40+ acres in Superior, Arizona

This is a discussion on 40+ acres in Superior, Arizona within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've negotiated with the owners of a silver mine in Superior, Az to have exclusive use of 40 privately owned acres, divided into two seperate ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40+ acres in Superior, Arizona

Sponsor

40+ acres in Superior, Arizona

I've negotiated with the owners of a silver mine in Superior, Az to have exclusive use of 40 privately owned acres, divided into two seperate parcels, for firearms training. One parcel is 22 acres, the other just under 20 acres, both in close proximity to each other. Topographical maps are being used to develop the most advantageous use and development of ranges and get the best use of the space available.

In the works are two rifle ranges that will include a range for the big 50cal sniper rifles reaching out to a distance of 3/4 of a mile; two pistol ranges out to 30 yds; and a smaller rifle range which can accomodate distances to 400 yds or a little more.

The property is located 7 miles from the nearest town or paved road, taking about 25 minutes to reach the area by vehicles on dirt road. It's remote, and upon entering the secured gate is another three miles to where we are developing the ranges.

Planned within the next 6 months to a year is a building that will act as a clubhouse and restaurant with facilities, and other amenitities as deemed appropriate to members.

Speaking of members, this will be a private range area and not open to the general public. There is discussion presently to hold yearly private membership to 100 people, but that is in the early stages of thinking right now.

The priorities will be to lay out and upgrade the landscape to accomodate the ranges in the next several months, then work on getting a building up to accomodate a grill, tables, restrooms, etc.

Presently there are two police organizations [ county sheriffs office and a local agency ] who have expressed interest in the use of the ranges when we are ready to go, and we are looking at the possibility of yearly contracts with these agencies who would have use of one of the parcels through scheduling in advance, so that other members and training would not interfere with their needs.

Two students coming in the end of the month from Pa for 5 days will be the first to see the area and train on the property.

This is what the area looked like in the late 1800's when an incorporated town was formed for the hundreds of miners who worked the silver ore from the mine [ the buildings are long gone at this time ]. The main vertical shaft is 1000 feet deep with several levels moving horizontal at 200, 500, 600 and 750 feet. It is very similiar to the harsh mountainous terrain found in Afghanistan and would be ideal for troops to train in in preparation for deployment as well.

When training in Arizona with the Integrated Threat Focused Training Systems curriculum, students will be at this location where I have an exclusive use agreement.

Brownie
    Attached Images
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

2. Remove Ads

congratulations on the range, that is very cool.
    man i wish i lived closer to Arizona lol
    911 Government sponsored dial a prayer!

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Looks very cool, sir! Solid business plan. If you are looking for people over the summer (possibly spring) who can work simunition force-on-force engagements, I have experience doing it with a federal agency. Only down side is that I'm currently up in Prescott. Contact me via PM if you're interested.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Administrator

Thumbs up Brownie.........NEAT!

The place looks absolutely fantastic. My Best of Luck to you in getting it all set up and running smoothly. Looks like a great place to get in some "down & dirty" serious~fun shooting.
    Perhaps I'll get to pop off a few rounds with you some future day in "AZQK Country."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Sponsor
    SixBravo;

It's going to take some months to get things rolling on setup of the ranges, but I'll definately be interested and appreciate your kind offer. Sounds like fun.

Thanks DILLIGAF.

QKShooter;

Anytime you can make, the offer is extended and open to bang some rds together.

Brownie

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    congrats I hope it all comes togeather smoothly for you .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    AzQkr, as already stated,I lease some acreage in southern Alabama. I have 9 others that help me pay the lease and insurance. All of us are retired military with similar backgrounds. Our place is used for hunting and shooting. It is rural property with no buildings except for one pole barn. When it's not hunting season we have "matches". We shoot 3 gun,just not on the same day.

Our "sniper" competition is held at a 300yd. range with 1/2 size targets. We have a moving target system and we also shoot from the bed of a moving Tacoma at stationary targets. Nothing fancy but we work and get awful dirty.

I'm surprised that more shooters don't get together to form a "club",rent or lease some property, and set up their own range. It doesn't have to be fancy. You can train as hard or as easy as you want to. To me,this style of training is the best. It's lots better than simply shooting at paper at a predetermined distance.-------

I realize this is early, but have you given any thought on membership pricing yet?
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Sponsor
    RSSZ;

Your suggestion is well worth people looking into. Good to hear you have your own place as well and people help out. Makes for some interesting times indeed.

A1C Lickey;

It in the early stages of discussion, we are going to take a look at expenses to get this fully operational and then we'll have a better idea.

Brownie

Great idea but a Caveat.

Word of caution, check on the lands status, do they actually own the land or is it a Claim and if it is it a patented claim, do this before you invest a lot of $$$
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Sponsor
    Sheldon J;

It's been documented through land court and is in fact privately owned by the present mine owners with both the State of Az, the federal government and specifically Bureau of Land Management [ land abutting the mine and private acreage is under BLM control ].

Appreciate the concern for my safety and the heads up sir.

Brownie

Extremely envious here!

Sounds like a a sweet deal. Best of luck.

Sponsor
    Thanks TattooWings

Brownie

Sponsor
    The meeting went well Thanksgiving morning.

We have staked out 4 rifle ranges that include 100-150; 250; 400; and 1200 yrds. These ranges make use of the topography and natural landscape we have available to us.

We also staked out the two pistol ranges while we were at it.

We've agreed to accept 300 members initially, as well as contracts with the local sheriffs dept and one local dept who have secured their range times when quals come up with advance notice of same.

We are also going to allow other instructors to come in and hold their classes on the ranges as well if they need a venue in Arizona.

Everything should be in place by the end of March-April 07

Brownie

Sponsor
    Just finished up with a student from Pa who shot the Quick Kill Rifle portion of the training at the new ranges.

He was brought up to speed on the Quick Kill rifle on the bbguns in my backyard then taken to one of the deep ravine/washes where he "hunted" targets of opportunity and various "threats" with my sks.

He threw 540 rds of 7.62x39 downrange anywhere from 30-250 yds without the use of sites and without looking at the rifle, well below line of sight in less than 6 hours. All "threats" were roughly the size of a human torso and were well above and below his position.

He was given the opportunity to sling up and shoot threats from a ridge at distances of between 250 to 500 yds using the rifles sights at the end of the day.

Brownie
    Last edited by AzQkr; December 8th, 2006 at 01:28 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links