NRA Personal protection in the home class

This is a discussion on NRA Personal protection in the home class within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I took this class last sunday.It was pretty good.Alot of the info was just backing up stuff I already knew,but some stuff was new to ...

Thread: NRA Personal protection in the home class

I took this class last sunday.It was pretty good.Alot of the info was just backing up stuff I already knew,but some stuff was new to me.It was an 8 hour class,with a shooting portion to be done next weekend.There was 13 people(2 ladies)..while the focas was "in the home" the teacher did talk quite a bit about CCW in public..tactics and basic common scence.The last 1 hour was a lawyer talking about what to do if you shoot someone in your home...and he gave out his card(which was worth it right there)All in all I'm glad I took it and would recommend it.I'll post again after I do the shooting part next sunday..
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Assistant Administrator
    I have taught that Tony and it does cover some quite good ground - there will soon be the new version available and I need to go get my cert' on that.

It will be much more CCW oriented - and not before time.

The legal aspect is an important one for most folks - and pretty well all the people I had benefitted a lot from the range time - seeing as most had only really been thru basic Pistol and not done a whole lotta shooting.

Good many tho needed some serious holster upgrades!!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

cj
    That was the class I took for Colorado CCW. We had a deputy talk instead of a lawyer (I believe the requirement was that a portion be taught by either a lawyer or a law enforcement officer).

Overall, a great introduction, and yes, my instructor DID have some people not pass the course.

I must say, I'm torn...if someone in a controlled range environment with an instructor right behind them is deemed unsafe in handling a weapon, I wonder about other people who don't take a course and think Hollywood shows what it's really like, so they buy a firearm and start carrying it...I hate to require a class for a CCW, but in some cases, I'm happier for it.

He also mentioned a more practical course that I think P95 is referring to. Sounds like it should be a great one too!

VIP Member
    Yep, it's a good course and the Personal Protection Outside the Home will be out soon. It is geared for CCW. I will hopefully be picking up the outside the home version in two weeks when I attend a Training Counselor session put on by the guys primarily resposible for developing the outside the home course. Should be interesting and no doubt challenging. I received some of my NRA Instructor ratings from the same guys and they are very good at what they do, so I'm looking forward to it.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Administrator
    I'll endorse it as a good class too. I have taught a few, although I've stopped doing NRA classes a few years ago. As P95 pointed out, I'm sure it has changed and it does vary from instructor to instructor. The material that the NRA put out for the class was good solid basic info.

Ex Member Array Roundeyesamurai's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    I must say, I'm torn...if someone in a controlled range environment with an instructor right behind them is deemed unsafe in handling a weapon, I wonder about other people who don't take a course and think Hollywood shows what it's really like, so they buy a firearm and start carrying it...I hate to require a class for a CCW, but in some cases, I'm happier for it.
    I'd look at it this way: If demonstrating responsibility via training has the effect of weeding out the small percentage of people who really shouldn't be armed, because they're just plain irresponsible, then it benefits everyone. Likewise if it brings a modicum of knowledge to those who would otherwise be ignorant, and make ignorant mistakes with a firearm (which is a hazard to everyone around them).

Bear in mind also, that one of the grounds used for lawsuit against a person who uses a firearm in self-defense is negligence. If everyone with a license to carry has been trained and signed off by an qualified instructor, there's really very little room to make such a negligence argument. Score one for the good guys.

Personally, I'm far more worried by the folks who are offended by the idea of having to go to a training class. How many times have we heard the words "I know what I'm doing" come out of the mouth of a complete imbecile, frequently with disastrous consequences?

Besides, mandatory training isn't in conflict with the Second Amendment- remember the first phrase: "A well-regulated (i.e. "well-trained") militia...".

I'm not a big fan of gun control statutes by any stretch of the imagination, but mandatory training would be one of the few exceptions. I see it as being completely reasonable, and beneficial for all parties.

However, if a training requirement starts to be used in a restrictive fashion (excessive number of hours required, an unreasonably difficult qualification ala the pre-Voting Rights Act "literacy test", etc.), that's a different story altogether.

Did the shooting portion on sunday...it was good...point shooting,use of cover...some tactics..about 125 rounds.I used a revolver,the other 2 guys in my group used autos(a sig and a Baretta)Some stuff,like the classroom part,I knew,and some was new.I can't say I "needed" the shooting part,but it was fun.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

Chris..... that is a "mean looking chicken" in your advar pix!!

Back to subject...... I have yet found a NRA course here in the Vegas area. I did get a "NRA Personal Protection Course" certificate when I completed my CCW class, but havent heard of any other classes given by anyone in the area. Even looking on the NRA site for class in this area, of which, nil were found. I guess I'll have to join a shooting club which does IDPA, etc., to get further training??

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - ''chicken'' - LOL. Well John it has had several labels - many not too flattering - but note the eyes!!!! They are watching you

Joining a club that does IDPA would be a good idea - altho it is in part a ''game'' it does I find help hone general gun handling skills and proficiency.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Links