How do we stop all this mass shooting

This is a discussion on How do we stop all this mass shooting within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Maybe we could make killing people more illegal, that should do it. I have spent the last couple days writing politicians, and explaining the reality ...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: How do we stop all this mass shooting

Maybe we could make killing people more illegal, that should do it.

I have spent the last couple days writing politicians, and explaining the reality of the situation to the kid's Principal, Vice Principal, and various school administrators. It's a lot of work.

And for everybody who said that Obama wasn't really going to ban anything and that the NRA was using scare tactics to raise money, you can appologize now.
    Spirit51 and 3wggl like this.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Here is something I have thought about over the past few years.

What are the babies being born addicted to drugs or damaged by drugs or booze going to be when they grow older?

I am not saying they are doomed, but the brain rests in a "bath" of delicate chemical balance. I can see where a child born with this balance being "off" can have mental problems. This is a study that crys to be made and so far I have seen nothing addressing it.
    They're in trouble.

A horrendous number of people who're in the revolving doors of 'minor crimes' and prison are people with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. FAS, and the Y chromosome, are huge predictors of problems with the law.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by CanuckQue View Post
    They're in trouble.

A horrendous number of people who're in the revolving doors of 'minor crimes' and prison are people with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. FAS, and the Y chromosome, are huge predictors of problems with the law.
    This is what I have been afraid of. Have you ever looked into the eyes of one of these poor kids? I have and there seems to be something "lacking". IMO Not their fault...they are victims, but one has to wonder how many of the general public will become THEIR victims in the future.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    This is what I have been afraid of. Have you ever looked into the eyes of one of these poor kids? I have and there seems to be something "lacking". IMO Not their fault...they are victims, but one has to wonder how many of the general public will become THEIR victims in the future.
    Yeah, this is what makes "prevention" such an imposing, and virtually impossible, task. In order to preserve our humanity, we can't write people off even when we have huge predictors to their future behaviors; conversely, they almost inevitably fall into the patters that are predicted and become predatory in some way and do harm, or cause loss, to others.

It's, in many ways, the proverbial rock and a hard place. Mental illness and defect is a sad situation and while we, as a species, enjoy the ability to reason most things out, this is one that continues to elude our ability to "fix".

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    this is one that continues to elude our ability to "fix".
    Fix, yet. We're under-investing in our charity efforts to the proper R&D charities. But, it's one of those issues that should be solvable (or mitigatable) with sufficient efforts. I guess it's whether we choose to buy pizzas & beer, or donate to useful causes.

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

VIP Member
    Fix, yet. We're under-investing in our charity efforts to the proper R&D charities. But, it's one of those issues that should be solvable (or mitigatable) with sufficient efforts. I guess it's whether we choose to buy pizzas & beer, or donate to useful causes.
    I can only agree partially. Mental health, and our understanding of it, is a very complex situation. Money alone can't buy answers. We've spent billions on cancer cures and we've never made that leap from marginally successful cures that don't always work at all to "problem solved"... Add to that the fact that mental health has the additional burden of individual rights that quite often prohibits treatment or even attention.

I don't disagree that it needs better funding, but so does darn near everything that burdens us as a species. Cancer still kills more of us than mentally unstable folks with guns. Plus, the fact that it's very vogue to demonize the drug companies and their insanely high profit margins on drugs that work, all the while forgetting that those same companies spend huge sums of monies on failure after failure while trying to find the needle in the haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by MP45Man View Post
    I get this on every level. But this massacre has really got me depressed. I can't even imagine what the parents of those children are going through. Plenty of opinions on this thread, but how many have empirical evidence that they would actually work. I don't know what the answer is, but I'm willing to agree to about anything that would prevent this from happening again in my life time.
    I feel the same, its tragic. However, Im not willing to agree to feel good legislation that will no effect on what a deranged person does or doesn't do. I've said it before, laws based on emotion are almost exclusively bad laws that dont fix the problem.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by TX expat View Post
    I can only agree partially. Mental health, and our understanding of it, is a very complex situation. Money alone can't buy answers. We've spent billions on cancer cures and we've never made that leap from marginally successful cures that don't always work at all to "problem solved"... Add to that the fact that mental health has the additional burden of individual rights that quite often prohibits treatment or even attention.

