I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now? - Page 2

I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

This is a discussion on I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Find a really good IDPA shooter and ask him to spend some 1 on 1 time working with you. Most will be tickled pink to ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

Find a really good IDPA shooter and ask him to spend some 1 on 1 time working with you. Most will be tickled pink to work with you so long as you have a great attitude towards learning. He can spot what you may be doing sub-optimally or poorly and show you how to do it better. Use your identified weaknesses to develop a tailored training plan and work your plan in structured practice sessions. Lastly, don't look for gear solutions to skill problems.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chasbo00 View Post
    Find a really good IDPA shooter and ask him to spend some 1 on 1 time working with you. Most will be tickled pink to work with you so long as you have a great attitude towards learning. He can spot what you may be doing sub-optimally or poorly and show you how to do it better. Use your identified weaknesses to develop a tailored training plan and work your plan in structured practice sessions. Lastly, don't look for gear solutions to skill problems.
    If you are looking to be good in the gaming world that's good info, but the OP stated he was wanting to move into shooting defensive handgunning. While IDPA is good practice shooting the gun and gives you gun handling, it is not defensive gunfighting and skills needed to win a gunfight. I shoot IDPA and what's done in gaming can get you killed in the real world of gun fights.

I know there is those who will disagree with what I just said but gaming is gaming and fighting is fighting. apples and oranges.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    If you are looking to be good in the gaming world that's good info, but the OP stated he was wanting to move into shooting defensive handgunning. While IDPA is good practice shooting the gun and gives you gun handling, it is not defensive gunfighting and skills needed to win a gunfight. I shoot IDPA and what's done in gaming can get you killed in the real world of gun fights.

I know there is those who will disagree with what I just said but gaming is gaming and fighting is fighting. apples and oranges.
    If you want to learn how to shoot well, get a solid competitive shooter to help you. If you want to learn gun fighting tactics, get a good tactical trainer to help you. If you can't tell the difference between a game and gunfight, then you probably should not have anything to do with training for either one of them.

Like others have said, get professional training. Then go back to basics.

Then get professional training, then go back to basics.

Get professional training, then go back to basics.

When you think you are good, you are just scratching the surface.

No matter what discipline you participate in, they all go back to fundamental skills.
    I consider myself mediocre. So I will go back to fundamentals.
    Accuracy , speed, power. Those are the holy grail components of a gunfighter.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links