training the other hand

training the other hand

This is a discussion on training the other hand within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you have trained themselves to shoot with the other hand? Being right handed and doing a lot of work around my vehicle ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training the other hand

training the other hand

How many of you have trained themselves to shoot with the other hand? Being right handed and doing a lot of work around my vehicle and the house I have injured my right hand on more than one occasion (sometimes pretty bad, putting it out of commision for a while).

Anyways, since I started carrying fairly recently I have realized that if I injure my right hand I'm SOL.... so I will try to teach myself to shoot with my left hand. How many of you have done that? Any tips?

Practice practice practice thats all ya can do

I'm Left handed and have had to train the right i have had right shoulder rebuilt twice and it take a lot of practice to keep me shooting good right handed thats all i can really tell ya

Assistant Administrator
    It is so easy to forget the weak hand - but practice we must.

I easily forget about that when at the range - until sometimes near finished and then oops - better do some weak hand drills. I have always tried to do this but am aware that it is never as much as I should.

One good thing in IDPA shoots, is there is usually at least one stage where weak hand has to be used - it is a salutary reminder usually re how we do need to train with it.

It is also, even tho pretty tricky to do - necessary to be able to aquire the piece with weak hand - from carry rig. No easy answer usually but it is certainly vital to have found at least some method you can make work, even if clumsy compared to normal.

Main thing is to keep gun secure and controlled.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    As Bud said, practice. shooting airsoft weak hand helps too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    It is also, even tho pretty tricky to do - necessary to be able to aquire the piece with weak hand - from carry rig. No easy answer usually but it is certainly vital to have found at least some method you can make work, even if clumsy compared to normal.
    I'm actually thinking about ordering one holster for left side for a "rainy" day.

Had To Shoot...

weak hand in a couple of courses...but haven't done much else!
    Probably a good idea to do a little more...

"Man, I'd give my right arm to be ambi-dextrous!"

ret
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; November 5th, 2006 at 10:39 PM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    I took a few course with mirrored set ups. I would alternate hands for every drill. It did not take long at all to get over that "retarded" feeling.

I would highly recommend weak hand practice. There are millions of ways to reduce you to only your weak hand in a fight for your life, and murphy has a way of showing up at precisely the wrong time. One thing to remember when practicing weak hand is that many find that a slight inward cant on the gun (not "gangsta" style, just 15-25 degrees or so) dramiatically helps with recoil control and follow up shot splits. Just food for thought.

Sponsor
    I'm basically ambi in most everything, though I shoot right handed with pistols the majority of the time as the controls are always more conducive to the "righties".

I practice the "Enhanced Peripheral Vision" [ EPV ] TM I developed for the courses using two guns at the same time quite often, so both hands get a workout simultaneously. Sometimes with the same weapons platform, other times with different guns in either hand and swapped back and forth.

One of the two easiest ways I've discovered for getting others to become ambi in many things in life is double stick training [ kali or escrima ] and the EPV workouts at the range. 10 hours on the sticks really gets people to use their "other" hand quite easily in other areas like this discussion where shooting is concerned.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    I train weak-hand (and weak-hand only) drills fairly regularly. I even have a left-hand holster or two.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Training with left hand, I Found, I'm not too bad.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Training with your non-dominate hand is really important, but I must admit that I have not done it enough. While taking a FOF course recently, I was amazed at how often others and I were hit in the hand with the airsoft rounds.

Really need to start including this in my training…

Manwell

Have any of you folks practiced performing reloads and/or racking the slide using only one hand (right or left)?

Our practice group does these on occasion. It’s not all that difficult to perform a reload by capturing your gun between your knees, in a holster or in a pocket while inserting a new magazine. It’s not at all difficult to rack the slide by catching the ejection port or rear sight on your belt, holster, heel, or by trapping the slide upside down between your knees or in the crook of a bent knee.

I’m just curious to see if anyone else practices stuff like this.

HG
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Green View Post
    Have any of you folks practiced performing reloads and/or racking the slide using only one hand (right or left)?
    I've done one-handed reloads and clearance drills, but I don't practice them much (I probably should, though). I have recently added one-handed practice (both strong and weak hands), and weak-hand draws to my dry fire routine, along with some shooting in weak side two-handed fire (for shooting around the left side of cover).

One thing I've discovered is that I have to consciously put my weak-hand trigger finger in register. My strong hand trigger finger goes to register automatically, without conscious thought. Hopefully if I keep up with the weak hand practice, my weak-hand trigger finger will develop the same autopilot as my strong hand.

Senior Moderator
    I always practice firing from retention, which is one handed for me, at 10' and less every range session (about once a month). This is both to keep my muscle memory at hitting close targets with out using the sights, and becuase I think that a CCW incident is going to by close. I have done weak hand drills, but not enough.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links