Gun Disarms with the BG at 12:00

This is a discussion on Gun Disarms with the BG at 12:00 within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a follow-up to the thread in the Tactical Scenarios section, I'm posting some photo sequences of some basic (but still effective) gun disarm techniques. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Disarms with the BG at 12:00

Gun Disarms with the BG at 12:00

As a follow-up to the thread in the Tactical Scenarios section, I'm posting some photo sequences of some basic (but still effective) gun disarm techniques. I'll say this right up front, this is not "The way," it's only "A way." There are lots of techniqes out there. Some good, some bad, and some downright suicidal. These techniqes have been consistently effective when worked with a high level of intensity by myself, and the students in my class.

For a technique to be viable, it must meet the following criteria:

1. Your first move MUST prevent the gun from pointing at you (this can be done my moving the gun, moving yourself, or preferably both at the same time).

2. After getting the gun offline, you must immediately gain control of the weapon.

3. After gaining control of the weapon, you must be in a postition that prevents the BG from pointing it at you again.

4. Neutralize the attacker and take the weapon (the other way around is fine too).

Now that that's out of the way, let's look at some techniqes. One thing to note is that in order to make it easier to see what's going on, my partner will not be grabbing/controlling me with his "off" hand. The techniqes would still work but it would be harder to see.

to make it easier on myself (photos, text, etc.) I'm using a separate post for each pic and caption. (so do me a favor and wait to comment until I'm done )

In this scenario, the BG has pointed the pistol at our face/head. Notice, I've got my hands up. I need them up if I'm going to do anything with them and it's not going to look out of place if I have someone pointing a pistol at me.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

2. Remove Ads

Remember rule #1, my first move has to get the weapon offline. To accomplish this, I'm going to drop (notice the bent knees) and shoot my hands upward. I like to have one hand on the gun, and one hand on the attacker's arm/wrist/hand. By going for the gun and the arm, if I miss with one, I've still got the other. Another reason I like to grab the gun itself, is that if I'm holding the slide, the weapon will only fire once because my grip prevents the slide from cycling (I've tested this with a 9mm, a .40, and a .45 and it takes no more than "firm handshake" pressure to prevent the weapon from ejecting the spent casing)
    Last edited by KenpoTex; October 14th, 2006 at 10:13 AM.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Now I'm going to combine Steps #2 and #3 (gain control and prevent the attacker from re-acquiring me as a target). To do this, I take a slight step forward with my lead-leg to "close the gap" and "anchor" my elbows (bring them close to my body). This accomplishes three things: 1) it give me a lot of control on the weapon, 2) by anchoring my elbows, I'm making it almost impossible for him to pull the gun back, and 3) I'm already starting to break his grip on the gun. Notice that the weapon is pointed up in the air and I will not be hit even if the weapon is fired.

Matt K.

Now I "strip" the gun from his hand

Matt K.

...and hit him. I like knee-strikes for the initial attack so that I don't have to let go in the event that I haven't gotten the gun away from him yet. In this particular case, I'm going with a knee to the groin. Note: many times, this step can be combined with stripping the gun because taking a shot to the jewels is going to take his mind off of hanging on to the gun.

Matt K.

Now I'm going to land forward and slam the back of the slide into his temple (at this point, it's probably "lights out")

Matt K.

Finally, I'm going to back away and either draw my own pistol, or perform a malfunction-drill on his so I have a functioning weapon (really, he's probably not still on his feet after having the side of his skull caved-in)

Okay, that's it for the first one, I have a video clip of this disarm at close to full-speed so you can see how it "flows."

edit...here's the link to this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe6KacYVMHk

Stand by for the next technique.
    Last edited by KenpoTex; October 14th, 2006 at 10:56 AM.

Matt K.

In this scenario, we're dealing with a pistol pointed at our chest/midsection. Once again, I'm going to get my hands up as soon as possible...

Matt K.

Because the gun is oriented lower, I'm not going to try to duck under it like I did before. That means deflecting it off to the side. I do this by stepping slightly forward and off-angle (I prefer stepping to the outside if it's an option so that I can stay away from his other hand). and turning my upper-body so that it's perpendicular to his. This narrows my profile so I present less of a target. As I step, I'm going to use my lead-hand to push the gun away from me. I don't want to "slap" or "hit" it away because then I'd lose control of it. Notice, I'm already grabbing his wrist. It looks like the gun is pointed at my right hand but that's just a trick of the camera. The back of my right hand is actually touching my chest, the gun is about 12" from my body at this point so if it fires, I'm not going to get hit.

Matt K.

Now I'm going to grab the gun with my other hand. Once again, If he fires at this point, he's only got one shot. Also, notice once again that I've anchored my elbows...the gun is now MINE!

Matt K.

Now I'm going to step forward with my rear leg (in this case, my right). Because my elbows remain anchored, this serves to twist the weapon inward towards him. As you can see, his control of the weapon at this point is shaky to say the least.

Matt K.

I strip the gun as I blast him with a knee-strike, this time to the outside of his thigh. This serves to "buckle" him and will really stun the hell out of his leg. (judging by the look on his face, I must have popped him a little harder than I thought )

Matt K.

I'll follow up by landing back where I was, and blasting him with an inward elbow-strike to the jaw...

Matt K.

Once again I'll back off and cover him with either my gun or his.

That's it for this one. Here's the link to the vid-clip. You'll notice that I didn't use the same strikes in the clip that I did in the photo sequence. The exact strikes are really not important. The important thing is to hit the guy with the most effective weapon based on your respective positions and on which targets are available. In the photos I went with a knee to the thigh and an elbow to the jaw. In the video, I went with a knee to the groin, smashed him in the temple with the gun, and the nailed him with a left-hook. Whatever...just hit the guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBwmqmpOnwg

I look forward to your comments and/or questions. As I said, not THE way, just A way. If there's any interest, I can put up some techniques to deal with a gun pointed at you on your 6:00.

Matt K.

Great video, K.! I think I will start practicing this move on a regular basis. The "BG" made a fatal mistake of getting too close to you. What would your technique have been had he been a couple of feet further away?
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links