How do we stop all this mass shooting

This is a discussion on How do we stop all this mass shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do we stop this sort of thing from ever happening again? I think this sums it up quite well: “The correct answer to the ...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: How do we stop all this mass shooting

Sponsor

Exclamation

How do we stop this sort of thing from ever happening again?
    I think this sums it up quite well:

“The correct answer to the violent criminal is the armed citizen.” – Col. Jeff Cooper, Father of Modern Combat Pistolcraft
    HotGuns, zacii, Spirit51 and 1 others like this.
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

2. Remove Ads

Sponsor

Exclamation

So we start focusing on the mentally ill??
    We start focusing on our sights…pointed at the head of the mentally ill guy with the guns.
    Last edited by DRM; December 18th, 2012 at 08:24 AM.
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

www.TacticalShooting.com

Sponsor

Exclamation

Has anyone seen this?? Talk about a deterrent...

www.TacticalShooting.com

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Maybe bm303 is all for smaller gov't and figures the quickest way to a smaller gov't is to make it the only gun-free zone left. Just a thought.
    Ksholder, I was thinking the same thing!

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Enzo411 View Post
    This tragedy shows that there is no way police can respond fast enough to prevent this from happening and the best outcome is that they can limit the casualties.
    No buzzer system, no bullet proof glass, no anything can prevent a determined person(s) from carrying out this type of act. Not even a single armed guard, especially when these schools are so large. Besides, children go out for recess and gym so whatever you do to lock down a building doesn't help if children are outside.
    The best way to prevent or quickly stop this type of act is to have multiple, armed, trained people in each school. A principle, asst principle, any teachers or custodians who are former military, etc.
    Sad that this day has come.
    I agree with you. You do realize that then the schools are no longer gun free zones which may deter the psycho shooter. Someone else suggested deadbolt locks on the classroom doors that lock from the inside so that the teachers can keep the BG out of the classroom.

“Independence is my happiness, and I view things as they are, without regard to place or person; my country is the world, and my religion is to do good.” Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Bark'n, I heard he was buzzed through locked doors to enter with no problems. Most likely because he was know and his mom worked there.
    Problem with the MSM is that many times their information is not correct. I have heard now that the mother worked as a volunteer at the school and that the shooter broke out a window to gain access to the building.

We won't know the entire truth about the incident until much later.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Problem with the MSM is that many times their information is not correct. I have heard now that the mother worked as a volunteer at the school and that the shooter broke out a window to gain access to the building.

We won't know the entire truth about the incident until much later.
    Will we the "Don't need to Know Class" ever know the entire truth? That would not meet the Powers to BE agenda and the wasting of a crises.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

We can all agree these acts are acts of cowards. All of these "gun-free" zones is tell the BG, "hey, the citizens of this residence don't have guns, come on in!". That is wrong. Gun-Free zones NEED to be gone. There should be training offered FROM the U.S. gov't TO it's citizens. There are driving schools in towns all across America, shouldn't there be just as many gun handeling schools? JMO

D
    EDC: M&P 9*2
    PHIL.4:13

NRA

Sponsor

Thumbs up And now for the GOOD NEWS:

MAN ATTEMPTS TO OPEN FIRE ON CROWD AT MOVIE THEATER, ARMED OFF-DUTY SHERIFF’S DEPUTY DROPS HIM WITH ONE BULLET

Posted on December 17, 2012 at 10:28pm by Jason Howerton

With one shot, an off-duty sheriff’s deputy took down a gunman who attempted to opened fire at a crowded movie theater lobby during a late night showing of “The Hobbit” in San Antonio, WOAI reports.

Police say a gunman, identified as Jesus Manuel Garcia, chased patrons from the nearby China Garden Restaurant into the lobby of the Santikos Mayan 14 movie theater at around 9 p.m. on Sunday. Garcia, an employee of the restaurant, reportedly walked in the establishment looking for a woman.

When the woman, also reportedly a restaurant employee, wasn’t there, Garcia pulled out a gun and attempted to open fire in the restaurant but his weapon jammed.

“It started at the restaurant and then went into the parking lot and then into the movie theater,” Deputy Lou Antu told 1200 WOAI news.

The commotion sent horrified restaurant patrons into the movie theater lobby, but the gunman followed. He again attempted to open fire, and this time his gun didn’t jam. Garcia reportedly shot one man in the chest before Antu says an off-duty sheriff’s deputy working security the theater shot him once, dropping him to the floor.

Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano reportedly chased the gunman toward the back of the theater. The 13-year department veteran cornered him after he ran into a men’s restroom and shot him before taking his gun.

“The officer involved, she took the appropriate action to try to keep everyone safe in the movie theater,” Antu added.

Due to the off-duty deputy’s bravery, the gunman was not able to make it into the theater where he could have potentially taken many lives.

The gunman and the man he shot remain hospitalized, according to WOAI.

Police say a recent breakup set off the man’s shooting spree on Sunday, MySanAntonio.com reports.

Jesus Manuel Garcia, 19, an employee at a China Garden restaurant next to the Santikos Mayan Palace 14 theater, apparently became upset Sunday night after his girlfriend broke up with him.
    He lashed out by sending her a message saying he planned to go to the restaurant and “shoot somebody,” said Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Raymond Pollard.

Pollard said the woman called to warn restaurant employees, but by the time she saw his message, Garcia was already outside the China Garden firing a Glock 23 at the front door about 9:25 p.m.

If Garcia survives his attempt at mass murder, officials say he will likely face a charge of attempted capital murder as he allegedly shot at the San Antonia police car on Southwest Military Drive as he ran from the restaurant and into the theater.
    ccw9mm likes this.

www.TacticalShooting.com

In my opinion if you want to stop things like this, you need to address the root cause of these maladjusted psychos. Parenting. When your child is raised by Xbox live, TV and Daycare providers for the majority of their formative years....what do you think is going to happen? Garbage in, garbage out. If we as a society can address that lack of accountability by parents, I think we solve the majority of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    MAN ATTEMPTS TO OPEN FIRE ON CROWD AT MOVIE THEATER, ARMED OFF-DUTY SHERIFF’S DEPUTY DROPS HIM WITH ONE BULLET

With one shot, an off-duty sheriff’s deputy took down a gunman who attempted to opened fire at a crowded movie theater lobby during a late night showing ...

Bexar County sheriff’s Sgt. Lisa Castellano reportedly chased the gunman toward the back of the theater. The 13-year department veteran cornered him after he ran into a men’s restroom and shot him before taking his gun.
    Perfect example of what can happen when intelligent, determined citizens refuse to be victims. Kudos to Ms. Castellano.
    DRM likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by sid1 View Post
    1. Stop focusing on gun control, and focus on the Mentally Ill!
    2. Realize gun free zones dont work!
    3. Teach the ill informed anti-gun advocates that todays society is changing and threats are everywhere.
    This ^
    "Sir, could you please not bleed so much? I have to clean the store after they haul you off and I'd like the rest of my shift, to be, like, you know, better."

I agree with those above who have expressed that MORE armed citizens on scene is the solution, not fewer.

As someone above said, though, we are living in denial if we don't acknowledge that there is an issue here with the gun owner from whom this individual took these weapons. The firearms in question were legally owned by this nutjob's mother. She apparently did not take steps to keep these firearms out of the hands of her mentally ill son. Some reports have even said that she took him to the range and taught him how to shoot.

While she paid with her life for this misjudgment, if these reports are true she also contributed to many others losing theirs. Whether we will end up losing some (or all) of our rights to defend ourselves from these lunatics remains to be seen, but in the mean time we CAN do something else to prevent this particular kind of evil from happening.

Many gun owners are somehow involved in the shooting community, even if only online forums like this. We CAN strongly encourage ALL gun owners to either have their firearms SECURED whenever they are not ON THEIR PERSON. We can encourage other gun owners to recognize the dangers of making their tools available to anyone that is not CLEARLY in good mental health. We can secure our own firearms such that they are not available to wackjobs and theives (at least not easily). These are responsible things we can do that MIGHT help prevent a recurrence. If the news reports are true (which you can never really tell nowadays), we're fooling ourselves if we think that an irresponsible legal gun owner wasn't partially at fault for the availability of the tools to this individual. Yes, he might have still found a way to commit mass murder. Maybe not, though.

I'm as much a second amendment advocate as most of you are. As I said, I think the solution is ARMED protection for our kids in school.

If we want to have intelligent debate about the issues here, though, let's be honest about what ALL the issues are and do what we can to deal with them from our own side of the fence.

I like how sites like this one think that the cause and cure are more guns. I do agree that in the event that a BG starts shooting up the place there are armed GGs. I think we could solve the problem before it happens, then GG can pick up the slack. If you look at our justice system it is broken. A few years back I was watching the news and this guy that was charged in 1987 for murder finally got sentenced. Is it me or is that kind of ridiculous it took around 23 years to sentence him? Even when they are sentenced they have an easy life, pool, ping pong, weights, cable tv, free food and shelter, the very things us GG have to pay for. Living in Utah has its pros and cons, one of the biggest pros for me are the Mormons do a good job at instilling values and morals. As most of you know discipline and punishment have changed over the years, walking through the local shopping center I some time hear a child yelling at his mom " you stupid fat wh*re" my dad would have buried my for that. If my mom asked me to do something and I said "hold on" I better be doing homework or anther choir, my dad did not put up with that. The way I was raised and disciplined when doing wrong has taught me right and wrong and the punishments.

I am by no means saying guns are bad, I own many of them. What I am saying giving guns to everyone won’t fix the issue. It will save lives when it does happen, but how many of you want to shoot and kill someone, I don’t. I think we can and would be better off stopping the problem before it happens, then when it does happen the GG are there to save lives.
    DPMS AR-15
    Mossberg 835 Ulti-MAG
    M&P .40sw
    M&P Shield .40sw

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    The solution to me is mutual respect between both sides "evil/good" that can happen only when both sides are armed. Because you can never take the gun out of the BGs hands totally. Look at other Countries where they have ban gun completely there is still gun crime. Things happen everyday of our lives in all walks of our life, we have to be prepared for what ever may come.

Gun Free Zones work about the same way Zombie Free Zone would work at the time of the Walking Dead.

Warrior Talk Forums

Zomie Free Zone.jpg
    mulle46 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Links