Shooting Stances (Modified Weaver & Isosceles)

This is a discussion on Shooting Stances (Modified Weaver & Isosceles) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks in advance for watching!...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By PhoenixTS
  • 1 Post By Hiram25
  • 4 Post By Bill MO
  • 2 Post By ghost tracker

Thread: Shooting Stances (Modified Weaver & Isosceles)

Shooting Stances (Modified Weaver & Isosceles)

Thanks in advance for watching!

SayVandelay likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Both have their uses, as for me, I try for erect and mobile!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Myself training the need for a shooting stance to shoot will get you killed in most CCers needs in the real world of gunfighting. Most gunfights happen inside 10yds and most of them will be inside 3yds. So see what you need to see get the gun on target the fastest way you can and get hits before the BG does.

Yes if you have time and distance needing stance, sight picture, trigger press and all then yes but most fight will not allow that time or distance. One will fight the way they train. Target shooting will get you killed in real life most times.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    I prefer the isosceles If the threat is always straight out in front of me, which it's not. Consistency is easier to achieve IMHO, this way. Driving the gun straight out to a mechanical lock, a natural stopping point. With the weaver, unless you get the angle exact every time, harder to be consistent. I would like to see his knees bent a little more, weight forward a little more. You are better off practicing drawing from every ackward position you can think of, 360. off axis, on your back, on your sides, etc, imagine it and practice it. The threat is not always out in front of you.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Myself training the need for a shooting stance to shoot will get you killed in most CCers needs in the real world of gunfighting. Most gunfights happen inside 10yds and most of them will be inside 3yds. So see what you need to see get the gun on target the fastest way you can and get hits before the BG does.

Yes if you have time and distance needing stance, sight picture, trigger press and all then yes but most fight will not allow that time or distance. One will fight the way they train. Target shooting will get you killed in real life most times.
    Not training to the stance can get you shot in the leg, the foot, or the off-hand, all courtesy of your own gun.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Not training to the stance can get you shot in the leg, the foot, or the off-hand, all courtesy of your own gun.
    So you train and practice to draw your gun from the holster with your finger on the trigger, I take it.Keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target and read to pull the triggerCome on Mike your smarter than that, stance has nothing to do with the gun going bang. You have to pull the trigger with your finger.

In a gunfight the target is not always where you want it to be if you need to shoot from a certain stance position. Meaning you have to move your feet before you can start the draw, taking time you don't have in a gunfight for you life.

You see the treat, you see the target, just get it done. See what you need to see to get the hits you need to stop the fight the quickest way you can get the job done.

I train to shoot in front, to the side (both sides) and to the rear. Am I covering my body at time with the muzzle? Yes, but my finger is not on the trigger. Training of the trigger finger is one of if not the most important things about shooting a gun. IMO
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

When shooting for "pleasure" (Punching holes in paper), I might use a particular modified stance. I do agree, NEW shooters should LEARN the fundamentals, BEFORE adjusting to situations. When training (defensive pistol), I am moving and NOT concentrating on stance fundamentals... JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Senior Member Array KoriBustard's Avatar
    I'm no expert (as my next comment will probably reveal), but I've been taught by police officers that under duress (which is where most civilian gun owners will find themselves) people will assume a "squared up" stance with hands in front as a natural defensive position. I'm assuming we're talking about defense and not target shooting. So when at the range, I practice only from this "natural" position, or that position in a slight crouch.
    NRA Member
    GOAL Member
    Certified NRA RSO
    EDC: M&P 9c

18 seconds into you first video you talk about "presenting the handgun from a modified Weaver Stance". IMHO, you don't present a defensive handgun "from a stance". You establish your stance while your handgun is being presented. Much like a street fight, that luxury of time, space & circumstances often simply doesn't allow careful foot placement BEFORE the threat appears. Only...during.
    KoriBustard and First Sgt like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I see a lot of great points here. I generally use a modified Weaver stance, but when I practice my CQB techniques, I am usually in constant motion while moving around obstacles and acquiring targets. The only proper stance is the ability to adapt to the requirement of any stance. Anybody else practice drawing and firing while falling? I believe this is a vital skill. Anyone can be surprised by being pushed over buy an assailant. So it can be useful to get this down well.

When I started shooting I was really concerned with stance. Trying to be perfect with both the isosceles and weaver. When I watched hickok45s grip and stance videos, I tried shooting like him and got much better. I'm not saying it's right for everyone or that its the best way to shoot, but it did me a lot of good. He also does this weird thing with his support thumb(think because he shot revolvers for so long early on) and my sight picture was so much more steady. I just think everyone finds their own variation naturally without even realizing it.

Links