Illinois Concealed Carry Training?

This is a discussion on Illinois Concealed Carry Training? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now that Illinois has 6 months to pass a law I am wondering a few things. There is a guy with a facebook page entitled ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Illinois Concealed Carry Training?

Now that Illinois has 6 months to pass a law I am wondering a few things. There is a guy with a facebook page entitled (Illinois Conceal Carry) that has been teaching courses with the intent of having you ready to get your conceal and carry card the minute the law is passed. This seems bogus to me as there isn't even a law yet.

The intent is there to prepare people, but I'm thinking that the best bet would be to get conceal and carry cards in multiple states and hope that when Illinois passes the law they will honor these other state permits.

Any other input?

Without the law even being passed, I don't know how anyone can "know" what the requirements are going to be. However, someone could come up with a course to teach general firearms safety, etc. It could not contain any pertinent information on an as yet written Illinois law concerning self defense, etc. As far as obtaining permits/licenses from other states which "might" be recognized by Illinois, good luck! Nothing wrong with getting other states' licenses, but I'd be willing to bet a significant amount that when Illinois does finally enact a concealed carry law, it will be restrictive as heck and will NOT recognize any other states!!! It will be along the lines of some of the other states that do not recognize any other states licenses. Illinois is controlled by the anti-gun leftists in "Crook" county (Chicago) and that isn't going to change anytime soon! The state is NOT going to suddenly become "gun friendly"! Bet on it!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

As much as I hate to admit it I think you are right on all counts. There are just too many big wigs in Shy town that advocate the strictest gun control possible. The only thing we have going for us is Sen. Brady supporting our cause, and that won't go very far. This guy on FB needs to quit acting like he has inside info and capitalizing on it.
    JDE101, atctimmy and JoJoGunn like this.

I have a daughter who lives in Belleville, and she has wanted a gun for protection for quite some time. She is hoping the legislature gets their act together, but isn't holding her breath! Her husband retired from the AF at Scott, which was his last duty station. They'd like to get back to Ohio, but the economy and job situation are preventing it for now. I won't even go visit them in Illinois because of Illinois's laws--they come here to Ohio to visit. BTW, I grew up in Gary, Indiana back in the 50s, right "next door" to Chicago, and Chicago was crooked back then! Been crooked since before Al Capone! I don't trust ANY politician that comes from "Crook" county. The rest of the state is OK. Shame you can "secede" Cook county off by itself, then the rest of Illinois would be fine! Just my .02.
    stevenshizzle likes this.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

I'm sure that they will rewrite their concealed carry law modeled on New Jersey, Maryland, and New York City. I'm sorry, but the people in the state are going to have to change who gets into office to start with. One question I have is since Chicago is so safe, why do the Alderman in Chicago get a lifetime Concealed Carry License? Pistol packin' aldermen protected by the law
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I agree with above. It's impossible to know what restrictions will be put in place and what training will be required. Heck when the Chicago handgun ban was struck down a few years ago they wrote a law that you needed a training class just to have a handgun in your home!

Quote Originally Posted by Domr View Post
    I agree with above. It's impossible to know what restrictions will be put in place and what training will be required. Heck when the Chicago handgun ban was struck down a few years ago they wrote a law that you needed a training class just to have a handgun in your home!
    It was crazier than that. Not only did they require training, the law required actual range time as part of that training. Then, in the same law, they promptly outlawed all ranges in the City.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array preachertim's Avatar
    I think it will be base on the fact of it being a shall issue or may issue state. They will allow but very Limited it will probably end up. IMHO
    Why Would A Preacher ever need a Gun? Its Not for the Sheep , its for the Wolves!

