DMZ Tactical in IL

This is a discussion on DMZ Tactical in IL within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at taking a couple of training courses and have come across DMZ Tactical. I have tried google and can not find much ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Harryball
  • 1 Post By TSiWRX

Thread: DMZ Tactical in IL

DMZ Tactical in IL

I am looking at taking a couple of training courses and have come across DMZ Tactical. I have tried google and can not find much for reviews. Does anyone know anything about them or better yet, taken a course? Any other recommendations of instructors in N Illinois, besides move!!! I already know that.

I am looking for Tactical Handgun and Tactical Shotgun style courses.

Thanks

DMZ Tactical | Tactical firearm training for the rest of us.

2. Remove Ads

Looking at the website and watching a couple of videos they look newbish, it might be of some benefit to travel out of state. I am not telling you to move out of state, just train out of state. Saurez international has classes all over the country, but do not have any in your state.
    onacoma, 40Bob and TSiWRX like this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    You've got GunSite in Arizona! Or see what PDN has: Personal Defense How-To Videos, Articles | PDN

Or as Harry states Saurez!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Suarez International USA, Inc. - Search

Check these link often if you do not find what you are looking for now, more will be added as summer comes and goes.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

I thought that name rang a bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    Looking at the website and watching a couple of videos they look newbish...
    ^ That. +1. While I think it's hard to truly pin something on just a video, honestly, I have reservations about this outfit specifically because of their videos.....

Handgun Malfunction and Remedial Action | | DMZ TacticalDMZ Tactical

^ Take a minute and view the video there. Don't knee-jerk about how bad the instruction is. Maintain focus - I need you to stick with me on this one, so that you can see the truly shocking side of this story......

That, and the following, was taken from nickdrak's post on M4Carbine ( Handgun malfunction and Remedial action....SERIOUSLY??? - M4Carbine.net Forums )

Quote Originally Posted by nickdrak
    This was snipped from an entry on a local instructors website who runs multiple "Groupon/LivingSocial" type firearm instruction events which are targeted at new/unexperienced shooters that are held at a local gun club.

__________________________________________________ __
    "In this video I am demonstrating the three most popular malfunctions in a handgun. They are as follows:

Failure to fire
    Stove-pipe
    Doublefeed"
    Im not quite sure what "popular" has to do with types of handgun malfunctions but I just wanted to put it into context. The following is apparently what he/they are teaching to these brand-new students who are attending his classes. The comments in RED are what concern me the most...

"Another thing I hear a bunch these days is, the new school of thought, instead of re-engaging after the remedial action go directly to an assess mode first. That is all fine and dandy but there should not be any need to assess. As you are doing remedial action, you do not disregard the enemy, and you surely dont forget if they are shooting back at you or not. The purpose of re-engaging with rounds down range is to let them know that you are back in battery and fully capable of neutralizing them. If in the couple of seconds it took for you to clear a malfunction and re-engage, the enemy fled then so be it, shoot a couple rounds and let them know to run faster.

Another reason to re-engage is to make sure that your firearm fires properly after the remedial action. If you just assess and put it back into your holster because the enemy is gone, you never know if you fixed it. A couple minutes later the enemy comes back and you pull that firearm out and it fails to fire. This is not the time to figure out what happened, you had plenty of time to figure it out if you would of fired a round after the remedial action and it failed to fire."
    __________________________________________________ __
    ....which should be reviewed in-context of the following :arrow: Stray bullets from neighbor's shooting range damage Will County home | abc7chicago.com

Title of article: "Stray bullets from neighbor's shooting range damage Will County home."

The gunshots came from a neighbor who lives about 400 yards behind the Gaskins.

Shooting on private property is legal, but Bill Gaskin discovered more than residential target practice when he went to his neighbor's house.

"He was holding a shooting event. About 25 people were shooting," Gaskin said.

Gaskin was told an organization called DMZ Tactical was holding the event. The shooting range was set up with a berm facing a line of homes.

The Gaskins' next-door neighbors were also hit. A bullet is lodged in their deck.
    Yeah, you don't want to be these guys:

..."One of them pierced our window," said Bill Gaskin. "It went through the wall...and it lodged in his closet."

The noise woke up 17-year-old Andrew Gaskin from a dead sleep. He rolled over and went back to sleep, not thinking it was an bullet that went through his closet.
    So, yep, I'm gonna take their advice and fire off a shot downrange after I clear a malfunction, just so I know my gun won't malfunction - and I'm not gonna worry about my backstop. Right.

I *really* hate not giving people the benefit of doubt, but in this case, I'm really kinda afraid of this particular outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    I thought that name rang a bell.

^ That. +1. While I think it's hard to truly pin something on just a video, honestly, I have reservations about this outfit specifically because of their videos.....

Handgun Malfunction and Remedial Action | | DMZ TacticalDMZ Tactical

^ Take a minute and view the video there. Don't knee-jerk about how bad the instruction is. Maintain focus - I need you to stick with me on this one, so that you can see the truly shocking side of this story......

That, and the following, was taken from nickdrak's post on M4Carbine ( Handgun malfunction and Remedial action....SERIOUSLY??? - M4Carbine.net Forums )

Yeah, you don't want to be these guys:

So, yep, I'm gonna take their advice and fire off a shot downrange after I clear a malfunction, just so I know my gun won't malfunction - and I'm not gonna worry about my backstop. Right.

I *really* hate not giving people the benefit of doubt, but in this case, I'm really kinda afraid of this particular outfit.
    After all that, I think you can say they are newbish bro...LOL

Wow, I guess I will keep looking. I thought they are close and relatively inexpensive, I might give them a shot. I am just getting back into shooting and thought a refresher course would be good. I don't see anything good here. I will look at the Suarez classes. I found a few that are not that far away. Thanks for the advice.

Don't get the wrong idea, please! Close and inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean that the training will be sub-par. I've got several local instructors/schools who have very impressive CVs and conduct classes in a safe and responsible manner, and also impart a lot of great knowledge - all at basically Blue Light Special pricing.

Hope you find something within reasonable distance to you! Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    Don't get the wrong idea, please! Close and inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean that the training will be sub-par. I've got several local instructors/schools who have very impressive CVs and conduct classes in a safe and responsible manner, and also impart a lot of great knowledge - all at basically Blue Light Special pricing.

Hope you find something within reasonable distance to you! Best of luck!
    Based on the info, they are putting out on youtube. If that is the best they have, I will say it. He needs to find better. Nothing personal, they look newbish. I would hate the OP get improper training, then have to unlearn and relearn.

^ Oh, I definitely agree.

I just didn't want him to think that *all* "local" outfits/trainers are like that, that's all.

After all, Vogel could be a local to someone who lives where he lives.
    Harryball likes this.

What is Vogel?

Quote Originally Posted by dltaylor4 View Post
    What is Vogel?

Links