Weak side defense?

This is a discussion on Weak side defense? within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In a Mas Ayoob class several years ago, we had an exercise for weak side defense. That is, if your strong side is pinned against ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Weak side defense?

Distinguished Member

Weak side defense?

In a Mas Ayoob class several years ago, we had an exercise for weak side defense. That is, if your strong side is pinned against a wall, held at check by the bad guy, etc. what do you have/do on your weak side for defense?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

2. Remove Ads

I carry SOG Slim Jim in my left front pocket. I really don't think of it as a weapon, but in that situation it's better than nothing.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    I'm having a hard time picturing what you have in mind. Please describe a bit more. Are you pinned face to the wall or face forward? On what part of your body is your attacker's strong arm? Is he right handed? Is he using one arm to pin and one
    to hold a weapon against you, or two arms to pin; where are they?

I'll try to give you an answer once I can better visualize what you have in mind. Then, after several folks have posted
    answers, I'll play with the options at the gym and let you know what I think might really work.

Lots of these situations can be handled just by raising an arm and rotating; or using your feet and/or elbows.
    glockman10mm and 40Bob like this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Microtech otf weak side back pocket can operate with one hand

I'm with Hopyard. I need more detail. There is no such thing as strong side or weak side if you train properly, and I'm not talking about using a firearm.
    Hopyard and Hoganbeg like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Assuming you mean that I'm right handed and have my gun pinned against my chest in my hand, or my right hand is being used where I can't reach my gun in my holster, I carry a Benchmade knife if either my front or back pocket to grab with my left hand.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    TDI
    aznav likes this.

Benchmade auto-open knife. I am left-handed but carry and shoot right-handed because I am right eye dominant. It makes week hand drills a snap.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.

NRA Endowment Life Member.

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by aznav View Post
    In a Mas Ayoob class several years ago, we had an exercise for weak side defense. That is, if your strong side is pinned against a wall, held at check by the bad guy, etc. what do you have/do on your weak side for defense?
    With strong-side firearm carry, the weak side either has a BUG, knife and/or pepper spray.

There are all sorts of situations where one side or the other cannot be accessed, either due to circumstance, injury, being pinned or whatever. I much prefer to have a couple options available to a given hand. There's also the feet, elbows, forehead, quick/strong moves (if some simple H2H/CQB type physical skills have been learned), and playing dirty, too, which can be effective weapons in their own right.
    aznav likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    Assuming you mean that I'm right handed and have my gun pinned against my chest in my hand, or my right hand is being used where I can't reach my gun in my holster, I carry a Benchmade knife if either my front or back pocket to grab with my left hand.
    Nice situation to try in the gym in the morning. Thanks.

Added much later. IF forearm is pinned against your chest near your wrist, this is a no brainer
    to break from, and something readily done empty handed or with a knife or flashlight in your hand. With a pistol in your hand you could flex your wrist and go pow.

If pinned with your wrist against your chest it is a little more interesting problem.
    Back after 11:30 AM Friday Central Time and I'll let you know what I think works.
    Also, I'm still unsure what the OP's scenario really was. Hope he comes back and
    adds detail.
    Last edited by Hopyard; May 9th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

AOK
    Depends on A LOT of things. Fights such as these are such a dynamic environment you never know what opportunities may present itself. With that said, don't count on being able to automatically bring your secondary tool into the fight if you find yourself in that position. He could already be coming at you with his own weapon, he may have an under hook or some form of tie up with your reaction hand and you may not be able to access a secondary tool. In fact trying to bring that into the fight very well make a bad situation worse.

My primary default thoughts are retention, am I being attacked with a weapon, not getting knocked unconscious or getting taken down to the floor. If he isn't attacking me with a tool or his fists/elbows then the focus is on carrying out combatives/softening techniques and regaining control of your arm and/or weapon (and not particularly in that order).

Distinguished Member
    Hmmm, sorry. Ok, I'm talking about either on the ground or up against a wall with your gun pinned in your holster and your strong arm immobilized. What do you do with your weak side IF you can't get your hand and gun free?
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

The first thing I would do is spit in the attacker's face and bring my knees and elbows into the fight to try to free myself. Of course, if I had a weak side weapon of some kind I would attempt to use it. If I was pinned to the ground with someone on top of me I would try to bite off ears,nose, fingers etc. If I managed to free my gun hand I would shoot from any position that would not hit me. If all that failed I would cuss him severely before he killed me.

VIP Member
    @OP I misunderstood what you had in mind. I though you were talking about a scenario in which you began to draw
    from a cross draw holster and you attacker shoved your arm or wrist back against your chest. I played with that this
    morning and it really is a no brainer problem when you are in the moment and need to react. I had someone
    shove my gun hand against my chest while simultaneously pinning my left shoulder, or pushing a forearm into my throat.

The two issues here quickly are gun retention and not shooting your offside hand as you try to bring it into play.
    If you start out with it below the level of the muzzle, there is no way to bring it up to thwack the head without bringing
    the arm in front of the gun.

Knees against knee can cause your attacker to rotate to his right, and as he does that your gun points straight at his
    chest and goes boom. (Or with our play gun, click.)

I've repeated stated here I am not a tough guy. I am not naturally athletic. I started learning MA techniques after
    I got a CHL as I realized that in up close situations the gun is a limited tool. At 70, and not in the best of health, I try to
    play 3 days a week, and I urge anyone who carries to get some self-defense training and/or force on force training.

The gun isn't a magic tool, and there are plenty of situations where an impact tool such as a flashlight, a knife, pepper,
    and some H2H skills might bring things to an end without the need to puncture someone with lead. There are also many situations in which you need to make space to bring a gun into play.

After reading the OP's clarification, post 13 seems like a pretty good answer though I might try a head butt to the nose
    instead of the spit. There's nothing like a broken nose to take the fight out of folks.
    aznav, TSiWRX and glockman10mm like this.
    Andrew Jackson

AOK
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I've repeated stated here I am not a tough guy. I am not naturally athletic. I started learning MA techniques after
    I got a CHL as I realized that in up close situations the gun is a limited tool. At 70, and not in the best of health, I try to
    play 3 days a week, and I urge anyone who carries to get some self-defense training and/or force on force training.

Hopyard-

I hope when I'm your age I'm still training like you! That is absolutely awesome!
    aznav likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links