Shooting & Golf

This is a discussion on Shooting & Golf within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Man! I am at a loss to understand this. Was at the range today with my Glock 27 shooting stationary at 7 yds. It was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Shooting & Golf

Senior Member Array RightsEroding's Avatar

Shooting & Golf

Man! I am at a loss to understand this.

Was at the range today with my Glock 27 shooting stationary at 7 yds.
    It was a tad cool, about 38F if this means anything.

My first 2 clips (20 rnds) were 5-8" low center.
    I was shooting at a 8" paper plate.

After the first 20, no problems getting 2" groups rapid fire.

This reminds me of my golf game where one day you turn in a great score and the next is pure embarrassment.

This concerns me as a real threat scenario won't allow 20 warm up shots.

Any ideas gang?
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Do what you can; then do what you must

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Is it just this weapon that you experience this with or all of them?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Man! I am at a loss to understand this.

Was at the range today with my Glock 27 shooting stationary at 7 yds.
    It was a tad cool, about 38F if this means anything.

My first 2 clips (20 rnds) were 5-8" low center.
    I was shooting at a 8" paper plate.

After the first 20, no problems getting 2" groups rapid fire.

This reminds me of my golf game where one day you turn in a great score and the next is pure embarrassment.

This concerns me as a real threat scenario won't allow 20 warm up shots.

Any ideas gang?
    Probably bending your elbow and swinging too fast, go with a 3/4 swing, makes a world of difference.

Oh, the shooting thing... sorry, no clue.
    Raleigh... Where Barney comes to Party...

Glock 27 for every day carry (LCP for deep conceal when necessary)... Glock 23's for the home.

Call me Iggy. Only my mother calls me by my full given name.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    Is it just this weapon that you experience this with or all of them?
    Can't say for sure since I only shot the one gun today.
    I'm far from perfect, but today was a real deviation for me.
    "When those who are governed do too little, those who govern can, and will, do too much." Ronald Reagan

Practice practice practice!
    FlaRon likes this.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    Practice. Seriously, it is that simple. Dry-fire practice at least 10 rounds for ever live-fire round you shoot (100 is better). Trigger control and sight alignment are easy to practice off the range. It just takes time and commitment.

When you get to the range, don't think of your first shots as "practice". Think of them as the ones that save you life.

Preformance on demand is what you are striving toward. Tired, cold, hungry, or sick, it shouldn't matter. Practice until those first shots are as consistent as your fortieth.

Generally, those low shots can be attributed to yanking on the trigger. Slow down and concentrate on your trigger pull. Make it smooth and steady. Speed will come over time.
    aus71383 likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    I concur, jerking the trigger will cause the muzzle to pull low. After you've shot a few rounds you relax and your trigger pull is smoother.

A golf swing is similar, should be a nice flowing movement from start to finish.

As others have said, practice. As you practice you lock in muscle memory so every shot becomes instinct and reaction.

If you'd said you were "hooking" or "slicing," I'd say: take up golf. Among other things, it'll give you infinite opportunities to search for a cure ...

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    As others have said, practice. As you practice you lock in muscle memory so every shot becomes instinct and reaction.
    Yup, most likely. Dry-fire will probably help, as will more practice on range.

When I was starting with pistols, my learning curve was with a Browning BDM 9mm. I was learning about the gun, various ammo, sighting/aim, dealing with a slide "burr" issue. Invariably, whenever I had a lull in the shooting regimen, I'd notice a drop-off in early accuracy at the start of range sessions. But whenever I was hitting it hard, I never noticed such a drop-off in the first few magazines. I'm sure dry-fire would have helped. Didn't do that, in those early days. In my case, it was definitely a case of muscle memory. Might well be the same, in yours.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It's not just practice, but perfect practice that will improve your technique. Practicing mistakes only ensures that you will continue to make them. This attention to fundamental details is what separates the average from above average. So, yes, dry fire, draw and presentation, getting off the X, etc., are all beneficial to the extent that they are done correctly. Learn to self-assess, then concentrate on the weak fundamentals.

Dry fire practice at home, focusing on aiming, breathing, and trigger control. If you can hit your target with air bullets, you'll be able to hit them with real bullets. 5-8 inches low sounds like "flinching" or "anticipating the recoil" or "pushing" - there are lots of terms. You could have an experienced shooter watch you shoot and critique you - but 5-8 inches low at 7 yards isn't an aiming problem or a gun problem. It's a "you" problem.

What type of hearing protection do you wear at the range?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Dry fire practice at home, focusing on aiming, breathing, and trigger control. If you can hit your target with air bullets, you'll be able to hit them with real bullets. 5-8 inches low sounds like "flinching" or "anticipating the recoil" or "pushing" - there are lots of terms. You could have an experienced shooter watch you shoot and critique you - but 5-8 inches low at 7 yards isn't an aiming problem or a gun problem. It's a "you" problem.

What type of hearing protection do you wear at the range?

Austin
    Nothing special. Just a pair of full cover -30db ears.

Oh yes. I know it was a "me" problem.
    My concern was I've never seen this before; at least not that bad. And I agree, at 7 yds it's almost inexcusable.
    I have seen a little "pull" left in the past, but this was straight low.

I've been thinking about one of those indoor laser target gizmos for winter practice in home.
    Laserlyte Laser Trainer for Handgun Practice, Anytime, Anywhere

Hype or is it useful?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RightsEroding View Post
    Nothing special. Just a pair of full cover -30db ears.

Oh yes. I know it was a "me" problem.
    My concern was I've never seen this before; at least not that bad. And I agree, at 7 yds it's almost inexcusable.
    I have seen a little "pull" left in the past, but this was straight low.

I've been thinking about one of those indoor laser target gizmos for winter practice in home.
    Laserlyte Laser Trainer for Handgun Practice, Anytime, Anywhere

Hype or is it useful?
    I dry-fire using just the sights. They will tell you everything you need to know. The laser may make it more "fun" thereby encouraging you to practice more. Commitment is key to any long term training.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    be one with the ball....nanananananananananananana

also... me thinks you were anticipating the recoil and jerking a bit. After your warm-up, you eased up and followed thru. Practicing at a golf or gun range.....both are parishable skills.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

It's because you were using GLOCK "clips".
    aus71383 and jbum like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I find I always shoot better when using magazines,never could get clips to go in my guns
    FlaRon likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links