Do you have a favorite class?

This is a discussion on Do you have a favorite class? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking to do more training and am wondering about your experiences. What class do you feel you got the most out of and why? I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Do you have a favorite class?

Looking to do more training and am wondering about your experiences. What class do you feel you got the most out of and why? I have had my gun for about 2 months and have been going to the range once a week, just learning my gun and and getting the feel for it. My hands don't tremble anymore when I handle it which is the best! (Insert "That's what she said" joke here!) But in all seriousness, I know I have much to learn.

I want to be confident that if faced with a situation, I could get over the shakes and do what I had to do to protect myself. So if there's a class that really made an impression or one you felt was really valuable, I would like to hear about it.

BTW, I love this site. What a wealth of information from an exceptional collection of human beings!
    NRA Life Member

If you haven't already, I'd highly recommend that you check into Cornered Cat | If you have to fight, fight like a cornered cat.

Kathy Jackson is a nationally known firearms trainer for women. You can check the "classes" tab on the website to look for a class in your area.

Yes......the US military was the best class I ever took. Thank you taxpayers.
    DJC7 and NCSoxFan like this.

Haven't taken any real training classes yet but I discovered this place....and it's just up the road from me. A bit of a haul from KY unless you're near the state lines.

Practical Firearms Training - Pat Goodale

I'll be looking into this for certain.

Beyond a doubt, Massad Ayoob's "LFI-1" course was the best training I've had. It was directed more toward understanding the when to use lethal force and the consequences thereof than it was a shooting course, although there was range time and a live fire qualification required. It's 40 hours of pretty intense training that might make your head spin, but when you're done your mind will be made up about using lethal force. The course now survives as MAG-40, and Mas offers it around the country. Look up "Massad Ayoob Group" and check the schedule for course offerings near you.
    WonderBra likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauerpuss View Post
    Looking to do more training and am wondering about your experiences. What class do you feel you got the most out of and why? I have had my gun for about 2 months and have been going to the range once a week, just learning my gun and and getting the feel for it. My hands don't tremble anymore when I handle it which is the best! (Insert "That's what she said" joke here!) But in all seriousness, I know I have much to learn.

I want to be confident that if faced with a situation, I could get over the shakes and do what I had to do to protect myself. So if there's a class that really made an impression or one you felt was really valuable, I would like to hear about it.

BTW, I love this site. What a wealth of information from an exceptional collection of human beings!
    Every class I have taken here has been top notch:
    Home ? Tactical Defense Institute - Tactical, Firearms Training, pistol, rifle, shotgun
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Hello SP and welcome.

You will find that there are two basic types of schools, generally speaking. First are those that teach firearms fundamentals, safety and the basics then there are those that teach actual fighting with a firearm.

For those new to firearms organized classes can be somewhat intimidating. All the places mentioned are good places to start. Whenever I get back home one of the main classes I take is a basic fighting firearm class, pistol, rifle or whatever just to reinforce the fundamentals for me. Advanced shooters are simply those that can perform the basics/fundamentals faster.

I had to laugh at your comment.

What a wealth of information from an exceptional collection of human beings!
    I don't know about exceptional, "special" may be a better word for some of us.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Hello SP and welcome.

You will find that there are two basic types of schools, generally speaking. First are those that teach firearms fundamentals, safety and the basics then there are those that teach actual fighting with a firearm.

For those new to firearms organized classes can be somewhat intimidating. All the places mentioned are good places to start. Whenever I get back home one of the main classes I take is a basic fighting firearm class, pistol, rifle or whatever just to reinforce the fundamentals for me. Advanced shooters are simply those that can perform the basics/fundamentals faster.

I had to laugh at your comment.

I don't know about exceptional, "special" may be a better word for some of us.

I will add a +1 to Tac's post.

For those just starting their learning with guns most any training from well known trainer will give you what you need which is fundamentals. Advanced training in most schools will only teach you to shoot a tighter group with a little more speed. But in the reactive gunfight, CCer's find themselves in, will do little to protect the GG. Yes there is those who only have that training who win the fight but I see it not the best time and money spent training.

Find a school that trains you to fight a gunfight not to just shoot paper bullseyes and small groups. In a reactive gunfight you don't have time to shot small groups. You start behind in the fight and have to make up time to where you are leading the fight, not the BG. Draw speed and small group shooting alone does not give you the edge needed.

For that training I found Suarez International and liked what I found. There are those who don't but I do. There are other places out there but I can say what or how the train their students. Suarez has training for the beginner to the advanced gunfighter in both pistol and rifle as well as some knife training.

Here is links to Suarez training classes:

Suarez International USA, Inc.

And the link to their forum site where is there lots of good post on whats needed to win gunfights.

Warrior Talk Forums

Enjoy your journey with your gun and training in it's use. Good advice now, as a new gun owner if there is a need to pull the gun on someone be ready to use it, no matter what your training is. The gun by it's self is not a winning factor. While some BGs will run at the sight of a gun there are those who will not. If you pull the gun on someone be ready to pull the trigger. Once the gun comes into the fight the time for talking is over, it's time only for action.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    There is a very good training facility in Alderson WV. Practical Firearms Training, you can look it up on the web. Owner and head instructor Pat Goodale has a fine staff of instructors and his classes are very well run and very helpful. It is not a target shooting school , they focus on combat skills. They have many levels of classes for handgun so you will start at a defensive handgun one, and progress through two, advanced handgun, CQB, vehicle based courses. It is well worth the trip, there are accomodations nearby. Most of these guys are ex Marines and LEO and train military, police, swat teams from other Countries as well as civilians.If you can , give them a shot, you will not be disappointed.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Yes......the US military was the best class I ever took. Thank you taxpayers.
    Yes, my marksmanship training, Recondo training, and jungle warfare training in Panama has prepared me for life in one of the big US cities such as Chicago.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
    Yes, my marksmanship training, Recondo training, and jungle warfare training in Panama has prepared me for life in one of the big US cities such as Chicago.

Sarcasm??? :-/

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Beyond a doubt, Massad Ayoob's "LFI-1" course was the best training I've had. It was directed more toward understanding the when to use lethal force and the consequences thereof than it was a shooting course, although there was range time and a live fire qualification required.
    Agreed. It's the one course anyone who is going to carry a firearm should take, to help understand such things. If unable to take this course, definitely acquire a copy of the book In The Gravest Extreme, which covers some of what the course does.

Of course, I've done a number of Tactical, Close Quarters and Advanced Handgun type courses, and there's no replacement for a few high-intensity versions of those, from as many different quality instructors as you're able to do. Numerous good ones exist across the country. Consider Gunsite, Thunder Ranch (TX or OR), Suarez International, as well as a number of quality regional (or somewhat lesser-known) training spots such as Tactical Defense Institute (OH), Firearms Academy of Seattle, etc.

Vary it, if you're serious. As others have suggested, there's firearm handling/accuracy skills and there's learning to fight with a weapon. The two aren't the same. You need both. But short-changing your training by forgetting about the latter can get you killed.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

SauerPuss, you are not too far from a pretty good (although some what controversial) training school.

James Yeager's Tactical Response
    http://www.tacticalresponse.com/
    In Camden, TN (they travel too)

James is a very vocal and opinionated guy. Some people can't handle his approach, but if you can... There's no doubt that Tactical Response's training is top-notch.
    First Sgt likes this.

Being born and raised in the inner city has been the best class for me. :)

How much do you want to spend and how far do you want to travel?

Thunder Ranch® Oregon & Thunder Ranch® Texas

http://www.gunsite.com/main/
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920–2006)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links