The Reactive Draw Stroke

This is a discussion on The Reactive Draw Stroke within the Defensive Carry & Tactical Training forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is some food for thought on just what the draw stroke should be for those who carry for defense. Like many of you, I ...

Thread: The Reactive Draw Stroke

Distinguished Member Array Bill MO's Avatar

The Reactive Draw Stroke

Here is some food for thought on just what the draw stroke should be for those who carry for defense.

Like many of you, I spent years perfecting my “combat draw” in the static world of the Modern Technique. I prided myself on being able to perform a perfect Five Step Presentation and hit the head box from seven yards in under a second. Front sight, compressed surprise break, fluidly fast with no wasted movement. Text book. I shot 500 rounds a day five days a week. Starting with my hand on the gun I could do it in under a half second! (twice as slow as Bob Munden). I practiced so much I got tennis elbow in both elbows. I was a perfect example of “You don’t know what you don’t know.” I thought I was preparing myself for the fight. But I was wrong. Now I know. At least, I know more now than then, and now I think about the draw stroke from an entirely different perspective.

Let’s review a few foundational concepts from the Combative Technique. There are two types of gunfights: Proactive and Reactive. The tactical principle which determines where on the spectrum between these two your fight falls is Initiative. There are two priorities in a gunfight: Not getting shot, and stopping the threat with effective hits. Which of these two priorities is most important depends on how much initiative is in your favor. For the sniper whose presence is unknown by his target, initiative is fully in his favor. When he decides to take the shot all his focus is on making the hit, as he has little worry of being shot. On the other end of the spectrum, if you look up to see a drawn gun pointed at you with sinister intention, and your hand is not even on your gun, initiative is with your enemy and all your focus in that moment needs to be on not getting shot. How does one keep from getting shot? MOVE!
    Read more here:

WARRIOR TALK NEWS - The Reactive Draw Stroke
    It's gotta be who you are, not a hobby. reinman45

"Is this persons bad behavior worth me having to kill them over?" Guantes

2. Remove Ads

Links