How do we stop all this mass shooting - Page 2

How do we stop all this mass shooting

This is a discussion on How do we stop all this mass shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns Want to stop mass shootings? Do away with gun free zones . Gun Free Zones are dangerous places. Only the law ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: How do we stop all this mass shooting

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Want to stop mass shootings?

Do away with gun free zones.

Gun Free Zones are dangerous places. Only the law abiding disarms themselves while thugs go armed and ignore such illogical and stupid laws.

This Liberalism/touchy/feely crap will be and is the undoing of this great country. When we "man up" and start eliminating shooters on the spot, then and only then will "mass" shootings cease to be.

Lets stop giving the bad guys the advantage.
    I may be wrong, and will be happy to stand corrected, and although I agree completely about eliminating gun free zones as a partial solution, I don't believe that the theatre in Colorado, or the mall in Oregon were gun free zones. Neither, of course, was the area where the Congresswoman and others were shot.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

I don't know the answer but something that may help is if we, as responsible gun owners, keep our guns locked up at home and not tell anyone (family members also) the lock combination or where the key is. Please understand that I am not at all shifting blame for the shootings. But if an individual is force to ask to use one or must purchase a firearm, someone might see warning signs with the individual. When my son was a senior in high school he came home after being out and wanted one of my guns because a small group of other kids in high school had assaulted him. I was not home but my wife was. My guns were locked up and my son (and wife) did not know how to open the safe. When he had to ask my wife how to open the safe, she was able to settle him down and called me to talk to him. My son is not troubled and has never acted that way again. His emotions got the best of him that night. My son might be in prison or dead if my guns were accessible to him that night.
    miller_man and DRM like this.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

These evil cowards want to "make a statement" and "go out with a bang!". That's why they head for wherever they can inflct the most casualities with the least danger to themselves. The bigger the body count, the bigger the statement, so they head for the biggest herd of "sheep" they can find with no "sheepdog". Their death finishes the statement and "immortalizes" them. I saw a report that 75% either kill themselves or are shot. The others pee their pants when they realize they are on the recieving end. Guns are the tool, the problem is the bad guy. We as a society have taken away so much: our sense of personal responsibility, morals, and civic duty; and glamorize flash over substance and expect immediate gratification. Until we change THAT culture, we will remain on the road to destruction.
    Northnick likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I may be wrong, and will be happy to stand corrected, and although I agree completely about eliminating gun free zones as a partial solution, I don't believe that the theatre in Colorado, or the mall in Oregon were gun free zones. Neither, of course, was the area where the Congresswoman and others were shot.
    I was looking up mass shooting reports, and saw that the Colorado theatre was the only one of either 5 or 7 that was posted online as being gun-free and I believe that the Oregon mall was also listed as being gun-free. These creeps want to rack up a big bodycount, so they head for what they consider to be a "safe haven".
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 16th, 2012 at 11:36 AM.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I don't know about the theater, but I'm pretty sure the mall in Oregon was posted based on what I have read.

When did a sign ever stop a mentally ill person from committing a crime ?
    mprp and mr.stuart like this.

This tragedy shows that there is no way police can respond fast enough to prevent this from happening and the best outcome is that they can limit the casualties.
    No buzzer system, no bullet proof glass, no anything can prevent a determined person(s) from carrying out this type of act. Not even a single armed guard, especially when these schools are so large. Besides, children go out for recess and gym so whatever you do to lock down a building doesn't help if children are outside.
    The best way to prevent or quickly stop this type of act is to have multiple, armed, trained people in each school. A principle, asst principle, any teachers or custodians who are former military, etc.
    Sad that this day has come.
    Last edited by Enzo411; December 16th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.
    Spirit51 likes this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowJS View Post
    These evil cowards want to "make a statement" and "go out with a bang!". That's why they head for wherever they can inflct the most casualities with the least danger to themselves. The bigger the body count, the bigger the statement, so they head for the biggest herd of "sheep" they can find with no "sheepdog". Their death finishes the statement and "immortalizes" them. I saw a report that 75% either kill themselves or are shot. The others pee their pants when they realize they are on the recieving end. Guns are the tool, the problem is the bad guy. We as a society have taken away so much: our sense of personal responsibility, morals, and civic duty; and glamorize flash over substance and expect immediate gratification. Until we change THAT culture, we will remain on the road to destruction.
    Considering that most of these nutjobs end up offing themselves anyway when confronted, I've got a plan that would let these dirtbags make their statement and go out with a bang, all while protecting the lives of innocents, and it only contains 4 simple steps.

