Looking for a Shooting School

This is a discussion on Looking for a Shooting School within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wanted to hear the opinions of others to find a good tactical shooting school. Right now looking at Rodgers in GA "Heard alot of good ...

Thread: Looking for a Shooting School

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

Wanted to hear the opinions of others to find a good tactical shooting school.

Right now looking at Rodgers in GA "Heard alot of good things about Rodgers"

Underconsideration
    Gunsite
    Sigarms Academy

Out
    Blackwater
    Frontsite

I was impressed with Bill Davison when I took a class from him at the Glock Summit.
    http://www.tacproshootingcenter.com/
    I would also like to take a longer class with John Farnum
    http://www.defense-training.com/courses/index.html
    Again after taking a short class with Andy Stanford I think he would be a good instructor.
    http://www.optionsforpersonalsecurity.com/
    If you would like to come down to S. Florida you could do a lot worse than attending a class with Nelson Marchand and Eagle Tactics
    http://www.eagletactics.com/

Sorry, I don't know of any in Fairfax, but it looked like you wouldn't be adverse to a little travel. Good luck on you selection and give us a report after you attend.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    You could try Pat Goodale in West Virginia, PGPFT, I took his Handgun one class. It started out with the classroom session for CCW, then we hit the range. If you already have a class like that, you can go to the Handgun 2 class.

I will be going back for the 2 and probalby the Advanced class as soon as the funds meet available time.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

A Rogers alumni here.

The Rogers Shooting School is considered a “Tier 1” shooting school. It is up there with the really big name schools. Many consider Rogers the gold standard of the pure shooting schools (Paul Gomez for example). Bill trains mostly military and police tactical teams and a few civilians. What you will see a pure shooting and little tactical training, most folks that go to Ellijay are well up to speed with their tactics.

It is not for the novice or entry level shooter. This course has been called by one SPECOP gentleman I know as the “Highest stress, week long, shooting school in existence!” That is an under statement, the place is a pressure cooker.

I would not recommend Rogers as a first school. One must be extremely solid with his skills before walking in the door. If not, the rest of the class will blow by you! There is no wasted time in the whole week, the op tempo is very high.

A Rogers ticket is well respected by everyone in the know of the tactical shooting community.

Any other Rogers alumni out there who want to chime in?

Tom Given's CP1 or Gabe Suarez's CRG are very good also.

I second the idea of Pat Goodale's class.

Pat is probably one of the gun world's best kept secrets.

I took defensive handgun 1 and 2 several years ago and they are first rate courses. I plan to do more training with Pat.

By the way, since you are from Fairfax, you might want to check Suarez International to see if they still have openings in the force on force class Gabe is holding in Manassas, VA in March of next year.

I think this is the link to Gabe's schedule http://www.suarezinternational.com/tech.html

I agree with PaulG and vlazlow regarding Gabe Suarez! But, you need to be very comfortable with the defensive use of pistols before signing up for Gabe's classes. It's more advanced.
    Texas DPS CHL Instructor

Is there such a thing as having too many Glocks???

"You may all go to Hell; And I will go to Texas!" Davy Crockett-1836

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Another option is Randy Cain from TN. He like many others travels around the Country running his programs, so you may find him closer to you than TN.
    NRA Instructor

If I may ask, why is Blackwater out?

I took their Level II handgun course last May and it was as good as I've had, and I've had a lot - Gunsite - all four handgun courses, Thunder Ranch Level II Handgun. I'll probably go to Blackwater again next year and take the same handgun course - it was that good.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links