How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

This is a discussion on How Far Away Should I Take The Shot? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sgt45 1.5 seconds from the holster concealed maybe, but I'd try faster if the gun is already out. Agree with the comments ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 80
Like Tree88Likes

Thread: How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

  1. #31
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt45 View Post
    1.5 seconds from the holster concealed maybe, but I'd try faster if the gun is already out. Agree with the comments above, push, push, push and then push some more. Good target, good training, so few really do it. Thanks for the link too.
    Faster from concealment is a different set of drills, but I understand your points.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,357
    Mike as to your question " How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?"

    Depends on the situation you find yourself in. Not only do you have to factor in your shooting ability but all facts involved. How you feel that day, the threat level facing you and the one being held, (being shot by you can or could be a less stressful happenstance than letting the threat continue) your own mindset. A situation as this is not only can you make a good shot but does it need to be made. If the answer to the question is YES it needs to be made, does it need to be made even if it's not a 100% success on hit.

    I see being faced with this situation being can you live with what ever happens (shoot, don't shoot, victim lives/dies (by you or BG). Is your mindset strong enough to handle it.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

    "Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

  4. #33
    VIP Member Array Snub44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    4,575
    ...you are to be congratulated on tackling the situation most of us dread the most...may you never need to make it...may you not miss if you do...and, yes, that IS a prayer...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    At exactly what distance am I 100% certain of my accuracy? This is a 3/4 scale target, thirty feet from me.Attachment 66826 These are the first four shots I took today, each one coming from chest ready. Attachment 66827 I am not extolling my marksmanship, because there are many here who would outdo me every time. I am just saying I endeavor to train effectively, so I will know my limitations, and expand my abilities and skills.
    Aceoky likes this.

  5. #34
    Ex Member Array gunslingergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    162
    Use FMJ, that way if you hit the victim you'll still get the bad guy. Problem solved.

  6. #35
    VIP Member Array dukalmighty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    15,095
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ya'll are rich. I draw on a piece of cardboard.
    It's hard as hell to hit stick people center mass
    high pockets and Tzadik like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

  7. #36
    Member Array Moops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    200

    How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ya'll are rich. I draw on a piece of cardboard.
    That's why I shoot at paper plates. <$.01 each.
    "Your mind is the weapon, all the rest are just tools." --gasmitty

  8. #37
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,190
    Quote Originally Posted by gunslingergirl View Post
    Use FMJ, that way if you hit the victim you'll still get the bad guy. Problem solved.
    The purpose of this exercise has clearly eluded you.

  9. #38
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    ...you are to be congratulated on tackling the situation most of us dread the most...may you never need to make it...may you not miss if you do...and, yes, that IS a prayer...
    Thanks. I share those hopes and prayers, but at least will not be covering completely unfamiliar ground if it ever comes up.
    Aceoky likes this.

  10. #39
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Moops View Post
    That's why I shoot at paper plates. <$.01 each.
    Paper plates lack the personal touch that human representations afford.

  11. #40
    Member Array TheConcealer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by SayVandelay View Post
    They both look very calm for a rapey guy target. People use those at my range and the results tend to be scary. I'd say if you ever found yourself in this situation it would, most likely, be well within 30 feet
    He just finished.
    Living a life free from fear, means being able to protect it at all times.
    Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
    NRA

  12. #41
    VIP Member
    Array Mike1956's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Marion County, Ohio
    Posts
    9,190
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Mike as to your question " How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?"

    Depends on the situation you find yourself in. Not only do you have to factor in your shooting ability but all facts involved. How you feel that day, the threat level facing you and the one being held, (being shot by you can or could be a less stressful happenstance than letting the threat continue) your own mindset. A situation as this is not only can you make a good shot but does it need to be made. If the answer to the question is YES it needs to be made, does it need to be made even if it's not a 100% success on hit.

    I see being faced with this situation being can you live with what ever happens (shoot, don't shoot, victim lives/dies (by you or BG). Is your mindset strong enough to handle it.
    Nothing affects mindset and ability more than training does. We have all heard that in combat, we fall to our lowest level of training. I try to raise that lower limit.
    Aceoky likes this.

  13. #42
    Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Nothing affects mindset and ability more than training does. We have all heard that in combat, we fall to our lowest level of training. I try to raise that lower limit.
    I have to agree
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

    "Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

  14. #43
    New Member Array PH40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Ya'll are rich. I draw on a piece of cardboard.

    My drawings will be stick men and hard to hit....

  15. #44
    Ex Member Array DetChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    2,625
    Ugh. Anything past 5 feet would be dicey for me.

    For one that gal in the picture could be my wife or daughter. Miss the bad guy and I'll probably nail one of my own.

    Two, real living things don't stay still like paper targets too.

    Anything longer than kicking distance is extremely risky in a real world scenario. IMO.
    kelcarry likes this.

  16. #45
    VIP Member Array StormRhydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Music City, USA
    Posts
    2,557
    I ordered a variety of targets, and some like the one shown here. They have various bad looking, bad guys, btw.

    I found them helpful, AND really like the variety they add to practice.

    My favorites are probably the ones with a combo of numbers, colors, and shapes. Ie Red triangle, or blue 1, or whatever. For use when someone else is calling your targets.

    Quote Originally Posted by palmcoaster View Post
    That is a good practice scenario.Ill have to check if there are targets like that I can get my hands on

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •