Practice drill: draw to first shot

This is a discussion on Practice drill: draw to first shot within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I downloaded a shot timer for my android. It has a feature that allows the buzzer to go off at a random point between one ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Practice drill: draw to first shot

Practice drill: draw to first shot

I downloaded a shot timer for my android. It has a feature that allows the buzzer to go off at a random point between one and five seconds after hitting start, and the click on an empty chamber is enough to trip the shot timer.

So, I grabbed my wife's phone and set it up to serve a dual function: to record video and to act as the target.

Then I proceeded to do twenty drills, responding to the beep drawing from the holster, getting on target (2 inch by 4 inch phone) from about 8 feet away.

By video taping myself, I can judge whether or not I was in fact on target, which is more important than speed. You can't miss fast enough, you know.

So, my average was 0.73 seconds from holster to shot. It looks surprisingly fast on video, but I am wondering how this stacks up. I'd like to get the average down by a tenth of a second, and had a couple 0.66 second times. Does this sound reasonable?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

2. Remove Ads

Your fine, that's a decent draw time. I don't test myself on this much, when I have .... I go from point to empty gun... and that was 2.5 seconds on a revolver and 3.0 - 3.5 sec with a semi and 13 rds. I think it's good to practice several shots and that even the follow up shots are all on target.... because "speed" is not the main thing, it's who hits their target first.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Is that from concealed or from OWB? I only practice the draw from concealed with my EDC and normal everyday attire, untucked and unbuttoned shirt, and my time is in the 0.8 to 1.0 sec and on occasion faster but normally the hits are on target but just below the navel. IMO, very good for an old guy like me.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Yes, from concealed. IWB, loose overshirt.

GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Yes, from concealed. IWB, loose overshirt.

That's a good time.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

MJK
    I recently did an IDPA stage where I drew from cover and had to put 5 to the body and one to the head at 8 yards. I was zero down in 2.8 seconds if I recall.

Also, when you practice do not train yourself to fire every time. You may be in a situation in which you draw but are not required to fire.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    OP what is the name of the app?
    Thanks
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

AOK
    Just curious, were you getting out to full extension and/or getting a sight picture that close?

I've never used a timer in that close but that sounds very solid. I'm not very fast but my first shot averages between 1.05-1.1 seconds cold turkey from concealment at 21 feet with arms and hands hanging down naturally by my sides. If I start at 15 feet the average drops about a tenth of a second. That's pacing myself so everything is efficient/clean with a good sight picture.

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    You say you want to cut some more time off your draw. IMO the fast draw is not what will save your bacon. I don't care how fast you are if you rely on the speed of the draw only you will lose right along with the BG. You both get shot!

Spend your time and money on getting some training on the tactics of winning a gunfight. You'll find you have only started with the skills needed.

Oh by the way you are FASTER than I am (already), but in the gunfight I will most likely kill you. Not saying you will not hit me, but I will KILL YOU! Why because of my mindset before we go into the fight.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

MJK
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    You say you want to cut some more time off your draw. IMO the fast draw is not what will save your bacon. I don't care how fast you are if you rely on the speed of the draw only you will lose right along with the BG. You both get shot!

Spend your time and money on getting some training on the tactics of winning a gunfight. You'll find you have only started with the skills needed.

Oh by the way you are FASTER than I am (already), but in the gunfight I will most likely kill you. Not saying you will not hit me, but I will KILL YOU! Why because of my mindset before we go into the fight.
    Bill MO clearly understands what this is all about!

+1
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

MJK - Thanks for the good advice with regard to not pulling the trigger every time.

PEF - The app is IPSC Shot Timer (Beta version)... It works well enough.

AOK - Yes, I am getting out to full extension and obtaining a sight picture - though not a detailed one. Front sight over the target, pull trigger, check sight picture, and then review on camera... The camera, which acts as the target in this exercise is 4 inches wide, which at 8 feet would be equivalent to the 8-inch 'A-zone' or 'Zero points down' COM area in IDPA if the target is set up at 16 feet.

Bill MO - I am glad you're on my side so that we don't ever have to test your hypothesis, which I suspect is on the money! I readily admit to being a noob, and my training is still limited. I've paid for some training (one-on-one and in advanced group setting), but recognize the need to do more. I am dedicated to improving, and am taking the same approach that I've taken in other areas of my life... THINK BIG PICTURE - TRAIN HOLISTICALLY - TRAIN INCREMENTALLY - FOCUS ON WEAKNESSES, NOT STRENGTHS. Along these lines, I break down scenarios into component parts, and work on each when I can. But the best training is done in the mind, and all good defense starts with SA.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
    Yarg28 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

thanks for the app name. sounds great. I actually came to this section to ask about timers. I'm very new to shooting and want something to help me drill/practice between my training sessions. Sounds like this might be a cheap way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    I downloaded a shot timer for my android. It has a feature that allows the buzzer to go off at a random point between one and five seconds after hitting start, and the click on an empty chamber is enough to trip the shot timer.

So, I grabbed my wife's phone and set it up to serve a dual function: to record video and to act as the target.

Then I proceeded to do twenty drills, responding to the beep drawing from the holster, getting on target (2 inch by 4 inch phone) from about 8 feet away.

By video taping myself, I can judge whether or not I was in fact on target, which is more important than speed. You can't miss fast enough, you know.

So, my average was 0.73 seconds from holster to shot. It looks surprisingly fast on video, but I am wondering how this stacks up. I'd like to get the average down by a tenth of a second, and had a couple 0.66 second times. Does this sound reasonable?

Be careful that you don't practice this too much. You may find yourself waiting for the BG to BEEP before you draw. ;)

Less than a second is good, MUCH faster than calling 9-1-1 and waiting for LEO anyway. :)
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Thanks for sharing the info on that app - I need to download and give it a try.
    The day the music died - Nov 6, 2012

Also available for the iPhone! Nice find. Thanks!
    Always Carry, Never Tell
    S&W Shield 9mm
    Ruger LCP .380
    NRA Member
    Certified NRA Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links