More Adventures In Small Town Indiana

This is a discussion on More Adventures In Small Town Indiana within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ladies and Gents, I was almost attacked by a senior citizen a couple nights ago. I went in to see a friend of mine working ...

Thread: More Adventures In Small Town Indiana

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

More Adventures In Small Town Indiana

Ladies and Gents,

I was almost attacked by a senior citizen a couple nights ago.

I went in to see a friend of mine working in a convenience store. She's really more like an adopted sister, being the sister of my best friend, and married.

While sitting in one of the booths drinking coffee, an older guy I'm aquainted with joined me.

He started talking about his pocket knife, Bruce Lee, etc. He couldn't remember the form Lee used so I offered, "You mean Jeet Kun Do, or Wing Chung?" He started talking about real world martial arts, and being a first instructor I talked with him. He seemed genuinely interested.

Then he had a mood swing. I mean, boom, suddenly he's up out of his seat, hand in the pocket with the knife, and announcing that I wasn't going to demonstrate anything on him.

Well... I never said anything about demostrating anything to him, on him, or doing anything in public period.

I decided it was time to leave. I have a degrading knee and running is not the easiest thing in the world to do. I told my friend to call the police if the guy got too awful bad.

I got some milk and walked out. He followed me! I sized things up and I decided retreat wasn't really an option at that time and place (I won't go into detail why, just trust me on this one). I turned, assumed the position and braced myself to take a few cuts while not feeling good about fighting this old guy.

Well, he turned and went back inside. I reported to the police what happened, and they told me that they were aware of this guy and were watching him.

Last night I did some asking around and more talking to my friend. The old guy left when I got there - it seems my display of force made an impression. (I had not seen him or I would not have stopped.)

He's been in prison for

Holding a gun on someone, years back, demanding a ride home while drunk

and other non-violent felonies.

I've made up my mind that I'm going to get a restraining order. He is jealous of any and all women who talk to anyone when he's not included in the conversation. He carries a pocket knife with the blade OPEN IN HIS POCKET. He's volatile and becoming senile (my grandpa died of this and I recognize the signs). He'll go off, swearing, if anyone makes him mad, no matter who it is or where.

The restraining order won't, of course, deter him from any action he may take. It will just show that I'm in fear of him and should I have to defend myself I'll have something on record besides just the police report.

But...

He's old. I took him for 78 at first; I found out that he's a real old 65. He's diabetic. He's not in good shape and will never be again.

In short, he's not a threat except for weaponry.

I don't hurt women, children or old people. Or, I never thought I'd ever have to, and I haven't... yet, and don't want to.

So, I'm facing a bitter old man who is a felon with a weapon, and the police are doing nothing (which is, of course, their perogotive).

I could be in danger, or he could be bluffing. I doubt my friend is in danger. What it seems like is he believes every woman he meets is automatically in the "Harem of his Mind." In short, property.

He really reminds me of the badass we all knew in school, suddenly thrown into an old body.

I'm going to try to avoid the old fool, but the way he gets around town it's not going to be possible to completely avoid him.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Josh <><

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Reading your posts really has me concerned about what kind of town Wabash In is.
    My advice is don't do any ninja battles in a convenience store. Even though yoda and obi one are old farts, the could still kick some serious butt.

Maybe Easier Said Than Done...

but I would go out of my way to stay away from him. If I saw him in the store, I wouldn't go in...etc.
    I'd give this guy a wide berth...let him end up in jail because of someone else. You say the police are aware of him...he's going to go off (on someone)...it could make you look as though you went looing for trouble with this guy...
    Maybe you can't avoid him...but I would! He's a serious accident looking for a place to happen...you don't want to be that place.

Also, careful how you use the term old people...I'll be 60 very soon... ...just kidding, of course!

Sounds like all you'll need is 'slow motion martial arts'.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sixto, Wabash has gone waaaay downhill in the last 10 years. It was a nice place to live, and if you're in the country it still is for the most part. I'm stuck here for now because of my dad's cancer surgery at any rate. I've contemplated moving.

All,

The only reason I did not run the other night was because I had injured my already - injured knee.

