Speed. Its essential to your health. - Page 2

Speed. Its essential to your health.

This is a discussion on Speed. Its essential to your health. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter Thanks Luis, I will take that advice to heart. I seem to remember this drill has me striking the back of ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Speed. Its essential to your health.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaShooter View Post
    Thanks Luis, I will take that advice to heart. I seem to remember this drill has me striking the back of their wrist with the inside blade of my forearm to knock their gun. And when I tried to move offline left it defeated my power, maybe I should try to move right even though it puts me in front of bad guy #2. It's funny you mention this because I trained for so many years crouching and stepping aside that even now my accuracy and hits are better that way than standing still. Good eye though....
    Remember that the move off line doesn't have to be much if the weapon is pointed at your head. Think of a boxer slipping a punch. Moving right is probably not the best option since his weapon is also going in that direction. Not good if he manages to hang on to it.

I like how you train. Keep it up.
    DRM likes this.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

I like to get in close and use my size and training to my advantage. My off-lining will generally put me closer to the BG and I also like to trap the arm with the weapon, for leverage and or disarms.
    Luis50 likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    My question to all (most have heard it before) Have you put your training and practice to the test of FOF? If not you don't know it a chance of working in real life.

GeorgiaShooter, while your training look good and you are what most would call fast. I question your not taking hits against 2 BG with guns in hand and a 3rd would be bad.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    My question to all (most have heard it before) Have you put your training and practice to the test of FOF? If not you don't know it a chance of working in real life.

GeorgiaShooter, while your training look good and you are what most would call fast. I question your not taking hits against 2 BG with guns in hand and a 3rd would be bad.

Yes, I have.

I'm sure GeorgiaShooter can speak for himself but I'm guessing that the videos he posted are just a few things he works on.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    I like to get in close and use my size and training to my advantage. My off-lining will generally put me closer to the BG and I also like to trap the arm with the weapon, for leverage and or disarms.
    Well and good and often covered in various Krav technique books. Keep in mind that the disarm MUST work and
    you MUST get that gun out of the fight; throw it and use your own which you know will work. Theirs might be a piece
    of junk and jam-o-matic that will do you no good. Also keep in mind that the disarm engages both of your
    hands keeping you from going for your own weapon.
    Last edited by Hopyard; January 8th, 2013 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling correction know to no
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

AOK
    My question to all (most have heard it before) Have you put your training and practice to the test of FOF? If not you don't know it a chance of working in real life..
    Two times so far (more to come). I actually learned through a FOF class an area I needed to improve on is weapon retention. Hence I'm signed up for a retention class in January and February. I'm glad I learned from my mistakes in a training environment rather than in a life/death situation.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Well and good and often covered in various Krav technique books. Keep in mind that the disarm MUST work and
    you MUST get that gun out of the fight
    There is a lot of risks involved in trying to disarm. We spent MANY classes in KM working on handgun disarms. I've seen a lot of people who thought they had specific techniques down pat and once we ran drills/scenarios that induced stress and "assailants" truly fighting back people started to make mistakes.

Having done FOF with Air Soft, the first thing is Get off the X, while moving off the X drawing the gun and blade toward the other person (put your side toward them which reduces the target size for them) and then you are point shooting strong hand only and not aiming. With practice you can do this and hit the target while moving while the other guy's OODA loop is going crazy. I do not ever want to get into contact range of another person or fight on the ground as they may have more physical strength than me as I just turned 65 and I am not getting any stronger but I can shoot the bad guy to the ground in a hurry.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Speed. Its essential to your health.

That is why even after 50 I work out and practice with my tools.

I am not 25 and bulletproof anymore.
    Ha that's funny I'm 25, but haven't tested out the bullet proof thing.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    There is a lot of risks involved in trying to disarm. We spent MANY classes in KM working on handgun disarms. I've seen a lot of people who thought they had specific techniques down pat and once we ran drills/scenarios that induced stress and "assailants" truly fighting back people started to make mistakes.
    First mistake, being there and in that situation. There's a lot of risk in trying to disarm just as there is a lot of
    risk in trying to draw against the drop. Everyone able (and maybe even those disabled especially) need some sort
    of FOF techniques training. I wasn't trying to sell Krav or anything else. I was merely pointing out that just getting a CHL for 25 bucks or just taking the required range test is not preparation for meeting force with a gun. So, we are on the same page actually.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

AOK

Thumbs up

First mistake, being there and in that situation. There's a lot of risk in trying to disarm just as there is a lot of
    risk in trying to draw against the drop. Everyone able (and maybe even those disabled especially) need some sort
    of FOF techniques training. I wasn't trying to sell Krav or anything else. I was merely pointing out that just getting a CHL for 25 bucks or just taking the required range test is not preparation for meeting force with a gun. So, we are on the same page actually.
    I wasn't disagreeing with your point, just adding to it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
    Having done FOF with Air Soft, the first thing is Get off the X, while moving off the X drawing the gun and blade toward the other person (put your side toward them which reduces the target size for them) and then you are point shooting strong hand only and not aiming. With practice you can do this and hit the target while moving while the other guy's OODA loop is going crazy. I do not ever want to get into contact range of another person or fight on the ground as they may have more physical strength than me as I just turned 65 and I am not getting any stronger but I can shoot the bad guy to the ground in a hurry.
    The biggest danger of fighting on the ground is the appearance of an accomplice who will kick your head in. The other big danger of fighting on the ground is getting there. Old guys like us
    will probably break something important as we hit the concrete. That said, with some training you can put the other dude
    on the ground and then run off. Seriously, there are NO 100% answers. Young, old, trained, untrained, armed, unarmed,
    a BG can run the gamut from coward who will take off on intimidation to the sort of character Mitchell CT (a past frequent
    participant here) described as his criminal defense law clients.
    Andrew Jackson

Does real life count? 32 years of law enforcement and 25 of that on the street. I have lots of practical application with less than willing training partners on an assortment of mood altering drugs in various situations.
    Luis50 likes this.

- H. G. Wells -

The biggest danger of fighting on the ground is the appearance of an accomplice who will kick your head in. The other big danger of fighting on the ground is getting there. Old guys like us
    will probably break something important as we hit the concrete. That said, with some training you can put the other dude
    on the ground and then run off.
    No, the real danger is getting on the ground with a good ground fighter. With training you can control who goes down first and how you and them land, to a point. It is not true that all fights go to the ground, but many do. My advantage is 4 years of wrestling, years of martial arts and the fact that I am 6' and 270.

- H. G. Wells -

VIP Member
    No, the real danger is getting on the ground with a good ground fighter. With training you can control who goes down first and how you and them land, to a point. It is not true that all fights go to the ground, but many do. My advantage is 4 years of wrestling, years of martial arts and the fact that I am 6' and 270.
    re: parts in bold-- both good points. Size does count, and at your particular size it is somewhat easier to control who gets to the ground first. For sports, I know guys who will deliberately roll out of a lock and go to the ground and dare you to try to finish them off. One such is a cop about 40 years my junior. I doubt he'd do the same thing on the street. Probably just "bang," at least with a taser.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links