Difficulty Reaching Mag Release - Page 2

Difficulty Reaching Mag Release

This is a discussion on Difficulty Reaching Mag Release within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recorded the following video this morning in response to CigarStix' thread. Hope this helps! Here's one way of doing it:...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Difficulty Reaching Mag Release

VIDEO: My Thumb Doesn't Reach The Magazine Release!

Recorded the following video this morning in response to CigarStix' thread. Hope this helps!

Here's one way of doing it:

JMB
    Good vid, maybe a demo on doing it strong-hand only would help too?

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JMB View Post
    IMO, relying on the support for this is very inefficient and will slow you down significantly.
    6 of one, half-dozen of the other.

One could also argue that breaking the master grip leads to inefficiencies (i.e. having to re-grip) as well as other concerns (i.e. less able to go hands-on).

And again, many schools/instructors pair the use of the support/reaction hand to punch the magazine release button with a proactive "rip and strip" of the spent magazine - this process again teeters on that balance of speed/efficiency, based on scenario.

Overall, know the options - but in the end, do what works best for you.

JMB
    6 of one, half-dozen of the other.
    One could also argue that breaking the master grip leads to inefficiencies (i.e. having to re-grip)

If you can't reach you can't reach and must adapt.

as well as other concerns (i.e. less able to go hands-on).
    I'd like to hear additional explanation on this. Seems to me that going hands on in the middle of a reload would be difficult at best and maybe you should have gone there to start rather than attempt the reload at all but I'm open minded enough to be interested in your take on the matter.

And again, many schools/instructors pair the use of the support/reaction hand to punch the magazine release button with a proactive "rip and strip" of the spent magazine - this process again teeters on that balance of speed/efficiency, based on scenario.
    I've been exposed to that during training but haven't adopted it as a standard procedure for me...OMMV

Overall, know the options - but in the end, do what works best for you. :smile

Good video.... I learned something that I can pass along. May check out more of their stuff. But I can't help wondering...Is that Cheech or some guy with a Lee's Press On Cheech mustache?
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

If you can't reach you can't reach and must adapt.
    That's why I said that it's 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other: you're exactly right - if the person can't make the physical reach, they'll need to either adapt a physically different technique or will need to physically modify their firearm to-accommodate (or both!).

Another option that I hadn't explored was the possibility of going to a different platform altogether: one with a central paddle release......

RE: the breaking of the dominant/master grip
    I'd like to hear additional explanation on this. Seems to me that going hands on in the middle of a reload would be difficult at best and maybe you should have gone there to start rather than attempt the reload at all but I'm open minded enough to be interested in your take on the matter.
    Again, you're exactly right. One would hope that you don't need to go hands-on during a reload - but the dynamics of an encounter is just that you never know. How many times have we broken-down an unscripted Force-on-Force run and went: "huh, that was weird that happened" or "gee, I've never seen that before," right?

At it's simplest, the gun can still be a blunt-force weapon: striking with it is never out of the question, and it certainly beats a punch or slap. If I can retain it and use it to my advantage instead of losing it when because my dominant grip on it has been weakened as I've broken it off to punch that mag-release, I can see the benefit of it.

I've been exposed to that during training but haven't adopted it as a standard procedure for me...OMMV

I'm just bringing up other options. In the interest of full-disclosure, I currently favor breaking my dominant grip (along with giving the gun a good "inertial" shake) for the reload, as it provides more consistency for me, overall (tactical reloads, single-handed reloads/manipulations) - and is also faster. For a while last year, I was running the two-hand rip-and-strip, particularly with my compact/sub-compact sized carry gun. That said, I may revisit the two-handed procedure as I train more towards dropping the slide using the slide stop/release with my dominant thumb...I plan to practice that more under stress this year, so I'll check back after I get a better feel for how that goes.

For me, it's about knowing that there's more out there, it's why I continue to take classes from different instructors - to pursue as much breadth as I would depth in the hopes that I can find what works best for me. Even the true BTDT instructors have their individual takes and preferences on techniques because, in the end, it's what worked better for them, in their times of need.

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    That's why I said that it's 6 of one and a half-dozen of the other: you're exactly right - if the person can't make the physical reach, they'll need to either adapt a physically different technique or will need to physically modify their firearm to-accommodate (or both!).

Another option that I hadn't explored was the possibility of going to a different platform altogether: one with a central paddle release......

RE: the breaking of the dominant/master grip

Again, you're exactly right. One would hope that you don't need to go hands-on during a reload - but the dynamics of an encounter is just that you never know. How many times have we broken-down an unscripted Force-on-Force run and went: "huh, that was weird that happened" or "gee, I've never seen that before," right?

At it's simplest, the gun can still be a blunt-force weapon: striking with it is never out of the question, and it certainly beats a punch or slap. If I can retain it and use it to my advantage instead of losing it when because my dominant grip on it has been weakened as I've broken it off to punch that mag-release, I can see the benefit of it.

I'm just bringing up other options. In the interest of full-disclosure, I currently favor breaking my dominant grip (along with giving the gun a good "inertial" shake) for the reload, as it provides more consistency for me, overall (tactical reloads, single-handed reloads/manipulations) - and is also faster. For a while last year, I was running the two-hand rip-and-strip, particularly with my compact/sub-compact sized carry gun. That said, I may revisit the two-handed procedure as I train more towards dropping the slide using the slide stop/release with my dominant thumb...I plan to practice that more under stress this year, so I'll check back after I get a better feel for how that goes.

For me, it's about knowing that there's more out there, it's why I continue to take classes from different instructors - to pursue as much breadth as I would depth in the hopes that I can find what works best for me. Even the true BTDT instructors have their individual takes and preferences on techniques because, in the end, it's what worked better for them, in their times of need.
    Yes instructors all seem to have their own "pet" techniques and if you are experienced enough in the basics, it is easier to decide if you think they have merit, however, for someone who does not have that depth of experience, I think it is better to master a way before cluttering the tool box...again, JMO.

Thanks for watching...okay.

Good vid, maybe a demo on doing it strong-hand only would help too?

Thanks for watching. Cheech is much better looking and a Press on Mustache looks much better:)

Quote Originally Posted by Munch View Post
    Good video.... I learned something that I can pass along. May check out more of their stuff. But I can't help wondering...Is that Cheech or some guy with a Lee's Press On Cheech mustache?

I talked about rotating gun in hand in th eother thread...

Yes instructors all seem to have their own "pet" techniques and if you are experienced enough in the basics, it is easier to decide if you think they have merit, however, for someone who does not have that depth of experience, I think it is better to master a way before cluttering the tool box...again, JMO.
    Definitely true and I heartily agree.

That's the same for everything. :) Not to clutter up this thread, but I always feel that it's good to give a solid example. Look at trigger control. We're taught as beginners to press-slack-wall-break-follow through-reset-repeat, to, as some say it, "ride the link." However, once the shooter is more advanced, we start getting into resetting under recoil, trigger "flipping" or "slapping" in order to get faster and faster splits.

It's all about having solid fundamentals - while understanding that the fundamentals is but the building blocks on the never-ending road to getting better and better. :)

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixTS View Post
    Thanks for watching. Cheech is much better looking and a Press on Mustache looks much better:)
    “Owning a handgun doesn’t make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.” Jeff Cooper

http://carniakcustom.com/

I had the same problem two weeks ago at Gunsite Academy. Had the gunsmith put in a weaker spring (at the instructor's suggestion). Problem solved.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links