CCW Class advice ( first gun).

This is a discussion on CCW Class advice ( first gun). within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I'm from Michigan and I'm getting my CCW license I'm taking this class on the 31st and wanted to know what to expect in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: CCW Class advice ( first gun).

Cool CCW Class advice ( first gun).

Ok, I'm from Michigan and I'm getting my CCW license I'm taking this class on the 31st and wanted to know what to expect in the class? I have never shot a gun before, and never held a gun before. I'm interested in a gun for protection (me and my family) I'm 22 years old and excited to take this class. Any advice on what to expect in the class?
    BigJon10125 and tony1990 like this.

Nope! Took mine here. However I would get out and fire a gun, preferably yours before taking the class. Getting familiar with a firearm that you will carry is a necessity. Good luck! If you are into guns the class can be a lot of fun. Ask questions. Better to know now than find out later.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

...I'd read the laws on deadly force in your state, and the laws on carrying weapons...so that you have some familiarity with them...
    ...I'd take comfort in the fact that most people who haven't shot before do quite well by just following the range officer's instructions...
    ...I'd take my notes from class, and compare them with the written laws...where there is a contradiction, draw a line through the notes and follow the written law...even good instructors say things that can get your life all scwewed up...
    ...welcome to the right side!!!

I don't think that getting out before the CC class is that important. Going into the class with little to no knowledge gives you the world to grow.
    IF you know someone that can take you to the range to shoot before the class, go if you feel comfortable with them. Don't go and try to figure it out by yourself.
    NewtownSam likes this.

what to expect:

it might be noisier than you expect - i recommend double ear protection - plugs and muffs.

the recoil will be less than you expected or feared.

i suspect much of the flinching that some people develop is caused by anticipation of the noise, not the physical recoil itself - double ear protection lessens this.

if you listen to the instructor and follow his/her instructions you'll do well. this is the main reason women do so well in these classes - they don't feel the need to show off what great shots they already are, so they follow instructions.

you'll have a great time. it's fun to preess the trigger and watch holes appear in the target. even more fun with targets that react - like bowling pins or steel plates.

Quote Originally Posted by bjhmivh22 View Post
    Ok, I'm from Michigan and I'm getting my CCW license I'm taking this class on the 31st and wanted to know what to expect in the class? I have never shot a gun before, and never held a gun before. I'm interested in a gun for protection (me and my family) I'm 22 years old and excited to take this class. Any advice on what to expect in the class?
    Either get someone you trust that knows about guns to give you some pointers or attend a gun class before you take the CCW class. Most CCW classes require you to pass the written and shooting test for your license. Those CCW classes are for teaching you the law and to make sure you can safely use a gun. If you mishandle your gun during the shooting part of the class and the instructor gets hurt you won't pass the class any time soon. However don't worry about the class itself since the instructors will work hard to teach you what you need to know during the class, the instructors I have met are top notch and great people with a lot of experience. Just ask questions and follow their instructions. Good luck. P.S. also try to shoot about 200 rounds before the class.
    Always Fight Crime - Shoot back until it stops.
    NRA member and supporter.
    A Gun without Ammo is called a door stop.

the instructor in my CCDW class asked a couple of people to leave and take an intro class first when he found out they had pretty much no experience with a gun. he was kind of a tool about it also.

read the rules for your state

A gun is a tool no more no less when you choose what you want to carry learn about it , and its safety features, in need a safety forgotten can kill you. learn to clean and make it safe. and practice.
    Better 12 judging than 6 carrying

I would brush up on general gun safety and try to get familiar with your pistol and how it works. Get a day in at the range if you feel comfortable- going with an experienced friend would be great

One of the others advised listening to the instructors and I believe this to be some great advise. You can also to do a little research on our Michigan gun laws before your class but the class will cover the basics. I took my class a few years ago and a suggested reading list was handed out to each student.
    Best surprise for me was how much fun I had, I also made a few new friends to shoot clays with.
    tony1990 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    R1200RT
    Remember, math is your friend not your enemy!

The State of Texas recommends that before you take the conceal course and apply for the license , you do take a basic safety course. I was happy to do just that. The course i took was advertised (at the time) in Groupon for $49.00 either a basic course, Women only basic course or the CHL course (since that time Groupon has unceremoniously dropped all gun related items.) The instructors where still honoring those prices. It was a great help.
    USM1976 and tony1990 like this.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    The basic safety course BEFORE the concealed-carry class is always a good idea.

Although state-mandated concealed-carry classes typically focus HEAVILY on safety, the problem will usually still be one of student-teacher ratio and the simple fact that there will be so many completely-new-to-the-gun students there means that safety is always a concern.

Being a part of the solution instead of the problem will both make you safer as well as will show your instructors that you actually care.

If you haven't done so already, research your instructor/school by joining your local/state concealed-carry Forum and both doing a search as well as asking around about his/her/that school's reputation. There have been not a few isolated cases of instructors not only teaching outdated or even plainly wrong information, but also actually exposing their students to serious legal risk by shortcutting the state mandated class requirements (i.e. Ohioans For Concealed Carry Discussion Forums ? View topic - pre-press trigger or not to holster? - Ohio requires 10 hours of classroom time, plus 2 hours of live-fire range time). Alternatively, look at what happens when trainers decide to teach their students skills that are clearly too advanced for the student's capabilities, such as in this re-creation of the tragic death in a Missouri concealed-carry class, where the instructor asked a new shooter like yourself to execute a support/reaction-hand draw plus chest-roll into presentation - Recreation of Tragic CCW Class Incident in Mountain Grove, MO - YouTube - a skill which is usually not taught until shooters have demonstrated inherent trigger safety and muzzle awareness plus already having mastered advanced pistol manipulation skills.

As a new shooter, it's going to take you a while to become comfortable with your gun. That's OK. But get safe with the gun in a low-teacher-to-student-ratio environment. Put 50 to 100 rounds downrange so you know what to expect. Start reading your state laws and participating on your state/local concealed-carry Forums so you can get a better understanding of the law (this way, you'll have a "BS filter" on, when you're in class: see "bad teachers/schools," above).

Best of luck!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'm sure there will be much disagreement, but I think gun safety and CCW classes should be separate.

Don't know about guns? Take an NRA gun safety class and learn the fundamentals. Concentrate on that issue!

Want to carry and need a permit.? Take a class that concentrates on the legalities and liabilities of carrying a firearm and the use of deadly force.

Too often when the two are combined, one loses out to the other. People tend to snooze thru the academics in anticipation of getting to the range.
    onacoma, tony1990 and USM1976 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Welcome to the world of responsible firearm ownership. There are many shooting related sports but safety rules apply to ALL firearms handling, ALL THE TIME !
    CCW class is a good starting point but I must agree firearms safety should be the starting point. Listen and ask questions in class. If you don't own a pistol, see if they will supply one for use in the class.
    Shoot a variety of pistols before making a informed choice. When you make a selection...make sure some ammo for it is available ! Good Luck !
    tony1990 likes this.

The instructor of the last CCW class I took asked if there was anyone present who had never fired a handgun. There was one person. The instructor and his assistant were very helpful to that person at the range, and he qualified. It would be much better to know about gun safety before taking the class. Whichever way you do it, do exactly as the instructors say at the range ( whether you are experienced or not ) and everyone will stay safe. I would call the instructor before taking the class and make him aware of my situation. He may be able to advise you better than we can here. Good luck and welcome aboard!

P.S.
    I didn't mention firearm safety in your home with your family. It can't be over emphasized! An accident cannot be undone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links