AAR of a Gun Defense/Disarm Seminar (Long)

This is a discussion on AAR of a Gun Defense/Disarm Seminar (Long) within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I train in Krav Maga at a local gym here and today my gym had a 2 hour Gun Defense Seminar. This seminar was different ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958

Thread: AAR of a Gun Defense/Disarm Seminar (Long)

AAR of a Gun Defense/Disarm Seminar (Long)

I train in Krav Maga at a local gym here and today my gym had a 2 hour Gun Defense Seminar. This seminar was different primarily because it was open to anybody who registered and paid the class fee, not just Krav Maga members, who had a discounted fee. We had about 70 or so people signed up with a good bit who had never been to a Krav Maga class. I thought I would post on how the class went and what my thoughts were on the training.

For a little background, I started training in Krav Maga about a year ago for two reasons. First, I finally decided to take action with regard with the consensus that many on this forum have, that your carry weapon is a last line of defense and that you should have other tools for self defense. Second, it is an excellent workout and I was getting very tired going to a normal gym and running on a treadmill. Since the time I have begun taking Krav I was able to advance to the next level fairly quickly because I was willing to put in the effort. I would typically attend classes 4 times a week.

Since the seminar was open to all, we began with warm ups and the instructors spent the first quarter of the seminar going over a few basic Krav combatant techniques. It consisted of some basic punches, elbows, and knee strikes. They primarily focused on moves that would be required to perform the gun defenses that would be taught in the seminar. We spent more time on this than I would have liked too, but I understand that they had to insure that people who have never done Krav perform it correctly.

The gun disarming techniques we performed consisted of a BG pointing a gun (blue plastic Glock 21s) at you from in front of you and from behind you. The seminar then expanded on both to include defending a third party from the front and rear. They also covered how in a possible active shooter situation you could come up from behind the BG to disarm them.

The Krav Maga techniques try to keep the movements as simple as possible, with the thought that the more efficient the movements are the faster you will be. Many of the gun grab techniques also incorporate vertical movement with your hands, as our eyes are able to detect horizontal movement much easier than vertical movement. Therefore, one should never put there hands up like is done in the movies because that will force you to make horizontal movements with your hands.

Another aspect we learned involved muzzle control and making yourself as small a target as possible. It was important that as we performed the grab, that we were simultaneously “blading” our bodies. What that simply means is that we turned our bodies to the side out of line with the muzzle, which also presented the shooter with a smaller target. Because Krav wants the moves to be as efficient as possible the grabs also involve you getting the muzzle of the gun pointed in a safe direction or right back into the BG.

At the end of the seminar the lead instructor stressed that things (wallet, keys, etc) are not worth dying for and that disarming should be done if compliance does not work and the BG still comes at you. It was also stressed that spending 2 hours in a seminar does not necessarily mean that they are ready to stop an attack or disarm a BG. That proficiency in anything requires continuous training.

My thoughts on the Seminar: Having a seminar like this is a good way to get people interested in seeking out H2H training, as the topic was interesting enough to get people to come out on a Saturday afternoon. It was good to see many people take an interest in the seminar, as it shows that more and more people are trying to make themselves more responsible for their own self defense. The seminar had just as many women in the class as there were men. My hope is that the seminar will cause the new people to continue to seek out continuous training to become proficient. Even with all the experience that I have gained in the past year there are only a few disarm techniques that I’m comfortable with my proficiency in that I would at this point in time attempt. For anybody who is thinking of getting some type of defensive H2H training I would highly recommend it. It can be fun as well as a good way to get into and stay in shape. If you can find a seminar like the one I was in it can be a good way to try out that H2H system without having to commit. My only bit of advice for those interested is to do some research on the training you may attend to ensure that the focus is indeed on self defense and that the instructors do have the right experience or credentials with the type of training you are seeking.

2. Remove Ads

It is good you have gone to the next level. If nothing else you will have also learned the limitations of disarms.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Sounds like fun!

sounds like fun 13 years ago, sounds like a cardiac waiting to happen now
    sixgun likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

AOK
    Thank you for the AAR!

As you mentioned, hopefully this can be a gateway for new students to get into h2h.

I'm also glad this was brought up in the seminar.

"It was also stressed that spending 2 hours in a seminar does not necessarily mean that they are ready to stop an attack or disarm a BG. That proficiency in anything requires continuous training."

I started taking KM in 2011 and you are right, it takes a lot of quality training to become proficient in disarms.

You mentioned coming up from behind someone and taking away their gun. That's an interesting concept we never covered in our school. May I ask what technique is used to initially control the firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    You mentioned coming up from behind someone and taking away their gun. That's an interesting concept we never covered in our school. May I ask what technique is used to initially control the firearm?
    The way they showed us involved coming up from behind with your hands out in front much in the same way if you were defending against a bat coming from a overhead swing. The purpose for that was to allow your hands to trace the strong hand arm of the shooter. Once you get the shooter you use both hands to grab under the shooters wrist and under the barrel of the gun. You then perform the defense as if you were protecting a third party from behind. The instructors said this technique works because the shooter will have a tunnel vision and will primarily be focused shooting what is in front of them

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    The way they showed us involved coming up from behind with your hands out in front much in the same way if you were defending against a bat coming from a overhead swing. The purpose for that was to allow your hands to trace the strong hand arm of the shooter. Once you get the shooter you use both hands to grab under the shooters wrist and under the barrel of the gun. You then perform the defense as if you were protecting a third party from behind. The instructors said this technique works because the shooter will have a tunnel vision and will primarily be focused shooting what is in front of them
    Interesting. So as you're tracing down the arm you begin to redirect the muzzle that was initially pointing at the "victim"?

You are tracing down the arm primarily to help you stay focused on the grab. If its an active shooter situation the BGs arm probably won't be stationary. Once you establish the grip under the BGs wrist and under the barrel of the gun you then redirect the muzzle.

AOK
    Okay, I'm following you now. TY.

Links