Basic training tips

This is a discussion on Basic training tips within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to the CCW world and take the responsability very seriously. I'm proud to say that tonight I topped the 1000 round mark through ...

Thread: Basic training tips

Basic training tips

I'm new to the CCW world and take the responsability very seriously. I'm proud to say that tonight I topped the 1000 round mark through my Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm.

The range I use is a very nice, new, indoor range. They are very conservative in what they allow on the range. No drawing from a holster, quick mag changes, firing from other than a standard standing position, etc. This is obviously quite unlike the real world.

I'm looking for some tips on how I can best train under these circumstances.

I've been using paper plates with sticky notes. I'll alternate shooting slowly and controlled at 7 and 25 yards for accuracy and then rapidly just making sure all rounds land on the plate. I've gotten good at double taps and have no trouble keeping all rounds on the target.

Tonight I hung two plates next to eachother to practice rapidly aquiring another target. Shot a double tap into one then a double tap into the other.

What else can I do to best learn the skills necessary for an actual self-defense encounter?

I know there are several outdoor gun clubs in the area that offer more tactical scenarios but I haven't yet purchased memberships. Plus, it's going to start getting cold here as winter arrives!!

Thanks for your tips!

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/index.htm

Buy yourself an airsoft gun here. This way you can "safely" train in many of the things that your range does not allow.

Right now you are looking for the fundamentals applied with a balance of "speed and accuracy." Look for a "hand span" size group at each distance. Concentrate on the two yard to the seven yard distances because that is where most self defense shootings occur. Work in some ten to twenty five yard work also.

For real world skills you need to work until you are safe enough to explore the world of point shooting (one handed and two) and shooting on the move. This is all done at logical distances from the two to the seven yard mark. Airsoft is a great way to "ease" into this type of training."

Good luck and have fun!

http://www.airsoftatlanta.com/gas.htm

To be more specific check out the gas guns here. The KWA/KSC G19 has an outstanding FOF reputation. What is really nice about them is that you can get your exact carry gun which is very close in weight. You can shoot them inside your house, garage, or backyard, so you can train a anytime. There is never an excuse to not train as long as you have a quality airsoft gun.

What do they consider a standard firing position? If possible, I would recommend training one handed, with both hands. You need to know if you can control your pistol with either hand. As you said, the real world rarerly allows you to do it properly.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    What do they consider a standard firing position? If possible, I would recommend training one handed, with both hands. You need to know if you can control your pistol with either hand. As you said, the real world rarerly allows you to do it properly.
    Usually this means a standing position. No kneeling or prone shooting.

One handed or two handed shooting isn't a problem in most ranges, as long as you have control over the gun.

Dry fire!

If you don't already do some regular dry fire practice, start. If you do, add drawing from the holster to your dry fire training. I'd lean towards this for practicing draws more than airsoft, because this way the draw and trigger squeeze will feel exactly the same as it will in real life (I don't know how good airsoft guns replicate things like weight and trigger feel, but IMHO using your own weapon is better).

Quote Originally Posted by eagle View Post
    I'm new to the CCW world and take the responsability very seriously. I'm proud to say that tonight I topped the 1000 round mark through my Taurus Millenium Pro 9mm.

The range I use is a very nice, new, indoor range. They are very conservative in what they allow on the range. No drawing from a holster, quick mag changes, firing from other than a standard standing position, etc. This is obviously quite unlike the real world.

I'm looking for some tips on how I can best train under these circumstances.

I've been using paper plates with sticky notes. I'll alternate shooting slowly and controlled at 7 and 25 yards for accuracy and then rapidly just making sure all rounds land on the plate. I've gotten good at double taps and have no trouble keeping all rounds on the target.

Tonight I hung two plates next to eachother to practice rapidly aquiring another target. Shot a double tap into one then a double tap into the other.

What else can I do to best learn the skills necessary for an actual self-defense encounter?

I know there are several outdoor gun clubs in the area that offer more tactical scenarios but I haven't yet purchased memberships. Plus, it's going to start getting cold here as winter arrives!!

Thanks for your tips!
    Hello Eagle,

First off congratulations on getting your permit to carry. While I do not recall who it was that suggested that you add drawing to your "Dry Firing" regiment, I would second that suggestion. However, I would first also suggest that you partake of some formal training if you are able, to learn the proper techniques.

The act of drawing within a "Cold Condition" (Empty weapon), is one which I strongly recommend to all of my students to master the principles of the technique. In fact, it is one of the practice techniques I wrote about in my book (Welcome to the Real World, A dangerous place to be Caught Unprepared!) www.wttrw.com and provided the story of one of my more colorful students who much later admitted that at first he thought I was nuts only to realize that I was on to something.

At this time I am offering a special price reduction to forum members. If you would like to take advantage of this offer, please check out the book discussion section of this board.

While it is NOT an optimum practice technique because you will not experience the recoil of the weapon, it WILL provide you with an excellent point to begin to develop "Muscle Memory".

Best of luck and Be Safe

Bryan S. Williams
    Williams Associates Protective Services, LLC
    www.wa-protective.com
    www.wttrw.com

There is often a misconception that real decent training is too expensive, this is just not so. If you pick up a "Grey" certificate for Front Sight outside of Vegas, you can take a four day handgun course for dirt cheap. This course will give you solid Modern Techniques (ala Jeff Cooper) skills. This course will put you in great shape as new CCWer and give you a huge supply of skills and techniques to train on.

I could sell you a cert. for four day course for a lousy $100. I would give it to you for free, but have had a number of people just "lose" the cert that I gave them. That has pretty much wiped out my desire to give them away.

Links