NRA Basic Pistol Instruction: Friends and family?

This is a discussion on NRA Basic Pistol Instruction: Friends and family? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am going to be taking my NRA basic pistol instructors course in about a month. Once the process is complete, assuming I pass everything ...

I am going to be taking my NRA basic pistol instructors course in about a month. Once the process is complete, assuming I pass everything required and then setup the proper insurance and legal documentation, I have thought about having my first class be a "friends and family" class to work out how I personally will instruct before moving on to open classes. Is there anything in the instructor rules against teaching direct family members or close friends and certifying them in the course to be used for them to apply for a CCW permit (state of Ohio)?

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Nothing in the NRA rules. In fact we encourage it, because your first class will probably be a bit rough around the edges, getting familiar with lesson plans, policy, and teaching methods. Your family members most likely will not be afraid to tell you what you need to work on and fix. However, you should ask Ohio since they run the concealed program in the state and see if you can teach family or is it a conflict of interest.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Nothing in the NRA rules. In fact we encourage it, because your first class will probably be a bit rough around the edges, getting familiar with lesson plans, policy, and teaching methods. Your family members most likely will not be afraid to tell you what you need to work on and fix. However, you should ask Ohio since they run the concealed program in the state and see if you can teach family or is it a conflict of interest.
    I completely agree. Although this is a really good course, as you do a few classes you will refine your techniques and friends and family are a great way to start. Also, it is considered tacky to charge mom for the course. Brother in law, that is a different story.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I completely agree. Although this is a really good course, as you do a few classes you will refine your techniques and friends and family are a great way to start. Also, it is considered tacky to charge mom for the course. Brother in law, that is a different story.
    Hah, Mamma already has her permit or I'd be giving her a freebie

Good to know, I was hoping to be able to start this way with people I know to get tips and work out the kinks. Thanks!

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    You can also practice presenting the class to an empty room and video it. The key here is be prepared , know the material, teach the class so the least experienced of your students will "get it". That way you won't be teaching over their heads. One word of caution here, and I don't mean this in a derogatory way at all, on the range ,watch the women carefully. They like to turn around with the gun in their hand and sweep everybody there. Not all, but many. I know one instructor that puts on a vest to teach the women. That being said, you will also find that they will out shoot alot of the men. Good luck.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

My friends and family get ALL of my classes first. Great way to work on timing.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Nope, not a problem so long as the course meets the NRA's requirements for the certificate, and Ohio's training requirements. But, I am not a lawyer, be sure to verify that.

Out of curiosity, who is your training counselor? You can PM me if you don't want it on the general forum.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I was looking last year to become a pistol instructor. I believe I would be very good at it since I have no problem talking in front of a group of people.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    The first time I taught any NRA course, I paid another seasoned Instructor to assist me. We also split up the instruction.

The advantages:

- You play off each other.
    - You learn from how the other person does it.
    - You build your own self-confidence.
    - You refine your own teaching techniques.

Two years ago I created a "MA Gun Law Seminar". Since it is one-of-a-kind, I invited a firearms attorney, a couple of firearms Instructors, my Wife (a firearms owner) and a few others to attend and critique a trial run (free). Regrettably only one firearms Instructor (who is also a very long time friend) and my Wife were able to attend due to other commitments, but the critique was invaluable. I went back and reworked the presentation, improving it tremendously. I have probably run that seminar 30-50 times now and the presentation is extremely smooth. If you have the knack for teaching, you will get better and better (as well as more self-confident) as you get more experience with it.
    NRA Instructor

Links