NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home

This is a discussion on NRA Personal Protection Outside the Home within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; NRA TC's .........have you been given any dates for getting your Cert in PPOTH? I haven't heard a word yet. I called the NRA Training ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

NRA TC's .........have you been given any dates for getting your Cert in PPOTH? I haven't heard a word yet. I called the NRA Training Dept and they told me that the master TC's would get the training first. Will we be notified as to when it will be available to us?

Jim

VIP Member
    I'm supposed to be training with some of the guys who had a hand in writing the course this weekend, so I will try to let you know this weekend if I have time. Shoot me a PM Friday or Saturday to remind me please?
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

NRA PPOTH (Personal Protection Outside the Home)

One of our Senior Training Counselors attended the very first PPOTH training session at NRA HQ in June. She hasn't a clue as to when training materials are going to be issued and when she can begin to train new instructors.

Another TC that I know sent a note to the training department asking when the PPOTH materials would be available. The answer that he received was that there would be an announcement in the next Shooting Education Update.

Guess we'll all need to be patient

Clem (NRA Master Training Counselor)

Assistant Administrator
    Hello Clem

I am hoping things will gel before too long so I can go get my cert to add to the rest.

Chances are it'll be a while tho and am hoping to maybe get this in the bag next spring. I have people asking about it already.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome

I hope I'm not being too optimistic, but I believe that we'll be doing instructor training here in NE Wyoming by late winter 2007 and presenting the PPOTH course to folks by springtime.

You probably have heard that all PPOTH instructor candidates will be required to attend the BASIC PPOTH course before beginning the instructor training course. (NRA training department edict, not ours)

In any case, it'll be a dandy course to offer to folks and should be a fun one to teach

Clem

Assistant Administrator
    I have 'all 5' certified currently Clem - and have taught the basic PP - so hopefully once someone is providing the councelling course within my reach, I can be good to go.

I am hopeful there will be good uptake on that once there are enough of us out there to offer it.
    Chris - P95

Since you've taught the PP in the Home, you know that it's fun for the students. Some of our students have never been exposed to any defensive style shooting and the ideas are a revelation for them. From the "inside info" I've been able to get from our Senior TC about the course and reading the student handbook, I think the PPOTH course will be super for expanding on the things learned in PP in the Home. The course will catch on if we do our job in letting folks know that it's available.

By the way, the PPOTH student handbook is available now.

"NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home"

Description: Crime is a vital issue to all Americans, whether they own firearms or not. The NRA Guide to the Basics of Personal Protection Outside the Home is a comprehensive handbook that can help anyone reduce the risk of becoming a victim of violent crime outside the home.

Softcover. Spiral-bound. Color. 356 pages. ORDER NUMBER - ES 30000 Regular Price: $19.95

Order here http://materials.nrahq.org/go/produc...tid=ES%2030000 OR call (800) 336-7402

Assistant Administrator
    Excellent info Clem thanks - I will call that # on Monday to order a copy.
    Chris - P95

If what Clem says is true, we have a long wait. Seems to me that NRA jumped the gun on this one. They have been advertising PPOTH on their TV show for quite some time now. I have fieded numerous requests for PPOTH since it has been advertised. It sure makes me look like a real dummy as a TC when I tell people I don't have a clue whats going on with PPOTH. Seems to me the NRA could 'spam' all the instructors and let us know the status of things.
    Jim

NRATC,

Long wait indeed ! I heard a rumor from NRA staff about PPOTH when I moved up to STC in May of 2000. If I'm figuring correctly, that's five and a half years ! BUT, we are very close now, compared to that five plus years that have gone by.

I don't have any idea why NRA would put out the TV ads they have about PPOTH so early

The initial training at NRA HQ for the STC's and MTC's during June, July and August this year was to train these folks, and to gather input on how the ITC and Basic lesson plans should be tweaked. The delay since August has given the training department some time to tweak those lesson plans, now there needs to be some time to get those lesson plans printed and ready to send out to us folks in the field.

Have faith my friend, the course is coming soon, if you find that I'm wrong about my prediction of the time line before the course is in the field, let me know and I'll apologize

Hey, I've been telling my students for years that this course was "on the way", it's been a little embarrassing to me too. It'll be a whiz-bang course when it finally arrives.

Clem

Just the opinion of one old guy--who has been an NRA instructor for more than 20 years, NRA Law Enforcement Instructor for more than 14 years, and a NRA Training Counselor for 7 years. I attended my first NRA training program at Camp Perry 24 years ago, a Police Instructor Workshop. Had a concealed carry license since 1970, And shot competition since the sixties.

This is a money situation. Training Counselors will have to take the Basic course from one of the anointed, then the Instructor course. then they will be allowed to teach the new courses.

I am a volunteer instructor--charge nothing more than my cost. Not sure how much more money I am willing to give to the NRA for another certification.

Next, I have some doubt as to the quality of the so called 'Senior Training Counselors'.

I hope it is a good program, but I have a lot of doubts about the trainers. Wonder how many are dedicated every day gun carriers, how many have advanced training with top people in the business, etc.

Time will tell.

A PS: I do plan to order a copy of the manual the next time I order supplies for a class. Was not available when I placed my last order.
    Last edited by KC135; November 23rd, 2006 at 07:59 PM. Reason: PS
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Assistant Administrator
    KC - It is feasable I could go down to Centreville VA next July to get my cert in this but - stand by - $450.

I have yet to make anything out of my course teaching and if totally mercenary about things am still well over $500 out of pocket from getting certified for all five (as was then).

I want to do this new one but - not so sure over time I shall want to spend that much, even tho want to help shooting folks and new CCW's coming in. Add on my travel costs and one overnight stop over - and I am out in the end probably $550.

I am sure costs have to be met but I am no more made of money than many people and this presents a conflict of cost vs altruism.
    Chris - P95

Thats the problem I see too. We both know the cost of putting on classes, and if I am going to pay a price like that, I'll add a little more and reattend a Farnam class 30 miles from my door--live in my camper on site, etc, or spend 4 or 5 days as RSO for friend Ayoob at the same location at no cost.

Chris, all we can do is continue to do our best to educate--George
    It is unfortunate, but I saw this coming several years ago. Too many people are charging way too much for these courses.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

The course has been the works since the mid-1990s. I took my TC Course just after the death of Rex Applegate...he was the one who was writing the course for the NRA and the course was almost complete..so it has been a long time coming.

In talking to the now head of the TC section of the NRA Training Division and my local Senior TC my guess it will be late spring or summer before the first real students are taking the class. Before a TC can certify an Instructor he/she has to teach two PPOTH classes himself. That means he may be teaching alone and my plan is to do two classes of current PPITH Instructors who also have CC permits, are regular gun carriers and who can demonstrate they know what they are doing before being allowed into the course. This will become the Teaching Team for regular students.

It may also be going slower than planned because of unexpected "concerns". I know that the NRA was planning to teach fanny pack carry which had to be dropped due to instructor liability concerns. Also quite a number of Senior Training Counselors who went to HQ for training ended up being rejected because although great BP and PPITH Instructors they had never even worn a gun themselves, never had or had just obtained a CC Permit and had no clue as to proper carry, concealment or presentation of the firearm.

To the NRAs credit they seem to want to do things right in this time.

Bob

Bob, perhaps I am wrong--sure hope so, however if it continues to look like a cash cow for a few senior TCs--well we will see. I would like to see the credentials of each one of those qualified to teach the rest of us. George
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links