Tactical Training Class Using a Revolver

This is a discussion on Tactical Training Class Using a Revolver within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Since I have got my carry permit several months ago, I been looking into taking a tactical training class. Notwithstanding that I was in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Training Class Using a Revolver

Tactical Training Class Using a Revolver

Since I have got my carry permit several months ago, I been looking into taking a tactical training class. Notwithstanding that I was in the military and have owned a gun and shot at ranges, the wisdom I got from this Forum suggests that to be properly prepared to actually defend myself and family, if necessary, I should take a good tactical training class. The problem I found is that my carry gun is a S&W 642 revolver, and the tactical training sites I have visited all seem to require use of a pistol. It seems to me that if I train using a pistol when I actually carry a revolver, I will lose a lot of the benefit from the training. Can I get some advice on this? And, by the way, I live in the South Florida area. Thanks.

Ron

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I believe most of the good schools are pretty revolver neutral , or offer revolver specific classes. I wont go out on a limb and recommend one over another , Just do a bit of google work , contact the ones you might be able to attend and ask a few questions .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    I went to Massad Ayoob's Lethal Force Institute (LFI) I and II on August 1986 in NH. They were great courses. The top shooter in my LFI I class shot a S&W J-Frame .38 Spl (I think it was a 642 as well, but I don't remember). Several of us were either LEOs or military/ex-military, and most of us shot semi-autos in several configurations. I shot a BHP Mark II 9mm. Despite the "superior" hardware we had compared to him, that guy's skill made him the guy to beat....and we couldn't.

I don't think carrying your 642 to a shooting school is a problem; just be aware of the gun's and/or your limitations. I'm sure you'll do fine at such a course!

I agree, if you plan on attending such a course, I'd take the hardware you will carry on a daily basis and not something else. The great things about those courses is the stress you undergo; what better way to see how you and your equipment will function in such an environment.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Administrator
    srfl said it all, take what you are going to carry. There is nothing wrong with a revolver, if the school you find won't accept one, its not worth going to.

If you want to come on up to southern Ohio, we have a great one here I can recommend.

Thanks all for your input and confirmation of my feeling that I ought to train with what I carry. I will now embark upon a internet search for a good school which will let me use my revolver.

Ron

Here in Texas they have a silly provision in the CCW training. If you qualify with a revolver you are only allowed to carry a revolver. But if you quality with an automatic, you can carry an auto or a revolver.

This could have some bearing on the Texas based schools.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    Here in Texas they have a silly provision in the CCW training. If you qualify with a revolver you are only allowed to carry a revolver. But if you quality with an automatic, you can carry an auto or a revolver.

This could have some bearing on the Texas based schools.
    That is silly. I thought you were going to say, train with a auto, carry a auto, train with a revolver, carry a revolver. That would make sense.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If you get qaulity training when shooting a pistol, the lessens will carry over to shooting your revolver.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Thanks all for your input and confirmation of my feeling that I ought to train with what I carry. I will now embark upon a internet search for a good school which will let me use my revolver.

Ron
    $100 plus shipping and paypal for four days of handgun training at Frontsight near Las Vegas.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweatnbullets View Post
    $100 plus shipping and paypal for four days of handgun training at Frontsight near Las Vegas.
    Hunh? A hundred bucks for 4 days training??? Seems a little on the cheap side.... does it come with a free steak buffet?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Senior Member Array Sweatnbullets's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    Hunh? A hundred bucks for 4 days training??? Seems a little on the cheap side.... does it come with a free steak buffet?

Yep, it is cheap! I used to give them away, but people kept losing them, since they held no value to them.

Sorry, free food in Vegas went out in the eighties. But you might get a free cup of coffee or tea at Frontsight.

Ron, definitely open to revolvers in these courses. My buddy and I have taken many with our wheel guns.

Sponsor
    Ron,

This review from a woman who attended our last Integrated Threat Focused Training Systems [ ITFTS ] course in Knoxville last month. She used a snub revo until it crapped out [ a Taurus ], then was loaned another snub to finish the weekend [ a S+W ].

Revos do well in the classes ITFTS holds across the country and here in Arizona.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...read.php?t=546

post #18 of that link.

You'll notice in the photos that accompany that thread, there are a few revos on the line besides Linda's.

The skills we impart to others are not dependant on certain types of arms [ handguns ], and as you'll read, the women [ 5 of them out of 14 in the class ] were not lacking in using revos or their small semi autos like the Bersa Jamie used all weekend, which happen to be their daily ccw carry weapons.

It's encouraged, not discouraged in the courses.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Ron,

This review from a woman who attended our last Integrated Threat Focused Training Systems [ ITFTS ] course in Knoxville last month. She used a snub revo until it crapped out [ a Taurus ], then was loaned another snub to finish the weekend [ a S+W ].

Revos do well in the classes ITFTS holds across the country and here in Arizona.

http://www.threatfocused.com/forums/...read.php?t=546

post #18 of that link.

You'll notice in the photos that accompany that thread, there are a few revos on the line besides Linda's.

The skills we impart to others are not dependant on certain types of arms [ handguns ], and as you'll read, the women [ 5 of them out of 14 in the class ] were not lacking in using revos or their small semi autos like the Bersa Jamie used all weekend, which happen to be their daily ccw carry weapons.

It's encouraged, not discouraged in the courses.

Brownie
    Brownie, thanks for this very helpful information. Is there plans to offer courses in my area any time soon? I live in Jupiter, Florida, 30 minutes or so south of West Palm Beach. I looked for a web site but couldn't find one? Did I just miss it?

Ron
    Last edited by Ron; November 22nd, 2006 at 12:01 PM. Reason: add

Sponsor
    Ron,

I am talking with one other in Fla who has interest in sponsoring the ITFTS training in your state presently. Not sure when that might develop into a course there at this time.

If you are interested in sponsoring a course yourself and can secure a venue [ liability insurances are in place ], pm me and we can discuss it further.

Two courses are scheduled in Knoxville in May 07 [ back to back weekends of May 12-13 and 19-20 ], and I'm staying during the week as several prior students are interested in one on one between the two weekend dates.

I've actually been thinking of using a snub revo during the pistol weekend next year in Knoxville myself. Looking forward to corresponding with you on this.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; November 22nd, 2006 at 06:36 PM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

In my opinion shooting my 637 well actually made my 1911 shooting awesome.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links