New to CC looking for resources to learn tactics

This is a discussion on New to CC looking for resources to learn tactics within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have just applied for my CPL and have heard many say its all about mindset and training training training. I'm a college student that ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bill MO

Thread: New to CC looking for resources to learn tactics

I have just applied for my CPL and have heard many say its all about mindset and training training training. I'm a college student that doesn't have a lot of extra money to spend on high dollar training but would like to begin training drills to further my education. Anyone have websites or books thats will get me started on ideas? Or any great drills to start incorporating into my training?

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    tacman605 likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I have ordered and watched Personal Defense TV. You can get the series on DVD from Amazon or cheaper on ebay. It is good instruction from professionals. Start with season 1.

...Bill Jordan...No Second Place Winner...

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Tactics is the rest of your life after you've achieved proficiency in pistol marksmanship and mastery of basic manipulations. You need to be able to deliver your shots. Your manipulations need to be, as Jason Falla of Redback One said, able to be delivered "subconscious, cold and on-demand."

Start with the fundamentals of marksmanship. YouTube for free shooting tips. Excerpts from Magpul's "The Art of the Dynamic Handgun" DVD series, Travis Haley's Haley Strategic channel, surfssd's channel, DRM's Learn2ShootBetter YouTube Channel, the late Paul Gomez's awesome free videos, Next Level Training's videos - these are all excellent resources. Additionally, search the big competitive names: Vogel, Jarrett, Lathem, Burkett, etc.

Panteo Productions also hosts many excerpts of their various trainers' videos online, free.

From there, move on to basic manipulations. Many of the above channels will also show you how to robustly manipulate your pistol so as to clear common stoppages. Start with a safely cleared pistol using snap-caps/dummy rounds and go slow, using both hands, until you've mastered the techniques before moving to live-fire - this goes double when you move to single-hand, and then triple for support/reaction/"weak" hand manipulations.

Find a good local training school. MDFI is one of the better known resources in MI. I know - it's expensive, and so is ammo...but consider that this will get you live instruction from which you can model and practice diligently on your own.

Sponsored Links