Is it safe to practice without my eyeglasses?

This is a discussion on Is it safe to practice without my eyeglasses? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A range safety question for anyone who might know- I like to practice left eye, right eye, left hand, right hand, because I never know ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Is it safe to practice without my eyeglasses?

Is it safe to practice without my eyeglasses?

A range safety question for anyone who might know- I like to practice left eye, right eye, left hand, right hand, because I never know which one of those might be injured if I get into trouble. Best to be able to do it with either hand/eye and combination.

But I also wear glasses, strong enough that I wouldn't even think of trying to drive without them. And I figure, if I'm ever in trouble at very close range odds are good my glasses will have already been knocked off.

So do you think it's safe to try a target at 7 yards with my glasses off, that I can barely see? Or maybe that's not a good idea at a busy indoor range.

2. Remove Ads

First, if you do try without your prescription glasses make sure you still use safety glasses. Most ranges have shorter distances than 7 yards available. Start at 3 and if you feel confident in that go to 5 and stop when you feel you're not going to be safe.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

What he said
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    First, if you do try without your prescription glasses make sure you still use safety glasses. Most ranges have shorter distances than 7 yards available. Start at 3 and if you feel confident in that go to 5 and stop when you feel you're not going to be safe.
    Having been hit by a piece of jacket in the face from a miss-timed revolver I cannot stress enough the importance of safety glasses.
    pittypat21 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Like the others have said, use non-prescription safety glasses.

NEVER practice without eye-protection.

Again as the more experienced shooters here have cited, there's plenty of opportunities for debris to come at your eyes when you're at the range. Ejected spent cases, deflected fragments of both the bullet as well as even the backstop, powder/carbon from the gun, etc. - these are just a few of the most common ways you can be injured.

Becoming permanently blinded by debris when you're shooting to save your life or that of a loved-ones'? Yes, that's a risk that's very reasonable.

But losing the same during practice?

Why don't we just practice Force-on-Force with live ammo? Why don't we use real knives instead of trainers when we work our knife skills? Why don't we go all-out when we're sparring against our class partners? You get the idea.
    BamaT likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

This right here... practicing without your glasses is very important as you mentioned. wear regular safety glasses and get a feel for it at close range
    HAGJewels likes this.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

I agree and disagree. Sure you have that rare chance of catching some brass in the eye (and I've seen it happen). You should also practice for realistic situations and that may very well include you not having your glasses on. Personally I don't use glasses (luckily I don't shoot at public ranges either). I hate them and they fog up on me almost instantly and yes I use the anti fog stuff as well and that just gives me about 15 minutes before the fogging begins.

Your idea about practicing with alternating eyes and both eyes is an excellent idea. Bigger emphasis on both eyes open while aiming so you keep your field of vision.

Have you ever thought of wearing contacts with your shooting glasses?

If you are not wearing your glasses...how do you positively identify your target? I hear what you are saying in regards to practice, but in reality, think how you PID your target and not hit a friendly...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Bela, yes I think it's worth wearing eye protection for all training involving firing. As for your corrective glasses, certainly do so for the bulk of your shooting training. But be sure to not neglect to work through how you perform without your corrective glasses, as well. It's entirely likely you'll find that capability useful, should the time arise when you're forced to quickly bring your gun to bear in a deadly situation. I would suggest working within your limitations. If that means you can't distinguish between an assailant and a friendly at 7yds, then IMO it's worth knowing where those limitations are and learning how to deal with a situation effectively because of that.

Evaluate various distances with your glasses, various distances without. If you can't distinguish a target amongst friendlies, then seek alternatives (ie, cover until you can deal with the assailant, or simply bugging out). As with anyone, it would be well worth working through these situations in a force-on-force situation (ie, training blades, "blue" guns, Airsoft) where you can simulate the various conditions. Always good training, if done right.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 17th, 2013 at 08:24 AM. Reason: clarification -- with/without corrective glasses, but always with eye protection
    BamaT likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Eye and ear protection always. At our club some have been hit by shards of shrapnel standing way back. so it is very important to at least wear safety glasses and ear muffs or plugs. Stay safe and carry on.

Always eye protection and Ear Protection along with wearing a Hat! This greatly reduces hot brass down the front of the shirt. I have no issue with this. The only issue with any shooting problem is when you do it in public, you will not have ear protection and maybe no eye protection with you. That will be an eye and ear opening experience for you!
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Senior Member Array BigCityChief's Avatar

Always wear eye protection

Quote Originally Posted by BelaOkmyx View Post
    A range safety question for anyone who might know- I like to practice left eye, right eye, left hand, right hand, because I never know which one of those might be injured if I get into trouble. Best to be able to do it with either hand/eye and combination.

But I also wear glasses, strong enough that I wouldn't even think of trying to drive without them. And I figure, if I'm ever in trouble at very close range odds are good my glasses will have already been knocked off.

So do you think it's safe to try a target at 7 yards with my glasses off, that I can barely see? Or maybe that's not a good idea at a busy indoor range.
    As others have said, ALWAYS wear eye protection when shooting. With respect to your prescription lenses and your concern they might be knocked off in a self defense scenario, have you ever considered using contact lenses?

Now this is just my opinion, but if you begin to 'point shoot'...only using the front sight...glasses won't make that much of a difference unless you have a white cane.

Let me clarify...you won't need reading glasses...just plain safety glasses w/o corrections.
    msgt/ret and Blue Thunder like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

As everybody else said, wear safety glasses.

But your idea is neat. I've heard of people practicing with blacked-out goggles to simulate having to fire in a dark room. I've done some drawing with an unloaded gun (except for a bore sight I use sometimes) to see where I end up and it's helped me refine my stance and presentation of my gun. I'm to the point now that if I set my feet before I close my eyes and draw I end up within a 3-5 inch square at 5 yards at least 90% of the time. Not that this will be helpful in a real encounter except in that it has helped me in consistency with the aforementioned points.

Depends where you are. I shoot with out mine . I may not have them on at night or if knocked to the ground.
    Your call do what you think is right, long as you do not endanger anyone one else.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links