I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

This is a discussion on I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Im into training, not just buying stuff for the sake of it although i have considered branching out into other calibers and makes. Im into ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

Im into training, not just buying stuff for the sake of it although i have considered branching out into other calibers and makes. Im into 9mm S&Ws now. I've been shooting more and starting to compete some in IDPA. I don't just go to the range and blast away, I'm trying to improve accuracy and technique.

I'm planning on putting triggers and sights in some guns.

Where do I go next? I've finally got to where I'm "good" but not great. How do I make the next step?

Pay for some one on one instruction?
    Attend a course?
    I dry fire and its really good practice. Any laser kits/targets out there?
    I've thought of getting a 22LR pistol to shoot more.

If I put money into range/training time I know its well spent.

What else can a guy do to improve his skills and practice?

I would love to do a class I think shoot 22 can help with fundamentals but no replacing training done with your carry gun

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Sounds as if you have the fundamentals of the gun down. My advice is to get training on gunfighting as fighting with a gun is different than target shooting. My suggestion for that is:

Suarez International USA, Inc.

Find something close to home and get started. I'd start with one of these:

Suarez International Intermediate Pistol Courses

Close Range Gunfighting or Point Shooting Progressions
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Some professional training would be in order. Id love to take some form of training but of course that dang thing called a budget just aint big enough right now.

SI and others have quality Gun Fighting Courses that in most cases may be located somewhere near you go check their calendars for classes. Yes, you do have to budget $$$ for these classes as most are in the $300-$400 range. Dry firing and going to the range will not get you the level of training these classes will provide. Also you need to budget 700-1000 rounds of ammo for a two day class. You will need a reliable gun and 10+mags for that gun, sorry but Glocks rule in most of these classes. These classes run on "Hot Ranges" that have all guns loaded all the time. Most if not all of the starting classes will take newby's, but you will need to have some skills beyond shooting a weekly IDPA course or two, to get into the advanced Gun Fighting Courses. I have taken 5 Advanced Gun Fighting courses in the last 3 years including a Reunion Class and in the last two classes shot all Ranger T 9MM +P+ ammo. Some classes have reactionary targets that only go down with a good Center of Mass shot. Good Luck in your search for your class.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

I agree with taking classes and learning from others. It hasn't been said yet and you may already do this but reloading your own ammo could help you spend more time at the range. It's cheaper and can be more accurate than factory loads. Just a thought...

If you haven't already, join the NRA.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Practice, practice, practice. Take professional instruction. Dry fire a LOT. Then practice some more!
    glockman10mm likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Good for you.

Yep the next step is to take some training you can only go so far on your own. I use .22's for practice the main thing is to have them identical or similar to your carry gun however trigger time is trigger time to practice fundamentals.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

For a lot of classes you can usually get by with 4 or 5 magazines, and many of them for the entry level shoot between 500 - 600 rounds so that saves a bit of money right there.

I've never been to a course where I needed 10 pistol mags. At a ball park figure of $50 each that's $500 for 10 mags. I don't own 10 mags for any of my pistols. 5 magazines and an Upula loader will get you through about any course.

Most classes I've been to will allow you to shoot more than one gun and encourage you to use your back-up gun if you carry one. Many recommend bringing a second gun anyway in case your main gun breaks during the course.

I agree, taking a defensive pistol class will bring you to a new level you just can't get going to the range with a few friends. However, after you attend a course, it's imparative to practice what you learn at that class on your own, or with friends. The class teaches you what you must train on after the course is over if you wish to become proficient.

Keeping up with IDPA does help provide a competition spirit. It introduces stress to your shooting routine. Also, there are a lot of experienced shooters at IDPA matches who are more than willing to help show you ways to improve or correct and build on what you've managed to accomplish on your own.

Shooting well requires constant practice. Skills deteriorate rapidly if you don't train regularly. However, a shooting session where you only shoot 50 well thought out rounds on a challenging course of fire every couple of weeks will do more to build your skills than shooting 250 rounds in a session only two or three times a year.

The down side... Shooting is an expensive hobby and defensive shooting and gunfight training can get down right very expensive.
    RoadRunner71 likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Re: I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

Think of any 22LR pistols that are similar to a Shield? The Sig Mosquito looks about that size but the similarity ends there. S&W/Walther make the full size 22 but I don't carry a full size.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    I EDC XD9 mostly the subcompact. Classes are done with subcompact or service, I do practice with those and 1911 airsoft on which I don't use the safety. Would I carry a real 1911 that way no but that's the closest I can come to my XD in airsoft.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

On the magazine issue, I got my Glock 15 round mags for $20 each in quantities of 5 and bought 25 of them 3 years ago. I shoot the G-19 in all my classes. If you have a single stack 45ACP with 4-6 mags you will do 2-3 reps on the course of fire then have to reload them. I and most others have several loaded mags on me and in my ammo bag ready to go. Class moves much faster when everyone is ready to go. Now would be the time (may also be past time) to go find extra hi-cap mags if available.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life

Re: I'm into shooting defensive handguns. What now?

Wow. I never thought of buying more than a few extra mags for a handgun.

In this day and time any extra Hi-Cap mags are a good thing. What do you do if you have 2 of 5 mags that will not function in the gun except to make it jam? I also have a small stock of new springs and followers to fix bad mags. My brother has a SIG 226 and cannot find any additional mags and he has only 4 mags for his gun. He is really searching for more mags but cannot find them.
    NRA Endowment Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links