Silent Tactical Reload & Reload with Retention

This is a discussion on Silent Tactical Reload & Reload with Retention within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks in advance for watching!...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Silent Tactical Reload & Reload with Retention

Silent Tactical Reload & Reload with Retention

Thanks in advance for watching!

2. Remove Ads

AOK
    Interesting concept. I've never had this covered in any firearm class taken.

My thoughts however... If I do a tac load it is going to be after I rain fire on an assailant and during downtime in a fight. I would think my several rounds over a few seconds will give away my location more than a couple clicks during my tac load. I can't think of a time where I could utilize this concept. Can you please elaborate a little?

Ummmmmmm..... yeah.....

I'm not trying to be critical... But.... During this entire operation your eyes were on the gun, and the operation is complicated enough that it requires the shooter look at what he's doing. My experience, and training is that it would be more tactically sound to look to your adversary rather then bury your vision in the gun. Just as your making moves it would be IMO foolish to assume your adversary is not. The other thing is speed... Speed is paramount in a reload while engaged... I know... you said after you've found cover, or during a lul in the fight... In the time it takes to do this silent reload your adversary could be on you... I'd say thats even likely. I know one Police Officer who lost his life that way. My last criticisim is a new or different reload technique will occupy muscle memory space, as well as brain memory space. Switching technique during a stressfull event the memories can become in conflict, or confusied and may cost some concentration to be switched from survival mode, to how did he do that again? mode...

Please dont consider me to be flaming your technique... It works. I'm just of the KISS school of gunfighting. Learn one technique... perfect it.... use it... when something new or better comes along evaluate it and if you like it... replace the old technique with the new one... Practice until it becomes second nature to you... and so on, and so on.
    Glock357 likes this.

Nice Mustache :)
    Glock357 likes this.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    During this entire operation your eyes were on the gun, and the operation is complicated enough that it requires the shooter look at what he's doing. My experience, and training is that it would be more tactically sound to look to your adversary rather then bury your vision in the gun. Just as your making moves it would be IMO foolish to assume your adversary is not. The other thing is speed... Speed is paramount in a reload while engaged... I know... you said after you've found cover, or during a lul in the fight... In the time it takes to do this silent reload your adversary could be on you... I'd say thats even likely.
    I'm not speaking for phoenix by any means. I'm not sure how he would actual execute this procedure when actually demonstrating in full speed. However, I have to say, I don't care what instructors are doing with their eyes when slowing showing a procedure in front of students. In addition, I have seen some instructors recommend looking down at your gun for a fraction of a second to make a clean mag change in your work space. To each his own.

You also mention to look to your assailant. I'm assuming you mean scanning for your assailant because if you look at or to your assailant it's really not a lull in the fight and not a good time for a tac load anyways.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Think on this discussion I'd have to go with Secret Spuk.

Could there be a time when this silent run could be of use? Maybe but I don't see it as a great value but there are lots of things out there that's good to have in ones tool box. But I have to question if they are of great enough value to ingrain them to reactionary action in a gunfight.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post
    Ya that looks like Cheech Marins brotha.

Thanks for your comment. Just another tool in the tool box. You may have fired rounds on the move and are in lets say another room now and you don't want other assailants to know your position. As you know, there aren't necessarily many positions of "cover" in a dwelling and bullets can penetrate walls. Since you have been moving and are in a new position (unbeknownst to your assailants) the noise associated with a tac reload can give your position away. Again,. it's another tool to have.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Interesting concept. I've never had this covered in any firearm class taken.

My thoughts however... If I do a tac load it is going to be after I rain fire on an assailant and during downtime in a fight. I would think my several rounds over a few seconds will give away my location more than a couple clicks during my tac load. I can't think of a time where I could utilize this concept. Can you please elaborate a little?

Thank you for your comment. I don't know how you can see my eyes as the camera is focusing on the technique. I rarely look at the gun even when executing an emergency reload. In fact, I don't think you should even look at your holster when re-holstering. I practice a lot and can do this technique almost as fast and effortlessly as a tactical reload. I was trying to do it very slowly and methodically to get the point across. It comes down to how much you are willing to train. It's another tool in the tool box. If you do not believe in tactical reloads that is fine...whatever works for YOU is the best method for you to deploy.

I do not construe any comment as "flaming". I appreciate you taking the time and commenting and making great points.

Here's my video doing a "tactical reload"...as you can see I maintain total situational awareness when doing it:

Quote Originally Posted by Secret Spuk View Post
    Ummmmmmm..... yeah.....

I'm not trying to be critical... But.... During this entire operation your eyes were on the gun, and the operation is complicated enough that it requires the shooter look at what he's doing. My experience, and training is that it would be more tactically sound to look to your adversary rather then bury your vision in the gun. Just as your making moves it would be IMO foolish to assume your adversary is not. The other thing is speed... Speed is paramount in a reload while engaged... I know... you said after you've found cover, or during a lul in the fight... In the time it takes to do this silent reload your adversary could be on you... I'd say thats even likely. I know one Police Officer who lost his life that way. My last criticisim is a new or different reload technique will occupy muscle memory space, as well as brain memory space. Switching technique during a stressfull event the memories can become in conflict, or confusied and may cost some concentration to be switched from survival mode, to how did he do that again? mode...

Please dont consider me to be flaming your technique... It works. I'm just of the KISS school of gunfighting. Learn one technique... perfect it.... use it... when something new or better comes along evaluate it and if you like it... replace the old technique with the new one... Practice until it becomes second nature to you... and so on, and so on.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    When the SHTF, I'll sacrifice noise during a tac-reload. If the BG cannot see me, I would want him to know I have another gift headed his way. My 1911 mags are flush with the bottom of the grip, nowhere to grab the mag to tug. Slamming it home assures me its seated.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

Thank you:)

Quote Originally Posted by Drgnfly View Post

I will post execution of this reload at regular speed shortly. Again, to clarify, I do not look at the handgun when doing a tactical reload. Thanks for your comment AOK.

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    I'm not speaking for phoenix by any means. I'm not sure how he would actual execute this procedure when actually demonstrating in full speed. However, I have to say, I don't care what instructors are doing with their eyes when slowing showing a procedure in front of students. In addition, I have seen some instructors recommend looking down at your gun for a fraction of a second to make a clean mag change in your work space. To each his own.

You also mention to look to your assailant. I'm assuming you mean scanning for your assailant because if you look at or to your assailant it's really not a lull in the fight and not a good time for a tac load anyways.

Training is a personal matter and you should do what works for YOU. There is no "only way" of doing things. Stick to what works for you and evolve. This is just another tool in the tool box.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Think on this discussion I'd have to go with Secret Spuk.

Could there be a time when this silent run could be of use? Maybe but I don't see it as a great value but there are lots of things out there that's good to have in ones tool box. But I have to question if they are of great enough value to ingrain them to reactionary action in a gunfight.

Cheech is much better looking than me:)

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    Ya that looks like Cheech Marins brotha.
    Drgnfly likes this.

See clarifications above. If that works for you...so be it. Thanks again for watching and commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rcher View Post
    When the SHTF, I'll sacrifice noise during a tac-reload. If the BG cannot see me, I would want him to know I have another gift headed his way. My 1911 mags are flush with the bottom of the grip, nowhere to grab the mag to tug. Slamming it home assures me its seated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links