Went to the range today

Went to the range today

This is a discussion on Went to the range today within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well as things draw down here there is less and less to do once the guard is set for the day. It was one of ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat

Thread: Went to the range today

VIP Member

Went to the range today

Well as things draw down here there is less and less to do once the guard is set for the day.

It was one of those days that you could forget where you are the weather was perfect, no outgoing or incoming so what better way to kill a couple of hours than to go to the range.

We are fortunate that we have a 25 meter short range inside the perimeter of the camp that you can go to anytime. There are an assortment of targets from bullseye to steel. Barricades of all sizes from 55 gallon drums to doorframes.

The weapons I shot today were my daily carry. First being a Glock 19 with night sights and M-3 WML. I use a Blade Tech Kydex paddle holster for daily wear and a Blackhawk Tactical Holster for other times. My rifle is a Chinese Type 56 AK-47 with a side folding stock. When I purchased this gun for company use I immediately took possession of it for my own, perks of being the boss and all

2013-03-16 15.25.55.jpg

Best I can tell the gun is all matching numbers and was made in 1966. It has a great trigger and other than opening up the rear sight notch and adding a rail system the gun is stock. Now I am the first to admit I hate adding stuff to an AK here however I had to make due with what I had. The only attachment I really use is a Surefire Taclight but instead of drilling holes into the side of the forearm to mount a piece of rail I simply adapted a rail system that I found here. I will say I do like the setup with the Magpul AFG. It gives me a solid point of reference when shooting right or left handed. I use a heavy padded sling that is long enough for a one or two point setup.

I did a few rounds of accuracy work from the bench which gets pretty boring the gun shoots POA/POI in about 1-1 1/2 inch groups at 25 yards. Next I did Rifle Ready Up drills. This entails starting from 5 yards and working your way back to 25. The rifle starts in a high ready and is shouldered and fired in 1-2 seconds depending on the distance. The way I fire an AK is from 0-25 yards I do not use the rear sight. I keep both eyes open and simply put the front sight, and in this case on the 56 it has a fully enclosed front sight post, on the target and fire.

I vary this drill by shooting from both shoulders and in some cases the opposite hand. I keep my right hand on the pistol grip, left hand on the mag/forearm and simply transition the whole gun to my left shoulder. It takes some practice but it is easy to do with most any rifle. Here are my results with 30 rounds from 5-25 yards with 1-2 seconds per single shot.

2013-03-16 14.52.37.jpg

I finished up with 9 rounds, three each standing, kneeling and prone firing as quickly as I could acquire the front sight after getting into position.

2013-03-16 14.53.05.jpg

With the pistol I have to make the most of my 9mm ammo as it is in short supply here. I opted for close contact drills from the holster firing as soon as it cleared with my elbow tucked to my side then followed that with one large quick movement off of the X and firing one head shot. I would fire between one and five rounds, move then fire to the head.

2013-03-16 14.52.03.jpg

The rounds on the upper left are not mine I was scrounging targets.

Anyways overall it was a good day at the range.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Enjoy the moment! Stay safe.

Not to bad for someone in your age bracket. Nice shooting..
    Bad Bob and mano3 like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

VIP Member
    I would like an indoor range, winter is still here and I am finished with it! nice 9 round group!
    rugergunner likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    Very funny HB.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

A day at the rang is always a good day. Nice shooting, by the way.

A day at the range pulling the trigger. A good day indeed.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    I would like an indoor range, winter is still here and I am finished with it! nice 9 round group!
    Heard that. I am over winter too.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Stay safe, tac.
    Remember,
    that offer for an adult beverage of your choice still stands if you find yourself in Tampa.

dan

VIP Member
    JD hopefully will be out of here in three weeks may just take you up on that

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    Very funny HB.
    LOL, you know if you ever need me, Ill be there....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Good times! A bad day at the range beats any day at work.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Links