HOW TO MAKE A STATEMENT AND GO OUT WITH A BANG

1. Leave a real touchy-feely note describing miserable existence, all the times you got beat up, how mommy and daddy didn't love you enough, etc., etc.. Lay it on real thick and make it count. This is your statement after all.
    2. Drive out to the middle of nowhere.
    3. Place muzzle of firearm in mouth.
    4. Pull trigger.
    NOTE: If these 4 steps are too difficult for you, do what everyone else does. Grow up, get over it, and get on with your life instead of being an attention seeking reject.
    Eyescream likes this.

RT
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    When did a sign ever stop a mentally ill person from committing a crime ?
    To my knowledge, never. That was kind of the point.

This is so frustrating. Once again guns will take center stage in this debate and I believe that's shame. Whether arguing for greater gun control or to allow more people to carry in more areas, both sides are completely missing the issue. This was an evil act carried out by a human being and the responsibility lies with him and any acquaintance who failed to act to prevent this tragedy. Preventing it was up to the family, friends, and acquaintances who noticed signs of trouble and failed to act. With the exception of the Ft. Hood shooting, each shooting has been conducted by a troubled young male.
    Here are some factors I believe are necassary to achieve the cultural shift necassary to prevent more tragedies:

Legal means to prosecute any acquaintances who failed to report or prevent the acts of these murderers
    Recognize that there are no "idle threats". Penalize who make them, even as far as revoking their 2nd Ammendment rights.
    Situational awareness. Engaged, responsible citizens are the greatest asset to preventing tragedy.
    oldnfat likes this.

Re: How do we stop all this mass shooting

It's semantics, I know, but the question ought to be 'how do we stop mass killing', rather than shooting.

The way that we speak about these tragedies will influence the way we think about them, and consequently the way we think we ought to deal with them.

Unfortunately, we can never prevent all tragedy. Even if we surrendered all of our freedoms on the false altar of security, it still would be impossible.

Laws cannot prevent crime. All they can do is punish the criminal, and try to pick up the pieces afterward.

Throughout the existence of mankind there has been, and always will be, good and evil. The only real thing that we can do is control ourselves, and be an example to others in good things.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member
    Terrorism cannot be totally prevented. Mass shootings are indeed a form a terrorism. A determined individual or small group can carry out their agenda of mayhem with little fear of being stopped. However we can mitigate the carnage by allowing responsible citizens to be armed everywhere and then react to the situation in it's early stages. Everyone may not be capable of handling this responsibility, that is why we have background checks and CC classes and training. Terrorists do not fear punishment. It is common for them to take their own lives when they are satisfied enough carnage has been done. Federal, state, and local LEOS do a wonderful job of sniffing out a number of these plans, but some still elude discovery. We must have the tools to react in our defense from these demented persons. From what I have seen in the media, local and state LEOS did a great job in the response to this latest tragedy. I salute you all. It appears many lives were also saved by the actions of the school faculty. God bless you all.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowJS View Post
    I was looking up mass shooting reports, and saw that the Colorado theatre was the only one of either 5 or 7 that was posted online as being gun-free and I believe that the Oregon mall was also listed as being gun-free. These @#%*#^ want to rack up a big bodycount, so they head for what they consider to be a "safe haven".
    OK, I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification.

My point was not that posting "no guns" will deter a BG, only that if they were not gun free zones then perhaps there might have been people present lawfully armed, which might, and I emphasize might, have reduced the number of those shot and killed.
    bigmacque likes this.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    1. Stop focusing on gun control, and focus on the Mentally Ill!
    2. Realize gun free zones dont work!
    3. Teach the ill informed anti-gun advocates that todays society is changing and threats are everywhere.
    Spirit51 and GhostRed7 like this.

VIP Member
    IMO, there is no way to "stop" these sorts of events. Even the idea that we should do away with gun free zones isn't going to do a thing to stop events such as these. What eliminating the gun free zones might do is limit the innocent lives lost. I say it might because even that would require that an armed individual would act in a manner that would disable or discourage the bad guy.

A criminal intent on profiteering from crime might be discouraged by a location that is armed, or might possibly be armed, because they have a purpose that generally doesn't extend beyond their personal gain. The potential for a shootout, or even potential armed resistance, might discourage that sort of individual because they generally don't want an armed conflict; they may not have respect for the lives of those around them, but they do value their own life. An individual whose mindset is to commit mass murder, or as most likely in this case, a mentally unstable individual driven by rage, cares not about any resistance or potential self harm because they are fundamentally driven by something that causes them to place no more value on their life than the lives of their victims. They may not choose to target a police station because of the overwhelming force that they would encounter, but I don't believe what they might encounter would ever have the same impact on an individual in that mindset.

I don't believe that the school was targeted randomly, nor do I believe that it was targeted because it was a gun free zone. I believe the young man had a 'reason' behind his choice of targets. What that reason is will probably become more clear as the investigation produces a more thorough picture of the shooters history.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links