An update to last March's post...

This is a discussion on An update to last March's post... within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is not about me being exceptional. I'm certainly not. In March of last year I posted that I had contracted Bell's palsy and that ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By Olduser

Thread: An update to last March's post...

This is not about me being exceptional. I'm certainly not. In March of last year I posted that I had contracted Bell's palsy and that I had some grip issues due to an injured L hand from a table saw accident. MD helped me to find a grip then and today arthritis has further affected the strength and range of motion in this hand.

Due to the Bell's palsy the cornea in my R eye became infected and despite valiant attempts by my eye Doc's I since lost the sight in this eye. I was R eye dominate and my depth perception is now permanently affected.

With practice and determination I'm overcoming these challenges the best I can. I've taught myself to shoot my rifles L handed and to keep improving my pistol grip. With my pistols and revolvers I'm reasonably good inside of 25 yds and competent inside of 10 yds. In the prone position I can hit COM's at 100 yds with my rifles using iron sights. Rifle and pistol magazine reloading is cumbersome especially with my Garand clips.

While these are challenges the most effective weapon I have is still between my ears. Guns, holsters, practice, training, etc., will only be helpful if my mind is in the game. I am NOT dismissing practice, training and equipment.

You must think differently, act differently and most importantly be honest about your limitations. I read this elsewhere:

"The worst thing about growing old was that other men stopped seeing me as dangerous."

Add to the above a one eyed, one handed guy wearing a nose hose (I need oxygen) and I hope you begin to appreciate the mind is what makes everything possible…whether your young or old or live with challenges. And you must practice, practice, practice. I simply want to emphasize how important the mind is in overcoming challenges and its difficult for me to find a few words to express this.
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

2. Remove Ads

Exclamation Wow

And you must practice, practice, practice. I simply want to emphasize how important the mind is in overcoming challenges
    You just expressed it very well!

Congrats on the results, and congrats on the attitude!

Great post. Thanks for sharing and congrats in overcoming all those difficulties you're encountering. Brings up another issue related to the current demand for bans - what about people with disabilities?

Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    Great post. Thanks for sharing and congrats in overcoming all those difficulties you're encountering. Brings up another issue related to the current demand for bans - what about people with disabilities?
    I don't consider myself disabled, but I am vulnerable. As been said many times perception is reality. To a BG I'm a "soft" target, not to mention those with truly serious disabilities. Should disabled people (whatever your definition) be exempt from magazine restrictions? Bans? No gun zones? Other?

I'll begin by answering I would support them on a case by case basis because I believe special circumstances exist, but the who, how and why is for wiser men than me. A person with disabilities is at greater risk than any able bodied man. To disarm, indeed impose further carry limitations or restrictions, seems criminal and uncivilized..
    "The only thing I'm an expert about is my experience."

Good work!

Improvise - adapt - overcome! Works for more than just the Marines.

Stay safe!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for posting this. You are absolutely right about everything you wrote. Congrats on overcoming your newly developed limitations.

The world needs many more people like you! I've always believed that one must play the hand they are dealt, even if it isn't optimal. People like you earn my respect.
    Owner, Maple Leaf Firearms LLC (07 FFL/02SOT)

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar

Awesome. Simply awesome. Much respect.

...you're made of the stuff that made America great!!! Please share it with all who'll listen...she needs it desperately these days...keep on keepin' on...you make me proud!!!

Thanks for a great post and good luck!

Links