I'm DONE!

This is a discussion on I'm DONE! within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've watched just about every video I could get my hands on, adjusted and tweaked my grip every which way from sunday and finally, FINALLY ...

Thread: I'm DONE!

I'm DONE!

I've watched just about every video I could get my hands on, adjusted and tweaked my grip every which way from sunday and finally, FINALLY decided: this 'self taught' method may work for some activities, but NOT this one ... SO,

I now live in Northern Virginia.

I am looking to spend 2 - 3 days handgun training with a PROFESSIONAL who can help me get a grip. I want to run my gun, not have the gun run me ... I want to have GREAT days at the range and so-so days at the range and, in the end, if it ever really counts, I want to know I have the training and skill set neccessary to get the job done ...

SO, if there are any NOVA members that would recommend a top-level professional that is a GOOD teacher, please, let me know their information.

Thank you kindly,

SG

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Awesome! I've been a fan of his technique since seeing his promo video and reading his comments on some of the boards. Looks like I need look no further.

May I ask: Did you take his class? What was your experience? I.E., how much better prepared do you feel after training with DH and how much better has your technique improved -- if you can quantify it.

I just took a quick look at the site and it seems I have to order his training materials before I can schedule for his class ... which I had actually intended to do anyway ...

While I would like to do private classes with him, based on cost, it looks like I will have to look to a semi-private schedule -- my only question there, is what class did you take? I am leaning toward the private simply to have the full attention of a proven professional shooter AND teacher than have to share my time with others ... anyway, THANK YOU!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I have not taken any coursework from DRM, but he's on my "bucket list," for when I am finally able to travel for classes (or if one happens to be in my area).

Why? Because ---> Proper Grip & Recoil Managment

His explanation of the physics of recoil and how I can, as a shooter, better mitigate it was what finally cemented for me my current grip.

I've gotten away with a lot, because I have a good grip.

Trust me, I'm not saying that to gloat. Know why? Because I'm about to tell you that I am now having to work twice as hard to re-establish fundamentals of trigger control - because a Kung-Fu Grip can't hide *everything*.

The grip is important, but don't focus toooooo much on it, like I did.

Anyway -

Given DRM's proximity to you, he would definitely be a first-choice for me.

Others?

Alias Tactical plays host to several different top-tier trainers, and many of those classes are out in the VA-area. There are also various VSM (Vickers Shooting Method) classes out in your area as well. Those are definitely worth checking out as well.

BAC
    If Tom Perroni is still up there, his instruction made a world of difference in my handgun shooting (starting from being fairly new and, like you, self-taught to that point).

One of these days I'll get back up to NOVA for another class or two.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

Sponsor

Lightbulb

Right now my Training Classes are 50% OFF...

Normally I charge $250 per person, per day. But for a limited time it's only $125 per per person (that's with a minimum of three students). Otherwise it breaks down like this:

• Private Lesson (1 student): $375 per day
    • Semi Private Class (2 students): $187.50 per person, per day

• Group Rates for 3-6 students:$125 per person, per day
    • Group Rates for Larger Classes: P.O.R.

Here'a link to class descriptions:

Tactical Shooting Academy - Class Descriptions
    "...with liberty and justice for all..."
    (Must be 18. Void where prohibited. Some restrictions may apply. Not available in all states). - D. Stanhope

D.R. Middlebrooks - Pro Shooting Coach & Custom Gunsmith
    Tactical Shooting Academy & Custom Shop
    www.TacticalShooting.com

Good luck.
    Yoda, I am, yes.

SG,

I would be more than happy to help you out!

I have never had the pleasure of training with DRM however I know people who have and if you choose him I'm sure you will not go wrong!

Let me know if I can Help!

Tom Perroni
    (540) 322-3000

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    If Tom Perroni is still up there, his instruction made a world of difference in my handgun shooting (starting from being fairly new and, like you, self-taught to that point).

One of these days I'll get back up to NOVA for another class or two.

BAC,

Thanks for the kind words! Hope you are doing well! I would love to have you come back and do some training with us. We are up to 3 ranges now business is booming so I don't have time to post. And the Open Enrollment training has taken a back seat to MIL/GOV training.

Stay Safe & Shoot Straight!

Tom

Links