Mythbusters- Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight.

This is a discussion on Mythbusters- Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight. within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I happend to see this Mythbuster Episode concerning how much ground an attacker with a knife can cover before a defender with a gun can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Mythbusters- Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight.

Mythbusters- Bringing a Knife to a Gun Fight.

I happend to see this Mythbuster Episode concerning how much ground an attacker with a knife can cover before a defender with a gun can sucessfully respond.

I realize that Adam IS racking the slide before he shoots at Jamie and that very few people would carry that way. Certainly not me!
    Having said that, I think their test was very revealing at showing just how little time a person would have to draw their weapon and fire when the bad guy comes running fast with a knife from 20 feet away and your life is on the line.

rugerista likes this.

2. Remove Ads

It is very revealing. So much so that a lot of PDs are extending that distance out to 30ft for their training. Remember, just because the BG is shot does not mean that you are not going to get stabbed....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Nice video though I would hope most of us could draw and fire twice in the time its taking him to get the slide racked
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Jamie didn't take defensive action other than drawing his gun. Lateral movement might increase the odds. I have done the drill cocked and locked & 20 feet is pretty tough.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Senior Member Array elmacgyver0's Avatar
    Having a gun and all the best training does not guarantee you will come out on top in an encounter, sometimes the dragon wins.
    But, he does not have to win everytime.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    Having a gun and all the best training does not guarantee you will come out on top in an encounter, sometimes the dragon wins.
    But, he does not have to win everytime.
    The best training precludes the stand-and-deliver strategy mandated by the Tueller drill.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar
    Watching it is nothing compared to actually doing it. Find a structured FOF class an learn just what you do or don't know. If nothing else buy two airsoft pistols, face masks and get a buddy, both of you wearing shorts and T-shirt and run the 21 foot drill.

I think you'll learn quick not to get shot. And Yes I've done FOF in short sleeve shirt over t-shirt. My thoughts...you can't learn if you don't know you are taking hits. I've seen guys so padded up you empty our gun on them and they claim "I never got hit once."
    DRM likes this.
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

Wow. That was cool. While the test doesn't cover all senerios it does give you something to ponder. On another note I have not seen this episode before. :(

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill MO View Post
    Watching it is nothing compared to actually doing it. Find a structured FOF class an learn just what you do or don't know. If nothing else buy two airsoft pistols, face masks and get a buddy, both of you wearing shorts and T-shirt and run the 21 foot drill.

I think you'll learn quick not to get shot. And Yes I've done FOF in short sleeve shirt over t-shirt. My thoughts...you can't learn if you don't know you are taking hits. I've seen guys so padded up you empty our gun on them and they claim "I never got hit once."
    I do all my FonF airsoft stuff in a T-shirt, and get hit frequently. For the money I spend on training, I reckon I should try to learn something.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

There are an infinite number of scenarios where a bad guy can get the drop on you with any weapon. Just keep practicing your quick draw and quick, accurate first shot.

Edit: Also, in case you did not know, the fight scene was supposed to be a dazzling hand to hand battle, but Harrison Ford had eaten some local food and asked if he could just shoot him.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movie...e-was-my-idea/
    Laws do not stop criminals, bullets do.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mythbuster setups are so flawed.
    Doghandler likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Doghandler's Avatar
    Mythbusters have created their own mythology and they are it.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Mythbuster setups are so flawed.
    I think they do a pretty darn good job...

i can buy a knife that slide onto the rail on my glock and custom make a holster for iwb carry and then i can have a knife and a gun at a gun fight.

TVJ
    Go test this yourself in aggressive Force on Force with training knives, airsoft and a fast attacker. Lube the training knife with lots of lipstick to see the effect. If you find yourself being a little slow, substitute dog poo on the training knife for lipstick.
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links