\'ve had at Thunder Ranch and think Clint is one of the best in the business. However, TR has just moved to a new facility and a new format, so I think many are waiting to see how everything shakes out. I\'m sure they will have their usual top-notch stuff, but I\'m going to give them a little while to settle in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links