What's your stance

This is a discussion on What's your stance within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Weaver? Modified Weaver (locking your elbow on your primary arm)? Isosceles? Another hybrid or your own funky style? And why? Just curious why you decided ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: What's your stance

What's your stance

Weaver? Modified Weaver (locking your elbow on your primary arm)? Isosceles? Another hybrid or your own funky style? And why? Just curious why you decided on the stance you use. Fire away!

2. Remove Ads

I started with and continue using the standard Weaver stance. For me it's all about comfortably and quickly getting to my natural point of aim. I do that best with the Weaver. I'm right handed and right eye dominant so the Weaver stance drops my eye right in line with my sights without much effort.

I struggle to get comfortable with the modified Weaver and especially the isosceles. The isosceles really messes up my aim for some reason.

I have the same problem with isosceles. I just can't get comfortable with it. Another vote for the Weaver here.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

I always hang in a buffalo stance.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    What's your stance
    Whatever the situation calls for.

You may have to shoot laying on your back, or "you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile" (David Byrne).
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Gangsta style - one handed and gun held sideways.

For target practice - shown in avatar. And for real life scenario which I hope I never have to experience, of course, what OD said.

What are we talking about? Combat? Target? Hunting?

I do what I need to do at the time it needs done.
    OD* and WHEC724 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    I go from Horse, to Preying Mantis, to Monkey real fast.
    OD* likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What are we talking about? Combat? Target? Hunting?

I do what I need to do at the time it needs done.
    Target mainly. But also the stance you'd default to if a situation allows you to execute a proper draw.

What is your "stance?"

I A little farther down the page.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by DetChris View Post
    Target mainly. But also the stance you'd default to if a situation allows you to execute a proper draw.
    Weaver for target. But for combat shooting, I have learned there is no proper draw as we like to think of it.

I have a technique for shooting that allows for natural protection of my vitals, if, caught out in the open, and without the ability to find cover. This is a natural flowing and melting technique that is a mdified Weaver.

And the other technique is a one handed up close and fast shooting technique that lends itself to moving and shooting, as the situation calls for.
    DetChris likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Do you do the dive every time you dance?
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

The situation will dictate what my stance is. I believe that consistency breeds efficiency. I use a modified Isosceles
    OD* likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Weaver for target. But for combat shooting, I have learned there is no proper draw as we like to think of it.

I have a technique for shooting that allows for natural protection of my vitals, if, caught out in the open, and without the ability to find cover. This is a natural flowing and melting technique that is a mdified Weaver.

And the other technique is a one handed up close and fast shooting technique that lends itself to moving and shooting, as the situation calls for.
    Please elaborate if you can. Front arm elbow more bent than normal and close to the body, for example?

OD*
    I believe in Bruce Lee's philosophy;
    “Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.”
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links