Is this the setting factor and ability for a fighting Mindset

This is a discussion on Is this the setting factor and ability for a fighting Mindset within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm old enough to remember when disagreements were settled in the parking lot after work. My kids aged 40 to 23 have a hard time ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Is this the setting factor and ability for a fighting Mindset

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I'm old enough to remember when disagreements were settled in the parking lot after work. My kids aged 40 to 23 have a hard time with that. But that didn't mean they wouldn't fight, It just meant they had to learn how. As a teenager I already knew which of my friends would back me up and who would just stand there. I'm sure the military has learned to get these kids used to fighting as a group and as individuals. DR

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I'm old enough to remember when disagreements were settled in the parking lot after work. My kids aged 40 to 23 have a hard time with that. But that didn't mean they wouldn't fight, It just meant they had to learn how. As a teenager I already knew which of my friends would back me up and who would just stand there. I'm sure the military has learned to get these kids used to fighting as a group and as individuals. DR
    Sadly, rampant litigation has erased that golden era. I often wonder how better our society would be if a righteous and appropriate jab to the pie hole was an acceptable course of action.

I wonder if fear of litigation has started to remove the fight instinct from our generation.

VIP Member
    I think I have a fairly good idea how I grew my fighting mindset.

My dad is very old school - he is the money maker, and mom does all the homemaking and child rearing. Mom was the law in our house. She and I were two wet cats in a bag. I was a good kid, honor student, top ten in my class, never smoked, drank or did drugs, and it wasn't good enough for her. I'd get beat and yanked around by my hair anyway. My older brother and I would fight often when we were growing up. Not slap-around scraps, but all out angry fistfights. I've been buckled over on the ground with the wind knocked out of me after being slugged in the stomach, and I've kneed my brother in nads so many times I'm surprised he has two children. Everything was defensive. I didn't start fights, but I didn't roll over, either. One time we got into it good. I went to mom and said He Hit Me. Mom didn't even stop what she was doing or look at me. She said, "What did you do to deserve it?" That has been burned into my memory. If my own mother would not stand up for me, who would? I learned that there was me and only me looking out for me. And I didn't "deserve it." I suppose that's when I grew it.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Senior Moderator
    Sadly, rampant litigation has erased that golden era. I often wonder how better our society would be if a righteous and appropriate jab to the pie hole was an acceptable course of action.
    It worked great up until the 60's.

Then all those hippys and yippys grew up and became Congressmen,Senators and even Presidents.
    And you see where we are at now.
    Betty likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Now we have zero tolerance policies where the victims who dare defend themselves against bullies get punished, too. Got suspended three days in middle school when a big, fat male bully smacked my glasses off my face on the school bus and I pounded him in return. Unfair being suspended, but I didn't regret it. He left me alone after that.

They just don't want any fighting spirit, and they will do their best to punish you into pacifism.
    HotGuns likes this.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links