Springfield Armory Service XD 40
    Taurus PT 1911 45 acp Taurus PT 101, PT 92
    Ruger 22/45 Ruger P95 9mm, Ruger SR9
    Kahr CW 40, Heritage 22, Rossi 38 special

Illinois House Bill 0154

Illinois General Assembly - Bill Status for HB0154

Synopsis As Introduced
    Creates the Family and Personal Protection Act. Provides that the Department of State Police shall issue a license to carry a loaded or unloaded handgun to an applicant that meets specified qualifications, has provided the application and specified documentation, and has submitted the requisite fees. Provides that a license to carry a handgun entitles a licensee to carry a loaded handgun, either concealed or openly, on or about his or her person or in a vehicle, except in certain prohibited locations. Provides that the license shall be issued by the Department of State Police within 45 days of receipt from a sheriff and shall be valid throughout the State for a period of 5 years from the date of issuance. Provides for renewal of licenses. Establishes qualifications for licensees, certified firearms instructors, and instructor trainers. Provides for home rule preemption. Provides that the provisions of the Act are severable. Amends the Freedom of Information Act. Prohibits from inspection and copying information about applications for licenses to carry a handgun and about license holders contained in the database created by the Family and Personal Protection Act, except as authorized by that Act. Amends the State Finance Act and the Criminal Code of 2012 to make conforming changes. Effective immediately.

More information can be found at the web site in the link above at The Illinois General Assembly web site.

Thoughts from an IL state certified instructor

I don't know anything about anyone teaching a class specifically entitled "IL concealed carry training", but I can tell you what I have been doing; which is giving a class on "Self Defense and The Law", (SDL) which is a 6 hour seminar all about the judicious use of deadly force in Illinois, and IL criminal law. This is an expanded version of the class I teach for the Chicago Firearms Permit. Since I am an IL state certified instructor, I tell people that as soon as the IL permit system is good to go, I will be in a position to teach it. Therefore, if they take my SDL class prior to, I will credit them for the classroom portion of the permit requirement. Then all they have to do is come back and for a nominal fee finish up whatever the rest of the requirements will be- live fire, basic safety orientation, etc. The thinking is that any permit training requirement will no doubt include a mandatory portion on appropriate use of deadly force, IL law, and legal issues surrounding the gun. So by taking the SDL course now, they will get a jump on the permit process and most likely not have to take a full 4-6 hour classroom portion over again. Plus, they get some great information on how to keep their freedom and finances intact in case they have to use a weapon for self defense on their own property. Nobody wants to be the next George Zimmerman. I've been teaching it a Cabela's in Hoffman Estates over the past couple months. If anyone wants more info you can visit the website at URI Firearms Training.

Even though IL has been ordered to craft a bill or law providing for Concealed Carry, don't hold your breath too long. It will be quite restrictive if not impossible to obtain, even with massive amounts of training or knowledge of firearms. It's just the way Chicago rules the state.

That being said, however there is nothing wrong with or wanting to have a course on firearms saftey and use. It can't hurt despite the way things are in restrictive states or other places.

We are hoping that IL does indeed issue permits, my wife is from Springfield, IL.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

How can anyone offer a course? There is not even a bill on the table yet. You have no idea what the requirements will be.
    Ill could pass a law that says only state police can run the course if they want.
    Save your cash wait. It is looking like it may not even happen.

Illinois CC

There in fact 2 bills submitted that contain possible training requirments.
    Attached Files

VIP Member
    Even with the bills, it's still a useless gesture to seek training before everything is written into law. Much like every other state, and especially those that aren't actually 'gun friendly' the instructors will be credentialed in some way by the state. There is no chance that any of them would be able to make a pitch for 'grandfathering' in people they previously trained and any legitimate training group wouldn't seek to mislead anyone otherwise.

Once it passes and is actually made into law, then seek out a trainer that is vetted by the state as a legitimate trainer. If you just want some general "training" for combat pistol or other SD applications, then find a good trainer and just realize that it won't be a substitute for the actual official concealed class that you'll have to take.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Your training will have to be signed off on by a state approved instructor, read the attached and it spells out pretty much what they are trying for, also the courts said a resonable CC law.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links