Defensive Carry banner

How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?

8K views 99 replies 51 participants last post by  Mike1956 
#1 ·
At exactly what distance am I 100% certain of my accuracy? This is a 3/4 scale target, thirty feet from me. Land lot Soil Tree Grass Grassland
These are the first four shots I took today, each one coming from chest ready. Photograph Fun Photography Vintage clothing Illustration
I am not extolling my marksmanship, because there are many here who would outdo me every time. I am just saying I endeavor to train effectively, so I will know my limitations, and expand my abilities and skills.

See less See more
#7 ·
Yes, and they have many others. By far the best quality, most reasonably-priced targets I have ever purchased. They will also work great for any of you instructors who do scenario training.

Reactions: Aceoky and oneshot
#15 ·
They both look very calm for a rapey guy target. People use those at my range and the results tend to be scary. I'd say if you ever found yourself in this situation it would, most likely, be well within 30 feet

#16 ·
Sprinting or doing 50 jumping jacks before taking the sot is a good thing to do.

Also practice taking deep breaths to calm down

Reactions: Aceoky
#17 ·
Keep increasing the distance until you fail. There are three componants to this, size of the target, distance from the target,and speed. Stay at 30 feet and increase your speed until you fail, then you know what speed you can be accurate at 30 feet. Then back up to 45 feet, same procedure, you will know how fast you can be acurate at that distance. As you move back and repeat this process, the two of the three componants that will change are distance, and speed. You have to slow down as distance increases to get your hits. Getting your hits remains a constant. For instance, the picture tells me you are shooting too slow at 30 feet. It works both ways. Long story short, your looking for that point at which you fail. Move up to about 6-10 feet and see how fast you can get those hits. Then move to 30 feet and shoot at the same speed, you will find you need to slow down. You have to push yourself to the point of failure to find those limits.

#18 ·
That is not a four-shot group, but rather four one-shot groups, so I'm not sure how you got a speed read. One round from chest ready to full extension to fire in 1.5 seconds or less, four times.

Reactions: Taurahe
#32 ·
Mike as to your question " How Far Away Should I Take The Shot?"

Depends on the situation you find yourself in. Not only do you have to factor in your shooting ability but all facts involved. How you feel that day, the threat level facing you and the one being held, (being shot by you can or could be a less stressful happenstance than letting the threat continue) your own mindset. A situation as this is not only can you make a good shot but does it need to be made. If the answer to the question is YES it needs to be made, does it need to be made even if it's not a 100% success on hit.

I see being faced with this situation being can you live with what ever happens (shoot, don't shoot, victim lives/dies (by you or BG). Is your mindset strong enough to handle it.

#33 ·
...you are to be congratulated on tackling the situation most of us dread the most...may you never need to make it...may you not miss if you do...and, yes, that IS a prayer...
At exactly what distance am I 100% certain of my accuracy? This is a 3/4 scale target, thirty feet from me. View attachment 66826 These are the first four shots I took today, each one coming from chest ready. View attachment 66827 I am not extolling my marksmanship, because there are many here who would outdo me every time. I am just saying I endeavor to train effectively, so I will know my limitations, and expand my abilities and skills.

#59 ·
What is this forum about? I thought it was about defensive carry and to me that means imminent danger, if we exclude military and police commentary, and only refer to the "average joe", which I have always thought is the moving force of this forum. I cannot for the life of me (pardon the pun and can accept exceptions that make sense) how imminent danger can be equated to anything more than 5 ft away and I would change that to 20 ft away for a reasonable point for sensing imminent danger. Beyond that, unless the BG has already pointed a firearm at you or has actually discharged same, what exactly is the reason for your "reasonable assumption of imminent danger" as the precursor, in most gun laws, to discharge.

#48 ·
IMO, practicing to the best of your ability is key. You cannot duplicate such a situation perfectly, but having practiced it you will be better prepared than the other guys. I think the important part of such a situation is knowing exactly how far you can make this shot with 100% accuracy, then cut it inhalf for the stress of such a situation affecting your accuracy. This is the shot no one of any skill level or profession wants to be faced with ever.

Reactions: Aceoky and USM1976
#49 ·
I'm thinking 5 feet if you're determined to go for a head shot. Its going to take a second or more for you to get your gun up to fire and the bad guy can easily pull her in closer to him in that time, meaning a greater chance you'll hit her instead. And when staring at the face of a loved one, not a generic stranger on a target, you will most likely hesitate, I know I would. That hesitation could cost you dearly. If you go for a different shot, designed to draw his attention and gun off of her, you can go a much farther distance and follow up with head shots if you like.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.