I don't disagree that it needs better funding, but so does darn near everything that burdens us as a species. Cancer still kills more of us than mentally unstable folks with guns. Plus, the fact that it's very vogue to demonize the drug companies and their insanely high profit margins on drugs that work, all the while forgetting that those same companies spend huge sums of monies on failure after failure while trying to find the needle in the haystack.
    Well, imo, it's an investment problem. Yeah, it might need more investment than it's had, but the 'light at the end of the tunnel' is only with progress.
    I don't mind the Big Pharma's style, but *I* cannot effectively give them charity dollars - the higher impact would be through the research charities, because that's who funds the foundational research. It's going to be Big Pharma that produces the pill, but it's going to be other granting agencies that made all the initial discoveries.

I'm not saying to cut back on the cancer charity efforts - I'd recommend people choose to donate money that wasn't already ear-marked for charity good works. :)

VIP Member
    Well, imo, it's an investment problem. Yeah, it might need more investment than it's had, but the 'light at the end of the tunnel' is only with progress.
    I don't mind the Big Pharma's style, but *I* cannot effectively give them charity dollars - the higher impact would be through the research charities, because that's who funds the foundational research. It's going to be Big Pharma that produces the pill, but it's going to be other granting agencies that made all the initial discoveries.

I'm not saying to cut back on the cancer charity efforts - I'd recommend people choose to donate money that wasn't already ear-marked for charity good works. :)
    Actually that's not accurate. Nonprofit research agencies may receive credit for the discovery but the pharmaceutical manufacturers are the ones who got the trial drug to them. Pharmaceutical companies spend billions just to get a product that they can just get into the research path, so it's not as simple as them producing the pill. The research groups are not solely responsible for creating or discovering, although they are the ones that are doing the work.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DRM View Post
    Blaming the guns for mass murder is like blaming the airplanes for 9/11...

"The correct answer to the violent criminal is the armed citizen." - Col. Jeff Cooper

I can't resist this: You know what this means? No more high capacity planes for civilians!
    zacii likes this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Re: How do we stop all this mass shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle View Post
    I can't resist this: You know what this means? No more high capacity planes for civilians!
    Well, they've already banned high capacity Big Gulps in NYC, so that's the next logical step.

Sent from my Galaxy S2
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

PM
    IMHO here what we need to do
    1) Harden the target(s)
    -- Have some one on all door when unlocked (CCer if possible)
    -- Lock all doors after school starts
    -- make the glass in the door "unbreakable"
    -- add the buzz in on one door that has either view from office direct or by video perferable with a man trap kind of lay out
    -- Allow armed personel

2) Repeal GFZ --- which would allow a couple of the above

There are other things we are doing that many be causeing the issue but to state these will only serve to get me flamed.

PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Bark'n, I heard he was buzzed through locked doors to enter with no problems. Most likely because he was know and his mom worked there.

The problem we face to me is the no-gun zones but to each his own.
    Bill
    IIRC he broke the glass out of the door; either the busser door or another door. That is why part of my hardening plan is breakproof glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Superhouse 15 View Post
    Maybe we could make killing people more illegal, that should do it.

I have spent the last couple days writing politicians, and explaining the reality of the situation to the kid's Principal, Vice Principal, and various school administrators. It's a lot of work.

And for everybody who said that Obama wasn't really going to ban anything and that the NRA was using scare tactics to raise money, you can appologize now.
    It's NOT Obama that's calling for a ban...it's the general public demanding something be done...BOTH Democrat and Republican.(albeit anger misdirected) This was NOT his idea or his agenda being implemented. Just not true.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    It's NOT Obama that's calling for a ban...it's the general public demanding something be done...BOTH Democrat and Republican.(albeit anger misdirected) This was NOT his idea or his agenda being implemented. Just not true.
    Ummm. That's one way to look at it, I guess.

Saying it's not his agenda, given his history, is a hair bit disingenuous IMO.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Links