First Professional Training Class - Suarez

This is a discussion on First Professional Training Class - Suarez within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What can I say? It scares the hell out of me that there are people out there carrying guns, who have never and will never ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By CigarStix
  • 1 Post By oneshot
  • 2 Post By tacman605

Thread: First Professional Training Class - Suarez

What can I say? It scares the hell out of me that there are people out there carrying guns, who have never and will never take a handgun training course. Let's put the shooting skills aside for a moment; people are taking CHL classes in record numbers without ANY gun handling instruction at all. My personal feeling is that if you feel the need to carry a gun, you should have the responsibility to learn how to use it as a weapon, safely. Of course, I know that if you are reading this, I'm preaching to the choir. I just had to vent.

Ok, back to my first professional training class. It was great. Learning the basics, building on the fundamentals, seeing almost immediate improvement in not only my accuracy, but my preparation, confidence and mind-set. There were 12 guys in my class, including all levels of experience, and ALL showed improvement after just two days.

My instructor was Jon Payne, with Suarez International. Jon was a great teacher, who demonstrated remarkable patience with every question and every drill. Jon was also sympathetic to the ongoing ammo issue and we did quite a bit of dry fire drills to keep the shot count down. Not only was Jon a proficient instructor, he could SHOOT! Suarez is lucky to have him.

Suarez International - Highly Recommended
    JD, Bill MO, tacman605 and 1 others like this.
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I agree completely. As a Military veteran, LEO, lifelong shooter etc I have been well trained. However, shooting classes have become very expensive for even a basics class, let alone and advanced tactics class. Some people just do not have the funds to spare to take a class unfortunately. I wish indiana would make a 2 day block of instruction mandatory for a CC permit.
    God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

Glad it was a true "learning experience", not just a shooting experience. Go back over the lessons, stay sharp.

dan

At the Tactical Conference and Polite Society Match last weekend in Memphis one of the instructors gave the following stats. Only about 20% of people that own Pistols have a CCW permit. Of those only about 1-2% have had any Formal Training at a Get Acquainted class or a Safety Class or the class required to get the CCW. Only about 2-3% of those have had Formal Training towards Gun Fighting like Suarez and others teach. Yes, it is very scary as most think buy the gun, get the ammo, go to the range to see how it shoots and I am ready to CCW. Every attendee, instructors, and range personnel were armed as this is a Hot Range where the Conference was held. There were a lot of local police, federal officers, marshalls and sheriffs in attendance also.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

VIP Member
    Not to pick a fight or anything, but they didn't have "defensive gun training classes" back in the 1700's 1800's and early 1900's.

And a lot of the good guys prevailed.
    OD* likes this.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    Not to pick a fight or anything, but they didn't have "defensive gun training classes" back in the 1700's 1800's and early 1900's.

And a lot did not! Those who did where lucky that they learned before they died. Or they found someone to teach them the ropes and that was pretty much you had to know the right person. Most who knew the tactics needed to live didn't spread it around much because doing so could be what got you killed in those days.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

JMB
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post

I am not aware that they kept statistics on such things back then either, so it might be unknown how "they" fared.

VIP Member
    Cigarstix, good for you. Keep it up as time and finances allow.

And a lot of the good guys prevailed

Oneshot you are correct but keep in mind a firearm back then was a tool used in daily life. No there were no training classes but your skill with a firearm was passed, hopefully, from generation. There were also no Supercenter WalMarts or chain restaurants. You hunted for food, dispatched predators, four and two legged, and LE was/may be not existent in your region. A firearm was looked upon differently back then as compared to now.
    oneshot and Hoganbeg like this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Senior Member Array Matthew Temkin's Avatar
    I teach at two ranges in N.Y.C. and am amazed at the lack of training exhibited by so many permit holders.
    Just last month a medical doctor with a full carry let a round off into a table that is used for cleaning.
    it is sad that the N.Y.P.D. forces NY'ers to jump through hoops to get even a premise permit, yet requires no training whatsoever.
    I am sure that many gun owners throughout the country also lack even basic training in the use of firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarStix View Post
    What can I say? It scares the hell out of me that there are people out there carrying guns, who have never and will never take a handgun training course. Let's put the shooting skills aside for a moment; people are taking CHL classes in record numbers without ANY gun handling instruction at all. My personal feeling is that if you feel the need to carry a gun, you should have the responsibility to learn how to use it as a weapon, safely. Of course, I know that if you are reading this, I'm preaching to the choir. I just had to vent.

Ok, back to my first professional training class. It was great. Learning the basics, building on the fundamentals, seeing almost immediate improvement in not only my accuracy, but my preparation, confidence and mind-set. There were 12 guys in my class, including all levels of experience, and ALL showed improvement after just two days.

My instructor was Jon Payne, with Suarez International. Jon was a great teacher, who demonstrated remarkable patience with every question and every drill. Jon was also sympathetic to the ongoing ammo issue and we did quite a bit of dry fire drills to keep the shot count down. Not only was Jon a proficient instructor, he could SHOOT! Suarez is lucky to have him.

Suarez International - Highly Recommended
    CigarStix, thank you for the kind words. The group of men in attendance were a pleasure to work with. I hope to see you again this month. If you really liked what we did last March you'll love what we're doing in May.

Thanks again,
    Jon Payne

Quote Originally Posted by skipper1969 View Post
    CigarStix, thank you for the kind words. The group of men in attendance were a pleasure to work with. I hope to see you again this month. If you really liked what we did last March you'll love what we're doing in May.

Thanks again,
    Jon Payne
    Thanks Jon. Would love to, just don't have the funds right now. I'll catch another class sometime.

Brad
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

I have taken a few Suarez courses and have learned a lot every time. I also strongly recommend them.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Sponsored Links