How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

This is a discussion on How Far Away Should I Take The Shot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sprinting or doing 50 jumping jacks before taking the sot is a good thing to do. Also practice taking deep breaths to calm down...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

Senior Moderator
    Sprinting or doing 50 jumping jacks before taking the sot is a good thing to do.

Also practice taking deep breaths to calm down
    Aceoky likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    Keep increasing the distance until you fail. There are three componants to this, size of the target, distance from the target,and speed. Stay at 30 feet and increase your speed until you fail, then you know what speed you can be accurate at 30 feet. Then back up to 45 feet, same procedure, you will know how fast you can be acurate at that distance. As you move back and repeat this process, the two of the three componants that will change are distance, and speed. You have to slow down as distance increases to get your hits. Getting your hits remains a constant. For instance, the picture tells me you are shooting too slow at 30 feet. It works both ways. Long story short, your looking for that point at which you fail. Move up to about 6-10 feet and see how fast you can get those hits. Then move to 30 feet and shoot at the same speed, you will find you need to slow down. You have to push yourself to the point of failure to find those limits.
    Win94ae and kaikane0812 like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exacto View Post
    Keep increasing the distance until you fail. There are three componants to this, size of the target, distance from the target,and speed. Stay at 30 feet and increase your speed until you fail, then you know what speed you can be accurate at 30 feet. Then back up to 45 feet, same procedure, you will know how fast you can be acurate at that distance. As you move back and repeat this process, the two of the three componants that will change are distance, and speed. You have to slow down as distance increases to get your hits. Getting your hits remains a constant. For instance, the picture tells me you are shooting too slow at 30 feet. It works both ways. Long story short, your looking for that point at which you fail. Move up to about 6-10 feet and see how fast you can get those hits. Then move to 30 feet and shoot at the same speed, you will find you need to slow down. You have to push yourself to the point of failure to find those limits.
    That is not a four-shot group, but rather four one-shot groups, so I'm not sure how you got a speed read. One round from chest ready to full extension to fire in 1.5 seconds or less, four times.
    Taurahe likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

That's one nice looking bad guy, he's so calm how could you put extra pores in his face like that? I mean he just wanted to have a talk with her.

Evil gun owners!!

Good shooting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    That is not a four-shot group, but rather four one-shot groups, so I'm not sure how you got a speed read. One round from chest ready to full extension to fire in 1.5 seconds or less, four times.
    Your group is too good. Push your one shot until you don't get the hit exactly where you want it. that's your fail point. That might be as fast as you can shoot at this distance and get them in there like that,and maybe you can shoot faster. I get the speed read because you didn't fail. I know, it's easier to teach that to explain.
    Win94ae and Tzadik like this.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

VIP Member
    Your group is too good. Push your one shot until you don't get the hit exactly where you want it. that's your fail point. That might be as fast as you can shoot at this distance and get them in there like that,and maybe you can shoot faster. I get the speed read because you didn't fail. I know, it's easier to teach that to explain.
    The purpose of this exercise is to know at what range I can take the shot with 100% accuracy. If my group isn't good, I have failed. If I fail, my daughter/sister dies. One shot, cold-bore (as close as I can repeatedly approximate), no follow-ups, no second chances.
    aus71383 likes this.
    Tuco

The purpose of this exercise is to know at what range I can take the shot with 100% accuracy. If my group isn't good, I have failed. If I fail, my daughter/sister dies.
    For myself, I'd also want to know where my 90% failure mark is, as well. When it comes right down to it, I want to be aware of how far I'm capable of pushing it under (at least simulated) stressed situations. With a 90% or better chance of helping reverse a greater chance of death or serious injury to one or both of us, with my own family members I'd like to think I would take that shot. Heavily depends on recent training, understanding with family.

Nice accuracy, there, M. Agreed on the varying of distances/speeds/movement/stress until you know the "patterning" of defensive shooting in that scenario.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

The purpose of this exercise is to know at what range I can take the shot with 100% accuracy. If my group isn't good, I have failed. If I fail, my daughter/sister dies. One shot, cold-bore (as close as I can repeatedly approximate), no follow-ups, no second chances.
    Ok Mike, how will you know at what range you can take the shot if you don't know at what range you can't. You want to fail in practice trying to establish that point, not in a real life scenario.
    Win94ae likes this.

VIP Member
    Ok Mike, how will you know at what range you can take the shot if you don't know at what range you can't. You want to fail in practice trying to establish that point, not in a real life scenario.
    Right. My shots start falling outside the triangle at forty feet, which is where my improvement efforts on this particular exercise are now centered.
    Exacto and Aceoky like this.
    Tuco

Nice shooting. Ideally they'd be 1.5" lower going thru cartilage, instead of bone.

Nice shooting. I like to practice shooting an apple off someone's head. It's much more scary for both of us. LOL.

Nice marksmanship, Mike! And I like the target. I went on their website and I like several offerings. I might just have to order a few to add to my training/practice.

Just make sure your gun doesn't jam

At a quarter a target, you aren't saving much.
    When asked "paper or plastic" at the store, we take paper. Combine that with a Sharpie marker and I'm in for cheaper than 25 cents. I'm not rich or poor, just CHEAP. The of cheap!
    WHEC724 likes this.
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

1.5 seconds from the holster concealed maybe, but I'd try faster if the gun is already out. Agree with the comments above, push, push, push and then push some more. Good target, good training, so few really do it. Thanks for the link too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links