Some shooting advice....advice and constructive criticism welcome

This is a discussion on Some shooting advice....advice and constructive criticism welcome within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by RookWV Excellent advice from all!! I think I'm going to talk to some state troopers I know and see if they can ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Some shooting advice....advice and constructive criticism welcome

Quote Originally Posted by RookWV View Post
    Excellent advice from all!!

I think I'm going to talk to some state troopers I know and see if they can help me as well (mom is a SP dispatcher so I have an inside track).

I've looked for some local training but it doesn't seem that there many options in that arena. No nearby IDPA unfortunately.

Again, thanks to all!!
    See if someone can put you in contact with a SP firearm instructor. They teach regularly, and most would be happy to help a ccw citizen learn the right way to do things, it makes their job easier in the long run. Also, some people use bad habits effectively, but that doesnt make it right. Find someone who is certified ( NRA etc) and has practical experience with what they teach( competition shooting, LEO, etc). Just because someone shoots well does not mean they can teach you or evaluate you and know what you are doing wrong and how to fix it. Personal situation: I learned to shoot using the teacup method..... fast forward 20 yrs.... I recieved proper instruction ( LEO Academy ) and my world changed. Thumbs forward, two hands, eyes open.... groups shrank, shot faster, proficiency inreased.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

JMB

I think I'm going to talk to some state troopers I know and see if they can help me as well (mom is a SP dispatcher so I have an inside track).

I've looked for some local training but it doesn't seem that there many options in that arena. No nearby IDPA unfortunately.

Again, thanks to all!!
    You might have better luck looking up the nearest NRA basic pistol instructor...you can find them on the NRA web site.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    See if someone can put you in contact with a SP firearm instructor. They teach regularly, and most would be happy to help a ccw citizen learn the right way to do things, it makes their job easier in the long run. Also, some people use bad habits effectively, but that doesnt make it right. Find someone who is certified ( NRA etc) and has practical experience with what they teach( competition shooting, LEO, etc). Just because someone shoots well does not mean they can teach you or evaluate you and know what you are doing wrong and how to fix it. Personal situation: I learned to shoot using the teacup method..... fast forward 20 yrs.... I recieved proper instruction ( LEO Academy ) and my world changed. Thumbs forward, two hands, eyes open.... groups shrank, shot faster, proficiency inreased.
    ^ This.

Just because someone carries a gun for a living doesn't mean that they can shoot. Just because they can punch paper static doesn't mean that they'll be able to hit anything more than air, dynamic. Just because they can shoot well doesn't mean that they can effectively transfer that skill to YOU.

In all other forms of athletic endeavor, one-on-one instruction is commonplace at the tip of the spear. Somehow, when it comes to "gun training," this idea got lost: and there's really no reason for this loss. It's a tremendously valuable resource.

Today's political climate has driven the cost of ammo through the roof. Combine this with the crowds at the shooting range, it all means that your cost of practice is high. Certainly, it's far from impossible for anyone to teach themselves how to shoot, particularly given the many free resources we have readily available to us today, much thanks to the Internet, but you'll need to really sit down and analyze whether that cost is actually worth it - or if it may not be better for you to simply undertake some direct instruction, be it one-on-one or small-group.

Hello RookWV, If that was your first trip to the range, you should be proud. I think the advice that JMB gave you is good advice. Shoot stright, shoot often. Be safe...
    I Love Guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutz View Post
    Use the first finger joint.
    This. I shot low and left with my M&P 9c until I started using the first joint of my trigger finger.

Practice dry firing for at least half an hour or so a day (I usually dry fire until my hand starts cramping) and you will start seeing improvement. Also, kudos for taking video of yourself shooting. That is a great way to diagnose bad habits you may not immediately see while at the range. There are thousands of videos on YouTube related to trigger control, grip, and stance, which all are important. Lastly, take classes!

Did you try hopping on your left foot while rubbing the top of your head counter clockwise with your off hand
    ruso and RookWV like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

JMB

Again, thanks to all!!
    Hope you'll come back and let us know how it works out for you.

Oh, I will....just waiting on a shipment of ammo to arrive first.

I appreciate the kind words and sage advice from all...to be honest, I was a bit scared to post a video of me shooting on a gun forum.

Thanks!

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Did you try hopping on your left foot while rubbing the top of your head counter clockwise with your off hand
    It didn't help me one bit.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links