Best way to carry spare magazines

This is a discussion on Best way to carry spare magazines within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a spare magazine for my Glock 30 in a Remora magazine pouch in my front left pocket. The magazine is inserted with the ...

Thread: Best way to carry spare magazines

VIP Member

Best way to carry spare magazines

I carry a spare magazine for my Glock 30 in a Remora magazine pouch in my front left pocket. The magazine is inserted with the bullets facing toward the rear, meaning if you were facing me, the bullets would be facing left. This way, if i need to reload, I can reach into my pocket with my thumb toward my belt buckle and my fingers toward the rear, pull the magazine out and insert it into the magazine well without having to re-orient my hand.

I was reading an article that recommended carrying the magazine with the bullets facing forward (toward the belt buckle). There were no accompanying pictures so, if I'm understanding the article correctly, I would need to extract the magazine with my thumb toward the rear and my fingers toward my belt buckle. This seems awkward to me.

Is there a recommended method of carrying spare magazines and orienting the magazine. It seems to me that either method would work, but like anything else, requires much training. Just trying to figure out what is the general practice.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

I like to carry with the bullets facing forward so when I grab the magazine I can index my pointer finger on the tip of the bullet and help guide it into the magwell. if you load the mag into your pocket with the open end with the bullets facing down and towards the front, when you reach in you can lead with your index finger and grab the mag and as it comes out put you finger on the first bullet. If that makes any sense.

Links