Agreed, I'll stay away from him. It does seem however, that he's going over to my "adopted sister's" house. Her hubby is a martial artist as well as former military, and they have a loaded gun in every room of their home. They both know how to shoot - I taught my adopted sister before she even met the guy.

Thanks gents. I've never thought about an old dude scenario!

Josh <><

P.S. Ret, my grandpa is 85, diabetic, and his hear beats 4x per minute when he sleeps due to three heart attacks and two open heart surgeries. He still went camping until a couple years ago when he had to go on oxygen - and then he still tried it a couple times until he broke his hip. When I say "old," it's always relative sir! :D J.S.

Just an update: The man's in jail now after going after the wrong person, the female friend of mine.

She was not hurt, did exactly how I taught her, called the police, and had him taken away.

But I keep thinking about what if I had went ahead and dropped him. She would not have had to deal with him a month or two later, and he would have been going up against a 6'2" armed man (me) instead of an unarmed (except for a bit of karate and kickboxing I taught her) 5' girl who maybe weights 100lbs wet.

At least he's gone.

Josh <><

Hopefully he stays gone!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    One question that I would like to ask >>>

You stated that you don't hurt women,children,and old people. I'm not being critical of your personal decissions but would you please explain to me .....why not ?? ------

RSSZ,

I've been brought up to believe that women, children, and the invalid are for protecting, not hurting.

This is where I get the lecture on how much damage one of them can do. And while you're right, it just doesn't compute in my noggin.

However, training would likely kick in if in danger. In fact, it did. See above where I was ready to take him down.

Thanks,

Josh <><

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    10-4 your above Josh. Please don't think that I'm being critical of your personal decissions. I'm not.

Since I got out of "the buisness" I have come to respect life and the human being alot more. But having said this I still feel that a threat is a threat. No matter where it comes from or who it comes from.

I have, and will, handle ALL threats in the same manner. Without descriminating between race,age,religion,gender,etc. The threat is simply that. It is not a human being after becomeing a threat.

I will meet force with force. Afterwards I will not be happy or proud. I will however consider it a job well done. ---?---

While reading your post, you stated you didn't think your friend was in danger. However just by your discription of the guy I pinned him as being mentally unstable, and therefore capable of anything. If he is hanging around the store he probably had some attraction to your friend, in any case in his mental state he was a threat to soceity. Don't count on him being in jail for long, not trying to scare you, but there is no telling what this guy is planning in his mixed up mind while he sits in a jail cell. Can your friend carry at work? I would not want my wife working in the store with this nut on the loose. I too live in a small town and we have our town loonies, most are not a threat, but I still stay clear of them.
    I too was taught never to hit a woman or the elderly, however we live in a world where small children think nothing of taking another life. It doesn't take much to pull a trigger, a small child or elderly woman are all capable of doing so. I would never take any pleasure in taking action against anybody but a threat is a threat no matter the package that is delivering it. I would contact the local LE and find out when this guy is scheduled to be released.
    Be safe.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    Ladies and Gents,

Holding a gun on someone, years back, demanding a ride home while drunk

and other non-violent felonies.

Josh <><
    Holding a gun on someone is considered non-violent?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua M. Smith View Post
    RSSZ,

I've been brought up to believe that women, children, and the invalid are for protecting, not hurting.
    I'm not chiming in just to criticize, but to open up a viable point:
    Everyone needs to be evaluated individually.
    I have read plenty about WOMEN violent criminals, and CHILDREN violent criminals -- people who have maimed and/or killed other people. I don't feel that it is valid to write off women, children, or old people as though they cannot present a danger to me. They most surely can. Adult men are not the only ones capable of ill intent, treachery, or violence. Why on earth would we hold on to outdated, Victorian-like notions when we have real-world, modern news telling us how drastically times have changed?

This is where I get the lecture on how much damage one of them can do. And while you're right, it just doesn't compute in my noggin.
    Keep working at it, then. Don't let outmoded beliefs be your undoing.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Holding a gun on someone is considered non-violent?

I was wondering about that one, myself.
    Time to start a new thread.

Links