Here my new video about shooting drills

This is a discussion on Here my new video about shooting drills within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tactical drills for practicing practical or defensive pistol shooting. Includes shoot and move drills and single handed drills. Tactical Shooting Drills - YouTube...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Here my new video about shooting drills

Tactical drills for practicing practical or defensive pistol shooting. Includes shoot and move drills and single handed drills.
    Tactical Shooting Drills - YouTube

Extending your Gun into the BG at that close range = asking to have your Gun taken away.

- Sent from my 4 year old Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Extending your Gun into the BG at that close range = asking to have your Gun taken away.
    As quickly as he draws and fires several rounds into BGs chest, do you seriously think that BG is going to get much chance to take away the gun? Perhaps if he held the gun out to him for several seconds without firing the BG would be able to disarm him, but not the way Shootinbil is working things.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    As quickly as he draws and fires several rounds into BGs chest, do you seriously think that BG is going to get much chance to take away the gun?

Ah, you believe in the magic bullet theory. Some bad dudes get filled full of holes and have fight in them until they tire. Bu, you're the expert.

Whatever works for ya.

It's bad training.

Cheers.

Sent from my HP Desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Weeg View Post
    Whatever works for ya.

It's bad training.
    Agree.

For alternatives, see:

Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Agree.

For alternatives, see:

While Gunsite demonstrates one way of handling the cqb at the 6:45 mark there are a couple areas I have been taught differently and prefer over their methods. Just to name a couple areas I strongly disagree with....

I didn't watch more than a couple minutes but when he brings the gun into his preferred retention position (I prefer the number 2 position of the four count draw stroke) he leans back to fire. If you're ever in a fight in close it's never ideal to have you hips forward like that as you are easy to topple over.

Another thing he was doing was he was only 1-2 yards away from the target and already extending his arm. IMO it is unnecessary to extend your arm to get good hits at those distances. Again, similar to the OP you are taking the unnecessary risk of having your gun grabbed.

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    If a bg is that close you should be keeping your hands/weapon close to your body.

Agreed....no need to extend arms in that situation. Forms bad habits and can lead to disaster.
    BTW: It appears he does not squeeze the trigger until he is at what appears is his full extension.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    When in contact distance with the BG, know the gun may not be the best choice for defense. There are times one needs to make time and distance to bring the gun into play. This is why training in more than shooting a gun is needed.

Originally Posted by pittypat21
    As quickly as he draws and fires several rounds into BGs chest, do you seriously think that BG is going to get much chance to take away the gun?
    At the distance shown in video with a BG who knows how, shootinbil would never get his gun out of the holster. At contact distance you move in jam, smother and do your work on the inside with the tool of choice, destroying the other guy in the process. Or you close take control of the other guy then make room and time to bring gun into play.

My thoughts on the how to of it.
    AOK and ScottM like this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    When in contact distance with the BG, know the gun may not be the best choice for defense. There are times one needs to make time and distance to bring the gun into play. This is why training in more than shooting a gun is needed.

At the distance shown in video with a BG who knows how, shootinbil would never get his gun out of the holster. At contact distance you move in jam, smother and do your work on the inside with the tool of choice, destroying the other guy in the process. Or you close take control of the other guy then make room and time to bring gun into play.

My thoughts on the how to of it.
    Agreed, there are other ways to defend yourself besides a gun. BUt most folks are ctiiquing the not the method he used, but the way he used it. If you do elect to go with your gun by the time you are fullly extended you should have already been shooting and creating distance. Not extending, then shooting.

We use to do this drill with real folks, not paper targets...and of course no ammo. That really shows you what works and what does not
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I really don't want to pile on but I prefer the Gunsite method, has been my trainning for some time now.

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post

We use to do this drill with real folks, not paper targets...and of course no ammo. That really shows you what works and what does not
    +1

One of the many benefits of FOF is exactly what you mention above. You can test what you have been taught and what what really works and what doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    What if the BG doesn't just stand there like a paper target?

What if he moves to the side and grabs the gun? Or jams the draw like Bill MO says?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottM View Post
    What if the BG doesn't just stand there like a paper target?

What if he moves to the side and grabs the gun? Or jams the draw like Bill MO says?
    Yup.

The thing about sticking out the arm at full extension, like that, is that it halves the distance to the assailant and ends up being the least-strong position for retention. Quite simply, selecting the least advantageous option at the moment isn't preferable.

It's hard enough to rely upon a reliable presentation of a pocketed/holstered weapon if an aggressive assailant's at 10ft, let alone 3ft. Kicks to the knees/groin/chest, to repel the assailant; using the off-hand to repel; being force to go hands-on without a weapon for at least the opening stages; having to deal with an assailant that quickly has a weapon in hand ... any of these are possibilities that could happen, at least as likely as happening to present one's weapon sufficiently soon and capably to matter.

I hate CQB. In many ways, it's the great leveler of expectations and assumptions.
    ScottM likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Biggest issue I see is that if there is a legal right to draw and shoot, the BG has to possess the means to kill the GG. As slow as the draw was the GG would have been shot or stabbed several times before he would have been able to bring his gun to bear.

Try drawing against an already drawn weapon FOF, things will change.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links