Defensive Carry banner

New shooter drills

740 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  GhostMaker 
#1 ·
I am looking to become a more accurate shooter. Currently my groups are large shooting from only 10 yards. I have mainly been shooting my shield so I know the barrel length is not ideal for bullseye shooting but I think 4" groups at 10 yards is not unreasonable.

I am leaning towards my problem being trigger control/ flinching. When I dry fire I am rock solid but while shooting live I do feel myself anticipating recoil.

Is the snap cap drill the drill I should be focusing on 100% at the range until I get my basics down or are there other things I should work on?

#2 ·
It's hard to work with someone and not be there, but there are some things you can do to help. Grip strength is of great importance so I would suggest purchasing a hand gripper from some place like Wal-Mart. Start out by doing something like 4 sets of 25 reps to increase your strength and endurance. After you can do these with no real effort increase the reps per set. This will also help with trigger control and recoil control. Second I would find an instructor who will work with you in person. They can help you with the snap cap drill you are doing by placing them in a loaded mag where you will not know when they will come up. Your stance can also help, though you didn't mention what stance you use. I prefer the isosceles as it enables you to lock your frame in to help absorb recoil. You will likely get other good tips from the other instructors here, I prefer to work with the shooter to see the small and large things they do that affect their performance.

#3 ·
I use the isosceles stance and recoil management is not a problem. Grip strength is good I work with my hands for a living and I pride myself in having a vise like grip. The only way I have pinpointed it to anticipating recoil/flinch is sometimes I ride the slide release (working on this) because the gun is so small and a couple times I have had a huge flinch on that shot.

#4 ·
Ahhh....okay. Let me ask, does your Shield slip/twist/or move in your hand when you fire? Also, how often do you get to go to the range?

#5 ·
I never feel like the firearm is not in control so not twisting or slipping out of the hands. After a shot the I get slight muzzle flip but more of a push back. Less flip more push.

I have only been able to go 1-2 times a month (outdoor range is open linited hours) but recently got a key to use my clubs indoor range. This means I can use the indoor range 24/7 for no fee (yearly club dues) as long as I can find ammo.

The flinch is not as bad as the first time I saw it happen (more aware of it) but still happens. I am going to get some snap caps on Monday regardless hopefully they have them.

#6 ·
Just sent you a PM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.