Point shooting and dominant eye

This is a discussion on Point shooting and dominant eye within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Trying to practice point shooting with both eyes open. Problem is when I concentrate on the target, my dominant left eye takes over (shoot righty) ...

Thread: Point shooting and dominant eye

Trying to practice point shooting with both eyes open. Problem is when I concentrate on the target, my dominant left eye takes over (shoot righty) and all my shots go to the left of my target. How can I correct this other than closing my left eye? BacSi
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BacSi View Post
    Trying to practice point shooting with both eyes open. Problem is when I concentrate on the target, my dominant left eye takes over (shoot righty) and all my shots go to the left of my target. How can I correct this other than closing my left eye? BacSi
    First of all, you need to work from your visual centerline. The best test that I have ever seen on establishing your visual centerline was written by Jim Gregg. His book is the very best book I have ever seen on "eye combinations." He has documented something like 49 different eye combinations. You can get his book here www.jimgregg.net (I have no affiliation with Mr. Gregg, but I believe that he deserves the credit)

The test is performed basically like this.

Grab a person to help you and do this test.

Have your helper stand about nine feet away. Have them cover one of their eyes so you can focus on the other. Take a pen and hold it out at arms lenth, upward in your right fist like a big old front sight. Focus on their uncovered eye, with both eyes open, and line the pen up with their eye.

Your helper will be able to observe where your visual centerline is because the pen will be line up on it. It could be directly line up with your left or right eye (this would be a "master eye") or it could be somewhere in between your eyes and your nose (dominant eye.) It could be directly off of your nose (equal dominance.) Have your helper tell you exactly what your visual centerline is.

Once you know your centerline, with both eyes open, this is where you need to work from. Your handgun needs to be held on this visual centerline to be able to use the basic geometry that applies with point shooting. The visual centerline extends from your line of sight down to your hip level.

Now, some of us actually see two very distinct images, due to the fact that our dominance is so close. If this occurs, you must decide which image you are going to work with. I am right handed with a master right eye. My visual centerline runs up and down exactly on my right pupil. When I bring my gun up to line of sight and focus on the targeted area. I have two very distinct images, a strong one from my right master eye, and a slightly weaker on from my left eye. I always work off of the stronger image of my right eye and work with the image that is on the left side.

HTH, Roger
    Last edited by Sweatnbullets; October 11th, 2006 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks for tthe tip! BacSi
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.-George Orwell

I guess I am not quite understanding this. To point shoot you need both eyes open, after all you are not lineing up sights. I always tell folks to assume a comfortable stance that affords you good stability. From your solar plexus extend your hands, (holding your firearm), straight out. Keep your wrists and arms firm but they don't have to be rigid. Beginners sometimes find lineing up sights first then dropping down to the solar plexus area helps. Using this technique I have never had a student fail to quickly catch on.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I guess I am not quite understanding this. To point shoot you need both eyes open, after all you are not lineing up sights. I always tell folks to assume a comfortable stance that affords you good stability. From your solar plexus extend your hands, (holding your firearm), straight out. Keep your wrists and arms firm but they don't have to be rigid. Beginners sometimes find lineing up sights first then dropping down to the solar plexus area helps. Using this technique I have never had a student fail to quickly catch on.
    havegun, yes we are talking about both eyes open. The method that you teach is a solid method that works extremely well. The kenesthetis alignment/index of that technique is right in line with the outstanding "basic geometry" of point shooting and will work very well. It uses the centerline of the body and will work quite well for most people.

I have found that the visual centerline breaks people away from the basic geometry and their need for a stance or a position. With this you can basically hit anything that you see from any angle or position. Positioning the gun in your visual centerline is a very versitile method and great for point shooting with dynamic movement in all directions.

Thanks for the tip on Jim Gregg's site. Good stuff. I just bookmarked it.

Sponsored Links