Advanced CCW training classes in Michigan

This is a discussion on Advanced CCW training classes in Michigan within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone know of any classes in Michigan? I'm in the Thumb area, but can travel to the Tri Cities or Detroit area if I ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Harryball

Thread: Advanced CCW training classes in Michigan

Advanced CCW training classes in Michigan

Does anyone know of any classes in Michigan? I'm in the Thumb area, but can travel to the Tri Cities or Detroit area if I have to. If there is one that supports this site, that would be great.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    MDFI is in Pinckney, MI.

I haven't been there, yet, but I've heard good things about them.

Trek was one of the AIs (as a part of Raven Concealment) for the Costa Ludus HE01/02 courses in Ohio last summer, and from my experience through said courses with him, he's an attentive and well-qualified instructor.

Due to Gov. Snyder's veto of the enhanced CCW bill there is really not a advanced class per se. However the NRA does offer its Personal Protection Outside the Home training. Contact the NRA for the nearest class

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lindsay View Post
    Due to Gov. Snyder's veto of the enhanced CCW bill there is really not a advanced class per se. However the NRA does offer its Personal Protection Outside the Home training. Contact the NRA for the nearest class
    I have taken that class, pretty basic but lots of fun. We shot lots of ammo that day. The CPL class is geared towards in the home, this one is for personal protection outside the home. Fun day.
    I Love Guns!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    MDFI is in Pinckney, MI.

I haven't been there, yet, but I've heard good things about them.

Trek was one of the AIs (as a part of Raven Concealment) for the Costa Ludus HE01/02 courses in Ohio last summer, and from my experience through said courses with him, he's an attentive and well-qualified instructor.
    Yep, good stuff.

Bill, are you still teaching with saurez, if so, OP you could attend one of there classes in bellevue Mi
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

It would be a drive for you, but Close Quarters Tactical in Utica has a variety of classes. Very safety-conscious bunch; the few bad reviews they've gotten are from people that didn't like being called out on their behavior or "told what to do". I personally found the staff to be pretty friendly and helpful. Their store is a bit pricey, but range time and class costs are reasonable.

Close Quarters Tactical

AOK
    A few solid schools I've trained with in Michigan include: MDFI, Jericho Defense, Ranger Firearm Instruction, Patriot Defense and Close Quarter Tactical. All of the schools will be a little bit of a drive but all would be worth the trip IMO.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys. I've been looking for such opportunities myself and hoping I wouldn't have to leave the state to do it. Driving downstate isn't so bad though.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lindsay View Post
    Doh! My bad. I'd completely forgotten that for MI residents, the words "Advanced CCW" carry a different context!

Quote Originally Posted by UrsusMedius View Post
    It would be a drive for you, but Close Quarters Tactical in Utica has a variety of classes. Very safety-conscious bunch; the few bad reviews they've gotten are from people that didn't like being called out on their behavior or "told what to do". I personally found the staff to be pretty friendly and helpful. Their store is a bit pricey, but range time and class costs are reasonable.

Close Quarters Tactical
    Isn't that what a class is supposed to be for? I would like to learn what NOT to do as much as what TO do. Sounds like there are quite a few good options out there, Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ndpuckhead View Post
    Isn't that what a class is supposed to be for? I would like to learn what NOT to do as much as what TO do. Sounds like there are quite a few good options out there, Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
    Surely you realize there are two different kinds of students. There are those that genuinely want to learn and WANT to have their shortcomings pointed out so that they can be corrected. Then there are those who simply want to impress or intimidate the rest of the class with their "mad skills".

To the original question, I have done a fair amount of training with both MDFI and Jericho Defense. Both are good outfits. I like MDFI for their variety and quantity of classes but they do tend to have a fair amount of "mad-skills" types. To be fair the instructors usually take care of them before they become too much of an annoyance. Jericho Defense generally has smaller classes but fewer classes offered.

I would take coures from either of them.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Doh! My bad. I'd completely forgotten that for MI residents, the words "Advanced CCW" carry a different context!
    Will forgive you this time....
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Quote Originally Posted by Ndpuckhead View Post
    Isn't that what a class is supposed to be for?...
    <chuckle> There's always the guy that thinks the rules apply to everyone else but him.

My comment wasn't so much about in the class but on their range and in their pro shop. The range has a wall of plexiglass behind the shooters that has at least one guy watching at all times. Some people don't like being watched (or as one malcontent remarked, "baby-sat").

Links