Retraining with a safety

Retraining with a safety

This is a discussion on Retraining with a safety within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of the reasons I own a Glock is that I have learned that simpler is better. I want to draw my weapon and shoot. ...

Thread: Retraining with a safety

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Retraining with a safety

One of the reasons I own a Glock is that I have learned that simpler is better. I want to draw my weapon and shoot. No real thinking involved. If it doesn't shoot, I do the malfunction drill and if that doesn't work I throw the gun at the perp. (Hey, it works in the old time movies!! )

I recently took a defensive rifle class. Obviously the AR15 has a safety and we used it the whole class. The rifle was on "safe" unless we raised it and aimed it at a bad guy.

During the drills, I would raise my rifle, aim and pull the trigger but nothing happened. I performed the malfunction drill and still nothing happened. Then I realized that I did not disengage the safety. This is a training issue, I know, but it makes sense to train the same way with your handgun as you do with a rifle. And under stress, things can go south real real fast.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

JD
    Administrator

Re: Retraining with a safety

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post

This is a training issue, I know, but it makes sense to train the same way with your handgun as you do with a rifle. And under stress, things can go south real real fast.
    So...

Are you saying that you're going to run the rifle safety off? That would be ill advised

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

Distinguished Member Array Rcher's Avatar
    Developing "muscle memory" is the key to what you describe as "thinking". The more you shoot a particular weapon, the more familiar you become with it. We build muscle memory so when the SHTF, thinking is not even an option. I have many different firearms and all but one have safeties. Even with that one, muscle memory moves my thumb and clicks off the imaginary safety. I've been shooting guns for over 40 yrs, that probably has a lot to do with it.
    "Government is not the solution to our problem; government IS the problem". - Ronald Reagan 1981

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    So...

Are you saying that you're going to run the rifle safety off? That would be ill advised
    I sent a letter off to Glock asking them to redesign the AR15 without a safety.

No I am not saying that at all. I just need to develop that muscle memory as Rcher stated. But having a firearm with a safety and without a safety does cause confusion.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Lead Moderator
    Once you shoot your rifle enough it will come naturally . I have no issues between my 1911 , Walther PPS and my AR. As said muscle memory is the key.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links